Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WoM And The Seven Dwarves (Dwarven Units)

Golem horses! That could be cool

Having their mounts be Animated stone/metal statues is a great idea! I'm not sure they should be horses specifically but I like the idea of them crafting a statue and using Rune Magic (to tie in with Rune Casters, Rune Cannons, and Rune magic created Golems) to animate them (I really like how this fleshes out the Rune culture in the Dwarf faction.) For mechanics you can use the Large "Animated Object" listing in the D20 SRD as a base for the mount which makes much more sense then using them for Golems. Of course this would give the Dwarves a more powerful (though not ridiculously so) mounted unit than most (CR for large animated objects is 3 while a heavy warhorse is 1) which does seem a bit odd but to me at least this is dripping with flavor.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

In this case I do think it makes sense to make these units based off of the resources available to the city producing them. So maybe default the mounts to stone, but allow them to be made from Iron, Mithril, or Adamantine if the city has access to that resource. For "Animated Objects" what it is made out of doesn't radically effect it's capabilities as it does with Golems.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Well, Animated Objects are probably more expensive then warhorses too. If, say, you had dwarfs riding animated boar statues, or animated giant rat statues, or just animated suits of horse armor, it's make sense to me if their was only like two of them per unit or something, because they would be more expensive to build then a horse is to grow, and their riders probably need extra training too...

Though I still like my golem centaur idea.

You could absolutely offset the higher CR for animated objects by longer production time, higher cost, greater upkeep (maybe even mana upkeep here as well) or some other such combination.

Personally I Don't associate Dwarves with animals at all so I'd like of like to see their "Animated Object" mounts something else... though I'm not sure what.

The Speed listing for Animated Objects in the SRD says:
    30 ft. legs, 40 ft. multiple legs, 60 ft. wheels

So depending on how fast you want it you could have 4 legs and be slightly slower than a Heavy Warhorse (50 ft.) or wheels and be as fast as a Light Warhorse.
    Along the Golem Centaur idea I'm not even opposed to dropping the whole mount thing and having the unit stand alone (no dwarf riding it.) Some sort of multi-legged or wheeled animated contraption to go along with the rune cannon or golem makes more sense to me than a Dwarf riding a pig, rofl. Heck if everyone wants a boar so ban than at least make an animated boar statue encrusted with runes but I still don't get the boar connection to Dwarves.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Maybe a Rune Crusher? A giant animated wheel that just runs over people with it's piked rim. Or has flails attacked to its rim so it just needs to spin to thwack everyone around it.

Or a Runic Scorpion for a animated cavalry type golem. I mean, stone pincers hurt, and even if the tail doesn't have any poison we all know how much sharp pointy objects at high speeds hurt, right?

There's a lot of material there. I need to give it a think. This might be something to get concept art of before we decide, lol.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    I have no problem with Boars as mounts as they are stubborn and thick-headed; a good analogy for the Dwarfish character. As for their magic users the common representation for them in games are runes, which separate them quite nicely from the other magic-users. Perhaps a Rune-caster throws engraved stones at units, breaking them and unleashing the spell within whether they be buffs on friendlies or missiles at enemies. They are more powerful than standard magic but must have a clear LOS to the target to throw. Also, range is limited. That might give them some flavour.

Like throwing the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. Still the Hand grenade idea would be unique.

Hand grenades to me are too similar to gunpowder. I really like the idea of them using rune inscribed throwing weapons that return. Or better yet just given them a Dwarven Thrower

Yeah that is a good idea, much more Dwarf like.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast