Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elven Units

It may be enough. Still, always room for more, lol.

Unicorns.... Individual CR3... Good call. I like it.

I was corrected by a friend and it turns out that Giant Eagles are in fact intelligent so they would make a fine stand alone unit after all. For some reason I thought they were just... very big eagles similar to how a dire bear is a very big bear (still INT 2) but that is not the case. My friend also pointed out that Dire Bears, Giant Eagles, and even Unicorns are all summonable creatures by the various Summon Natures Ally spells.

That's part of the reason we chose them. Still, on reflection, I think giant eagles would be better for wandering monsters than a producible unit. In my mind it fits in more with the Tolkien lore which (I believe) was the original inspiration for them. Plus, when you add it with the idea of diplomacy being able to persuade certain wondering monsters to join you it could be really cool. If you found a giant eagle you might be able to convince them to join forces with you.

With respect to the cultures discussion if the decision is made to implement different cultures within the races (something I'm not a fan of) then I do think that means the elves need to be split up further. Right now the "Elf" faction (as detailed here so far) is a conglomerate of multiple different Elf types in D20. Setting aside half-elves (which aren't truly a subrace and don't typically have their own distinct culture), dark elves, and aquatic elves there are still High, Gray, Wood, and Wild elves. I assume that the Druid and Ranger units are Wood Elves for example. Sorcerers could be wild elves as that's their preferred class. Both Wild and Wood elves have the strong connection to nature. On the other hand High and Gray elves more urban and less nature oriented, their preferred class is wizard and I'd expect a cleric instead of a druid for divine magic. I wouldn't suggest making a different culture for EACH of the four surface elf types but IF different cultures ARE implemented (again, not a huge fan) then I would suggest splitting it into to with a Wood/Wild elf faction (mostly based off what we have here) and a High/Gray elf faction.

The current Elf race is rather a homogenization of several elvish cultures. If we do implement cultural lines we'll probably want to break them up. Much like you suggest actually

Here are some ideas if the decision is made to break down elves into cultures. I would suggest that the "surface" elves (excluding Drow and Aquatic) be broken into the Noble Elf faction composed of both High and Gray elves (I'd actually still call the faction High Elves not Noble but I use Noble here so as not to be confusing with the High Elf race name) and the Sylvan Elf faction composed of the Wood and Wild elves.

Noble Elves: (High Elves get +2 Dex, -2 Con; Gray Elves get -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int)
    High Elf Swordsman (Chain shirt, Longsword, Steel Shield)
    High Elf Archers (Chain shirt, Composite Longbow, Longsword)
    High Elf Glaiveman (Chain shirt, Glaive, Longsword)
    High Elf Cavalry (Breastplate, Lance, Longsword, Steel Shield on Light Warhorse)
    Gray Elf Mage/Priest (Robes, Longsword) ... If unit becomes a hero does so as a Mystic Theurge
    Gray Elf Wizard (Robes, Longsword)
    High Elf Pegasus Riders (Breastplate, Composite Longbow, Longsword)

Noble elves do not get a move bonus in forests. They use only light armor on foot soldiers and ride light warhorses wearing medium armor when mounted. They all use longswords. Their units while appearing similar to High men tend to have less health (-2 Con) and wear lighter armor and thus are faster. (High Men tend toward Chainmail (Medium Armor) on Swordsman, Pikeman, Crossbowmen, etc.) Likewise human cavalry is heavier being mounted on Heavy Warhorses and wearing Heavy armor.

Sylvan Elves: (Wild Elves get +2 Dex, -2 Int; Wood Elves get +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int)
    Swordsmen (Leather Armor, Longsword, Wooden Shield)
    Archers (Leather Armor, Composite Longbow, Longsword)
    Dryad
    Unicorn
    Wood Elf Ranger (Leather Armor, Composite Longbow, Longsword on Light Warhorse)
    Wood Elf Druid (Robe, Staff)
    Wild Elf Sorcerer (Robe, Staff)
    Nymph
    Treant

I'm not sure if swordsman and archers should be wild or wood elves. Both get a bonus to Dex which could help in combat. Wild elves also get a bonus to Str but this is offset by the penalty to Con so I'm not sure if it's a net advantage in combat. Either way they trend against metal armor and metal shields (though some still use longswords) and get a bonus to move through forests.

Interesting suggestions. I think we should break the elves into cultures before we move forward. So the question is which culture gets the first slot?

I think I lean toward Sylvan Elves myself.

I too would prefer to break them before, I think it will be confusing if the game launches with "Elf" and then adds "High Elf" and "Wood Elf" (or whatever you end up calling them) with overlap later in DLC. Not to mention "Dark Elves" which is another reason I prefer to call them "Drow" and even Aquatic Elves if there is an underwater race DLC expansion later. I lean toward Sylvan Elves first as well if only one makes release, I think with Rangers, Druids, Unicorns, Nymphs, Treants, and Dryads plus the move bonus in forest on the world map they have the most "flavor".

I really hope one of the tiers in the kickstarter is: Game + all future DLC, rofl...

I am really leaning toward the Sylvan Elves. If we don't get any counter offers in the next couple of days I plan to make the change

Including the Nymphs and Dryads I just kind of slipped in there, rofl.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast