Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Afraid Of The Dark? (The Dark Elf Race)

Apprentice
    I like that. Also in MoM, didn't Dark Elves just plain not get engineers? I was playing the other night and wasn't able to build them. So pushing an engineer type unit to later tiers would keep that intact without crippling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oerwinde View Post
    I like that. Also in MoM, didn't Dark Elves just plain not get engineers? I was playing the other night and wasn't able to build them. So pushing an engineer type unit to later tiers would keep that intact without crippling them.
    yes ,in mom,you only had engineers with Dwarves and Beastmen from the Myrror races.And dwarven engineers were much better,building roads faster and such.
    With Dark Elves,Draconians and Trolls u had therefore to enslave some other races before you could build roads,which on myrror plane,gave unlimited movement.this did a good a balancing,because especially Dark elves and Draconians would have been even more overpowered otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm not sure which cultural direction I like best. I do see wanting to separate WoM from FR, however.

Of course, I like a lot of your upper tier unit ideas Happerry. Even if we pitch them from another cultural point Dark Masons could still be higher tier engineers that build faster and be more combat ready. A giant monster siege engine with a lighting gun on it's back is cool whether or not the monster is a spider, lol.

This issue seems to be divided between:

"Let's make them like Drow! It will be perfect!"

And

"Let's DON'T make them like Drow! It would be terrible!"

Me, I see both sides... More people need to weigh in.
    Well I see your problem, I think a lot of people have in mind they want to be the next Drizzit. But I have also played a whole bunch more Warhammer Fantasy. So when I think Dark elf I think corrupted High Elf pirates. But to be honest if you are sticking to MOM then Drow need to be a DLC. Drow is D&D when I hear the name.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Well, this is the dark elf thread, not the Drow thread. Dark elves are a nice commonly seen race, and they could make it into the core in my opinion. And if they are called Drow.. well, that also means Dark Elf, right? Not seeing the problem.

Totally agree.
    Make them Dark elf, riding Nightmares and invisible Darkblades. That's all I want to see!
    MoM Powaaaaaaa!

Good feedback. This is heading toward a culture vote for the race. I've got to try to work on some of that soon. Today if possible... So, so busy...

Apprentice
    Drow doesn't mean Dark Elf. Drow were Dark Elves corrupted by demons blood and Llolth. Those Drow who weren't corrupted by the Demon blood tended to be the ones who weren't naturally evil, such as the followers of Ellistrae. Ellistrae then sacrificed herself to cleanse Llolth's taint from the Dark Elves creating two distinct races, Drow, and Dark Elves.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dark Elves in the base game and Drow in an expansion as an offshoot of the Dark Elves.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    That's in... one setting. Not all the settings. And frankly the Drow's innate tendency towards being murderhappy idiots is more culture then anything else. They don't have any innate "We Be Evils Flag!" besides an annoyed demon goddess arranging their entire culture to make them be that way. Remove them from the culture, and they stop being formed by the culture.

And that separation you speak of is a purely 4ed thing, besides, and deserves to be thrown out with the rest of that idiocy. To quote the SRD, which is based on 3.5 and is what is actually being used for this... "Also known as dark elves, drow are a depraved and evil subterranean offshoot. "

The term is interchangeable.

Apprentice
    As a unique thing instead of summons how about rituals? like conditions that are set and then have to be met in order to bring in certain things? or perhaps give them the ability to have "Spider Settlers" who can go into a liar and then if they manage to destroy it claim it as there own and then produce there own units? just my thoughts :3
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Quote Originally Posted by Oerwinde View Post
    Drow doesn't mean Dark Elf. Drow were Dark Elves corrupted by demons blood and Llolth. Those Drow who weren't corrupted by the Demon blood tended to be the ones who weren't naturally evil, such as the followers of Ellistrae. Ellistrae then sacrificed herself to cleanse Llolth's taint from the Dark Elves creating two distinct races, Drow, and Dark Elves.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dark Elves in the base game and Drow in an expansion as an offshoot of the Dark Elves.
    Drow does mean Dark Elf in the D20 SRD. What you describe above is a Forgotten Realms specific variant just as "Dark Elves" in Dragonlance are something else entirely as well. Neither of these variants can be used because these campaign specific variations are not released under the OGL. Drow were created by Gary Gygax before there was a Forgotten Realms and has been used interchangeably with Dark Elf ever since. The most famous Drow is Drizzt and he happens to be of the Forgotten Realms so most people seem to assume that Drow were created as part of the Forgotten Realms but that's simply not the case. True Drow (as listed in the D20 SRD) were first defined in a series of modules that ended up being later combined into the "Super Module" "Queen of Spiders". These modules were published before Forgotten Realms even existed (well besides in Ed Greenwood's head and with his gaming group). Drow as originally defined by Gary Gygax, interchangable in meaning with Dark Elf, demonic spider theme and all ARE part of the D20 SRD and can be used.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast