Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WoM And The Seven Dwarves (Dwarven Units)

Not sure if there is a plan to add Gnomes later and I don't think it's strictly D20 but if they are added later then I'd like to see them tend more toward the tinker steampunk theme. Thus maybe a rune cannon for the dwarves instead of steam and then steam contraptions for the gnomes later.

We need to discuss the idea of gnomes and where they fit in. Some of the "lesser" races may have to be stuck in here or there. Of course, we may want to wait and make them full blown races as DLC. This too needs discussion, lol.

I'm not a big fan of halflings or gnomes at all. I certainly don't think they need to go into the core game but others do like them so I could see both as DLC later. I'm not sure their fans would consider them "lesser" races though Heck Tolkien himself was a huge fan of hobbits... err halflings. If/when gnomes are added (preferably later down the road as DLC) I'd like to see them in the "tinker" variety using a combination of magic and steam to make like their siege engine (maybe a steam tank) and possibly even a flying contraption (like a steam/magic powered blimp). It would be cool to see the art style steampunk with brass and gears all over. Heck if you're going to use gunpowder (again not a fan myself) then I could see that more with gnomes than dwarves also but to add some "flavor" make it so that while they may be one of the most powerful ranged weapons in the game... they also have a chance of blowing up in the units face balancing out their increased range/damage. Heck the stuff breaking could be a theme all the way around for them. Their steam tanks could have a slight change of breaking down each turn, not for the whole battle or anything, just kind of a "tank breaks down, lose a turn" thing before the gnomes repair it and are back on their way. My point in bringing them up here though was to stress that steam and gunpowder tech would be part of their flavor instead of dwarves and to thus try to promote the "rune" theme with the dwarves instead.

Another random thing that popped into my head along the lines of engineering is if you want another ranged unit higher up in the dwarf list having them be the race to introduce repeating crossbows seems like it would fit with their engineering theme.

Interesting ideas. And I put "lesser" in "s because I knew their fans don't think of them that way, lol. I like them both myself, although I don't play them much.

They may make it into the core game, it depends on the support they get. Still, my bet would be for DLC.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I'm with Asmodai on the Boar Riders seeming silly. I also agree that there is no real need for a mounted unit for a dwarven faction.

I'm curious about how the Berserker would fit in and the "raging" mechanic.

Halberdiers do seem a natural fit for anti-charge tactic. Also I am not a fan of gunpowder in fantasy games.

As for throwing axes, of course! Makes sense and will help with those pesky Draconians and other flying menaces. My take is that the lowly axemen and berserkers unit (if it makes the cut) would be great candidates for thrown axes.

Dwarven engineers were always the best, they could build roads faster and they could hold their own against a swordsmen unit of another race.

Wizards are a good fit for WoM, I personally don't like the idea for dwarves. I'd prefer a "Runecaster" type of unit. As in the post about factions, I'd rather see a dwarven caster more of a defensive spell casting unit, rather than offensive.

Hammerhands are a must have! Iconic dwarven figures, as tough as anvils. They practically defined the dwarves in MoM, once you could build them, there was no reason to build any other unit. Granted, we don't want them overpowered, but I feel the ultimate testament to dwarves of MoM would be to have Hammerhands.

So I guess my list would look like:

Settler
    Engineer
    Axe-men
    Halberdier
    Runecaster
    Berserker
    Hammerhands
    Golem
    Steam Cannon

Good suggestions!

I suspect the Hammerhands are actually copyrighted material, but I think you'll find dwarven defenders an excellent substitute.

Raging is going to work like Barbarian Rage in D20:

Rage

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I was wondering if it were just a semantic naming issue between Defenders and Hammerhands; "A rose by any other name..." and all that. Hopefully it isn't copyrighted, if only for the sake of my own desire.

Thanks for the link to Rage.

It is Worlds of Magic. NO GUNPOWDER NEEDED. If you need guns have them forge magic runic projectile weapons. They could shoot magic missiles out of them. Steam Cannon, seem to Steam Punk to me.

I say use the Boars.

I think we can safely say at this point that gunpowder is out. It's not very popular 'round here...

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I'm going to have to agree that Boar Riders always seemed a bit comical to me. If the dwarves are going to get Golems, maybe they could also get golem horses? Or animated construct horses, whatever. A Golem Rider unit. Or maybe just cut out the middle man and make Centaur Golems? Might not be as fast as real horses, but infinite stamina probably makes up the difference, and with all that extra weight behind them I wouldn't want to get stabbed by their spears.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast