Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Little People (The Halfling Race)

The Little People (The Halfling Race)

Continuing our theme of discussing races that might make it into the game this post is all about halflings. Do you love them, hate them, are you indifferent? In my mind they could certainly be an interesting faction because they're not normally associated with empires. But what would have happened if Saruman had actually taken the Shire? Ever think about that? Or what if Gandalf had decided to work the hobbits... halflings... whatever... into a real fighting force?

I think the basics are simple enough: They would be good farmers and have very little unrest. They're small and quick, so their units would have higher armor classes with less armor. Ranged units would obviously be a good choice. (MoM slingers anyone?)

The question is: Where do we go from there? What would the halfling tier 8 unit be? What would we use for their siege engine? How do we make halflings the kind of a race a sorcerer lord might look at and say “Oh yea, these guys can help me take over the universe!”?

So, weigh in and let us know what you're thinking. I think it would be cool to have them in just because of the nostalgia of it all. But to do that we have to build them up with some flavorful additions. At least, that's my opinion

Halflings are famous for their growing and cultivation of many plants. I could see this giving rise to an "Herbalist" unit, which could run around the battlefield healing and spreading status effects to allies and enemies alike. Plus, we could also see literal plant units, like treants (doubles as siege unit?), perhaps a more lively version of a shambling mount, like a monstrous rose running about on animated roots and lashing out with its thorny vines. Though it's pushing the envelope of this idea, I could see how halflings would also be able to tame and grow plant-related creatures, like giant ants, bees, and/or praying mantises. On the one hand, that may encroach to much on an insectoid faction, if it gets in. On the other hand, it really gives halflings their own flavor as master cultivators, and it gets some cool insects in if an insectoid faction isn't in the cards.

Mage’s Assistant
    Halflings are the last race I can imagine as warriors. Same about aggressive halfling empire.
    Sorry, signature is under construction.

I'm not a fan of halflings. They are the last race I'd make as a faction (I'd do gnome, who I'm also not a fan of, first).
    As a point of fact with respect to Hobbits in the Lord of the Rings book (not the movie) the armies of Sauron did in fact invade the Shire and the result was the Shire burned to the ground as one would except Hobbits would fare against Orcs.
    Hobbits as a fighting force are a strange concept to me and I have no concrete idea how to do that. They excel at being Rogues but beyond heroes/champions they haven't made much of an appearance thus far in WoM.
    Some ideas though.
    As good farmers a Halfling faction could produce 3 food per farmer instead of the 2 a population unit usually produces.
    Mounted halflings would ride ponies
    ranged halflings would use slings
    Overall I'd think there would be more characters per unit in Halfling units in order to balance them compared to other factions.
    I have no idea what a tier 8 Halfling unit would look like.
    Again I'd just as soon leave them out, if they do come in I'd do them last, but if there are those who do like halflings then they're going to have to speak up about units and such because this is about all I've got for them.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Note, while not a fan of a Halfling faction... I WOULD like to see them as Heroes and Champions even in the initial release...

Not to split hairs, but it was Hobbits Vs. Hobbits (and some bad men from some wheres) in the book and they burned their own Shire to the ground. (Which Sam later fixed up as best he could with the gift Galadrial had given him if memory serves.) Either way, my point was what if they had been driven on the forge an empire? I'm not saying it's a great concept. It's just that people are going to want Halflings in the game and we need to find a way to make them fit. Of course, they could be looked at as a "Diplomatic" race. Choose them if you are going to try to win with diplomacy, lol.

I like the idea of some herbalist based units if they make it in. Even using living plants is an interesting idea. If we're going to make them viable from a combat point of view they're going to need something. I'm not saying we should, I'm just saying if we do that it needs to be done right

Halfling heroes are in, at least in theory. We only have so much room, but one or two may sneak in even with the core release. (Did you see what I did there? The halfling heroes "sneak" in, lol. OK, so now you know why I'm a programmer and not a comedy writer....)

I love halflings, I play them all the time. But it's true that they aren't an "empire" kind of race. Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't change them to be one.

Iron Kaisers idea of halflings using treants and plants is great. You could give them som kind of surprise attack, maybe some limited "natural" invisibility.

@John Madlock: He begs to disagree

Halfings are fine, not a race I would choose. Though Iron Kaiser ideas make it a little more cool. I think with the races you have choosen already you really need a race that is not typical to High Fantasy. Don't get me wrong the race you have choosen so far are the ones that need to be in the game at the beginning I just think you need a atypical race at this point.

I stand corrected on who destroyed the shire. I guess my memory got confused between the movies and the books by the shire destruction scene in the movies. In any event in addition to heroes and champions another interesting way to get Halflings in without making them a full faction is to have independent halfling cities. This way your empire could still contain them (after taking over the city) and sure maybe they don't make the best combat units but if they're pumping out 3 food per population then they could be a valuable asset for feeding your (non-halfling) armies.

Arcane Candidate
    I say no-go for halflings. I played perhaps dozen games that contain halflings and without changing their usual known culture, they're just unnecessary. It's just boring to play halflings that were portrayed in Middle-Earth, Dragon Lance or Forgotten Lands. To give halflings some flavour, they must be changed, by adding different elements, if necessary.

In Age of Wonders, perhaps only strategy game I know of that contains them, Halflings were associated with nature-based creatures, like Satyrs and Lephracuns and are known as traders, apart from just farmers.

In Tales of May'Ejal, an indie RPG, halflings were changed into more organized race, that one would compare with Dwarves and are the founders of the empire on that continent.

I probably wouldn't play with halflings; yet, with good arrangements, they would be something else than a "necessity race".

maybe the halflings of Darksun would be a good alternative.
    They are barbaric cannibal who lives in the jungle.
    It is the only way I ever wanted to play an halfling...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast