Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Little People (The Halfling Race)

Quote Originally Posted by Gurthaur View Post
    In Age of Wonders, perhaps only strategy game I know of that contains them, Halflings were associated with nature-based creatures, like Satyrs and Lephracuns and are known as traders, apart from just farmers.
    The only one you know? What about Master of Magic? :P

PS: Darksun halflings were badass. Like a entire race of belkars!

To be fair, everything in Darksun was tough, lol.

To be fair too, halfling are not very attractive to me! SO, why not making them really nasty ! lol

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Well, you could make them Arabian/Egyptian halflings. That's a culture that hasn't been brought up yet, as far as I know, and the traditional desert tribe raid and counter raid style of fighting would fit well with a rogue oriented race...

After all, small people have less skin to sweat with and get sunburned on. They like their food and drink because it's so damn hard to get in the desert, and you have to be master farmers to get a crop in when you are having yet another damn dry spell, right?

Scorpion Knights, All powerful Djinn, Camel riding slinger raiders, stealthy ambushers in the shifting sands...

Sounds fun to me.

Apprentice
    You could turn halflings into more of a faction than a race similar to the goblin horde. Include Gnomes which could add a bit of steampunk flair to it, producing Arquebusers and Automatons as well as airships at higher levels.

Arcane Candidate
    See, I had the most fun with Halflings as a race in masters of magic... mostly because they were utterly broken. Natural force multipliers on a race with the largest units? So fun. Their slingers were hands down the best ranged unit in the game, and the exploring swordsman you got to start could take anything of equivalent level.

I could see them playing a similer, more balanced roll. Cheap units, like milita(armed with slings/quarterstaves) and high food production. The individual units would be weaker then normal, but they might make up for it in scale.

I think they will make it in eventually. They just haven't gotten a lot of love yet, lol.

Mage’s Assistant
    Here's what I came up with:

Halflings have always loved the company of each other and their nations formed easily. Big cities flourished, as did small communities. Arts, mostly sculpting and music were an integral part of their culture. No one in the world could rival the skill of halflings in those areas, for it was magical. Scupltures sculpted by the best halflings could be imbued by life and move to do their bidding, music could not only affect minds but physical things as well, plants could be enticed to grow by singing to them, walls could be torn down by great trumpets.

No halfling wants to fight a war, especially not in melee, so they devised a genius way to get around it.
    Many sculptures are produced with painstaking realism and armed with marble weapons. This is not enough to make them useful, for a master musician is needed to play a song of magic to make them dance to his tune, a most macabre one in wartime. The sight of hopping statues that cut down invaders is enough to make any army think again about attacking the halfling realm.
    Lowest tier unit - Constructs that are commanded by a minor bard/wizard, not particularly powerful, but at least better than halfling spearmen would be. No armor, but good natural AC.

Ranged combat on the other hand is different. Halflings take great pride in their senses, which includes their ears for music, but also their eyesight for hitting objects from a distance. Given their strive for excellence, halflings especially like to use slings if they have to do combat on the field, as it requires less strength from their bodies than a bow would. When the call for war comes, some amounts of volunteers do arrive for the army, almost completely as slingers, as any sort of melee troops would be quickly slain by the enemy.
    Low tier ranged unit - Simple halfling slingers.

An army cannot subsist with simple troops, so the halflings have once again put their skills in music to use. The best songsmiths have crafted living notes that can travel the battlefield by themselves and produce sound to confuse the enemy or lighten the hearts of their own soldiers.
    Mid tier support unit - Magical living music that can cast a multitude of mind affecting or beneficial spells, like bless, confusion, fear, cure light wounds and the like. Difficult to destroy without magical weapons(count as ethereal), but do not fight back in melee.

Sometimes the halflings find themselves sorely lacking in troops to put between themselves and the advancing enemy army. This is where the pied pipers come in. With their flutes they can control a vast amount of small vermin, from rats in the cities to innocent woodland creatures. They all come in great swarms to listen to the music and follow the commands of the piper.
    Mid-tier unit: Swarm-based unit. Does poor damage but has a good amount of hit points and basic swarm traits, so they're difficult to kill with normal units.

Music can be used for terrible effect offensively as well. Great trumpets of war blast sounds of discord at both enemy walls as well as concentrations of enemy troops. Some trumpets are small enough to be carried by halfling soldiers, others are so huge they need to be treated as siege weapons on wheels and drawn by ponies to the battlefield.
    High tier unit - Can use sound burst or shatter or other sonic based damage spells to cause damage to troops or crash down walls.

When the halfling nation is under greatest peril, being attacked by savage invaders, do the greatest of musicians write songs of such sadness that even the great oaks in the halfling lands uproot and take the cause of their caretakers, smiting any invading armies with terribly fury.
    Highest tier unit - Treant or similar plant creature(shambler, tendriculous, or such)

I really like the image of halfling singing and doing music Tiavals. It reminded me of Adam Douglas's Krikkits.

The Kikkits is a race of farmers that love hard work and sing all the time. Very much like halflings. Here is a krikket song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH5Htik5wBw&sns=em

Now try and imaging the halflings living in a valley all by themself. For hundreds and hundreds of years they farm, feast, sing and live their lifes in ignorance of the greater world and all it dangers. They sing happy songs about life, happy songs about work and happy song about love.
    Then one day travelers stumbles over the valley and the halflings meet the other intelligent races for the first time.
    Now this meeting could go terrible wrong and hundreds of halflings could die or the halflings may simply refuse the fact that the other races are really intelligent or something like that. For one or both of these reasons the halflings are terrible xenophobic and can only imagine one world. The world where only halflings are left. So they set out on a terrible genocidiel mission to erradicate all other intelligent races in the world, while they sing happy songs about life, happy songs about work and happy songs about total genocide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTyyYvJstH0&sns=em

So we have a jolly, happy and very nice halfling race, that in many ways are more alligned with the undead than any one else.

For some race specifict abilities I was thinking on giving their cities a faster growth rate and boost settler production, while being able to conscript citizens. Basical you push a button and one of your cities becomes smaller, but you gain a couple of low tier units.
    That would enable the halflings to spread like the plague, while sacrificing city levels for armies of weak troops. It makes them an excelent early rush race, but they get problems in the late game because their units are pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Well, you could make them Arabian/Egyptian halflings. That's a culture that hasn't been brought up yet, as far as I know, and the traditional desert tribe raid and counter raid style of fighting would fit well with a rogue oriented race...

After all, small people have less skin to sweat with and get sunburned on. They like their food and drink because it's so damn hard to get in the desert, and you have to be master farmers to get a crop in when you are having yet another damn dry spell, right?

Scorpion Knights, All powerful Djinn, Camel riding slinger raiders, stealthy ambushers in the shifting sands...

Sounds fun to me.
    Eberron Halflings had desert tribes that rided freaking dinosaurs, they were really cool.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast