Thread: Unofficial Mentalist Spell List

Unofficial Mentalist Spell List

It was harder than I thought, some spells don't belong anywhere, others belong everywhere :P

Tier 1:

Sleep
    Mind Thrust

Tier 2:

Invisibility
    Mirror Image

Tier 3:

Hold Creature (I don't think it should be divided into two spells.
    Heroism

Tier 4:

Confusion
    Phantasmal Killer

Tier 5:

Dominate Creature
    Feeblemind

Tier 6:

True Seeing
    Teleport

Tier 7:

Power Word Blind
    Mass Invisibility

Tier 8:

Power Word Stun
    Mind Blank

Tier 9:

Power Word Kill
    Time Stop

Very cool! We'll certainly take it into consideration. It looks a lot like what we had put together, lol.

In the next few days we'll have to discuss it

Apprentice
    Ohh this is a good thread, for your "Dominate Creature" spell is it possible to have riders that can then mount said dominated beast and if we were to Dominate a specific creature, say in terms of spiders a "Brood Mother" type creature is it possible for them to start a "Lair" that's allied to us and we can effectively "Recruit" wild beasts

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Should we also have City focused spells in this? I think mentalism is a rather panic inducing orb so perhaps "Panic" or such can be added which causes a city to have a mini revolt or some sort of spell which causes units in a city to revolt and separate from the main city
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Quote Originally Posted by James Davey View Post
    [/COLOR]Should we also have City focused spells in this? I think mentalism is a rather panic inducing orb so perhaps "Panic" or such can be added which causes a city to have a mini revolt or some sort of spell which causes units in a city to revolt and separate from the main city
    Sure, spells that increase unrest would be cool and if the enemy wizard can't stop the spell maybe the city could change sides with their citizens mind-controlled. I mostly added combat spells but strategic spells can open more possibilities. Cities could also use some kind of invisibility (or illusion) spell so that oher players can't see them on the map.

Apprentice
    Cities could also use some kind of invisibility (or illusion) spell so that oher players can't see them on the map.
    now that would be cool, create a mirror image of your city and then invis your city nearby and the mirror imaged city can only be revealed by "True Sight" being entered or a mass dispel :L that just sounds really awesome
    Limit of the thousands hands, respectful hands, unable to touch the darkness. Shooting hands unable to reflect the blue sky. The road that basks in light, the wind that ignited the embers, time that gathers when both are together, there is no need to be hesitant, obey my orders. Light bullets, eight bodies, nine items, book of heaven, diseased treasure, great wheel, grey fortress tower. Aim far away, scatter brightly and cleanly when fired

Quote Originally Posted by James Davey View Post
    now that would be cool, create a mirror image of your city and then invis your city nearby and the mirror imaged city can only be revealed by "True Sight" being entered or a mass dispel :L that just sounds really awesome
    They could also make some sort of illusion spell that you could put anywhere. So you could change a Dragon's Dungeon into a city (neutral, yours or whatever) and wait for someone to try to invade it.
    Last edited by Aldaron; 04-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Apprentice
    Illusionory units aswell maybe? mirrored armies and the like maybe an illusionory dragon that attacks a city? I do love the idea of utalising a fake city on a dungeon :P maybe fake gold aswell like say using it in a trade and once said trade is complete the gold vanishes? pretty evil maneuver there'd have to be some way of countering that though, not sure what perhaps being in the mentalist tree grants a bonus to detecting stuff like that

Wild ideas guys. Keep em coming!

Arcane Candidate
    The mentalist spell list (sphere?) could be a very solid addition to the game, but I think you want to carefully define its capabilities if you ever want to balance it against the other spheres, and to maintain its unique flavor - I am reminded of how blue was overpowered in the old pre-alpha build of Magic: the Gathering because the developers didn't focus it enough at first.

I love the idea of deceiving your enemies with illusionary reinforcements (on the battle map and even the strategic map), putting enemy units to sleep - or even charming or dominating them, affecting the mental state of cities (positively or negatively), viewing remote parts of the map (or other planes) through mental projection or clairvoyance, and generally being a major pain to your enemies. I also think that having the ability to do very much direct damage would make the sphere too good, and I'm not sure if teleport belongs in it - I think having the ability to teleport champions and units would be the single most powerful ability in any game like this, and if it's allowed at all it should be done through gates built in cities or captured as unique locations.

That said, I'll need to post some mentalist spells of my own soon.

Chris

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

What would it be like to face a powerful mentalist? I think it could be summed up in one word - paranoia. You would face an enemy who knows the hearts and minds of your cities and citizens, who can view the world with a thought, and who can turn even your staunchest friends against you. You can never be sure if what your senses tell you is real or an illusion, and whenever you lay down to rest, you will never know whether they are watching...

I envision the Mentalist (orb?) as possessing powers of divination, illusion, and mental influence. Some units (like golems and perhaps undead) would be immune, which would be a check on the sphere's power.

(low level effects)

Clairvoyance - reveals a region on the Prime Plane map.

Charm - enemy unit treats your units as friendly, so it will not attack your units [even if ordered], provides flanking and other tactical benefits to your units, and, if a caster, may even use random beneficial effects on your troops. If a unit is affected by both this spell and Disloyalty, then it is effectively under your control for as long as both spells last. Charm could also break a Disolyalty effect on one of your units - both spells would cancel.

Daze - Causes an enemy unit to miss its next few turns

Disloyalty - subject unit now treats friendly units as enemies, impeding their movement, taking attacks of opportunity against them, refusing to let them through their space [if that's permitted in this game], and no longer providing flanking or other tactical benefits to other enemy units. The subject unit will no longer accept commands from the enemy player, but will not take orders from you either. If a unit is affected by both this spell and Charm, then it is effectively under your control for as long as both spells last. Disloyalty could also break a Charm effect on one of your units - both spells would cancel.

Forgetfulness - subject unit loses all special abilities (spellcasting, feats, etc, but not enchantments nor movement modes) while this spell lasts.

Phantasmal Reinforcements - makes a unit of your soldiers appear whole, even if it is only at partial strength. As an added bonus, these illusionary soldiers can absorb hits that your actual soldiers would otherwise suffer, so although this spell would not repair the attack strength of the unit, it could give the unit "temporary hit points" (though only up to its normal maximum).

Psychic Infiltration - This city enchantment subverts a handful of citizens into informants in the subject city, which reveal all kinds of useful details (as if you had a spy in the city, probably minus the ability to order sabotage missions).

Read Thoughts - reveals details on a unit or champion (class/level, stats, spells known, feats selected, current HP and mana, morale, enchantments on the unit, etc)

(mid-level effects)

Dominate - Takes direct control of an enemy unit - as both Charm and Disloyalty.

Massmorph - This enchantment changes the appearance of a tile on the main map to be whatever you desire. This can be used to place false cities or dungeons, or obscure actual cities, dungeons, or resources. Any unit that actually enters the subject tile breaks the spell and gets to see what is really there.

Mental Projection - reveals a region on a map from any plane.

Phantasmal Army - Creates an illusionary army on the main map. This army looks real and can blockade cities and production tiles, but can not actually capture anything. If cast on an existing army, the caster can choose to add phantasmal units to the army (so as to make an army look far more threatening).

Phantasmal Force - Creates an illusionary unit on the battle map. This army can deal and receive damage. It will need to be discussed how to determine what units can be created - perhaps any existing unit on the field could be 'mirrored', or perhaps you will want to assign a number of 'army points' to the spell based on the proficiency of the caster (so it's easier to make illusionary footmen than illusionary knights, for example).

Psychic Projection - You manifest a psychic projection on the battle map. This allows you to cast spells directly into the battle minus any penalties for distance from your capital or even across planes. It would also greatly increase the morale of your forces and possibly penalize the morale of enemy forces.

Riot - This city spell causes a percentage of citizens to go mad for a time. Houses are burned, production is halted, income and research decrease or stop.

Serenity - This city enchantment improves the morale of the subject city.

Unrest - This city enchantment lowers the morale of the subject city.

(high-level effects)

Mass Domination - This world map spell attempts to take over an army. Effect may depend on the power of the caster or how much 'extra mana' is spent. If an army is only partly turned, it may trigger a battle as units loyal to you fight units loyal to the original owner.

Mindnet - This global enchantment links the minds of all your citizens. The result is that your troops and cities all have excellent morale, and all your non-champion units function at a higher level than normal (since they are linked directly to the minds of their commanders).

Phantasmal Terror - creates an illusion of a terrifyingly powerful unit (like a dragon or perhaps some Cthulian horror) that deals and receives damage. Would probably have the ability to auto-kill weak units on hit (as a nod to the old Phantasmal Killer spell).

Revolution - This spell slowly subverts the target city. Morale decays over time as the spell works until it reaches zero and the city revolts. Morale then builds up over time and (if left undisturbed), the city will join you from a neutral state if the spell runs to completion.

Well, it's enough to talk about anyway.

Chris
    Last edited by Eevle; 04-16-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Hey Chirs, it's good to see you here

Good suggestions. I think you've got the idea of Mentalism. The specifics will have to be banged out obviously, but all this is moving in the right direction. I agree that too much direct damage wouldn't fit, but I think things like Power Word Kill are a good idea. You told your enemies to die so they did, lol. That kind of thing. Of course, we may have to tweak specific spells to make them a good fit, but that shouldn't be too difficult.