Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Little People (The Halfling Race)

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    The "barbaric" race described in this thread are the Fetishes straight out of Diablo. Having said that, I think Fetishes could be another race, or certainly creeps - swarming masses of little dudes.

One unit suggestion that I can't believe no one else has brought up is the Sheriff type unit from AoW. A "taller" halfling who can actually ride a horse and is able to provide passive and/or active boosts to other halflings and at the same time is on par in melee with low-to-mid end cavalry.

I also don't think each race has to necessarily have 8 or 10 units and 8 or 10 buildings. That was part of the charm of MoM. When you chose your starting race you had to weigh all the factors - quick-start vs. staying-power vs. end game dominance.
    The suggestions about mercenaries fleshing out the higher tiers is a good one. Halflings could produce extra fame as a racial trait (to simulate the fact that they are so lovable).

Arcane Candidate
    I love halflings they are my favoriterace in MOM

Yes they are peaceful but so is a beehive until you disturb it

To say they are small and cant fight isthe very reason they win. Everyone underestimates them. (I disagreewith the idea that small = weak)

Yes they want peace but sometimes theonly way for them to have peace is to take over every other race andforce the peace.

There is a difference between notwanting to fight (peaceful) and unable to fight

Acolyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Landover View Post
    I love halflings they are my favoriterace in MOM

Yes they are peaceful but so is a beehive until you disturb it

To say they are small and cant fight isthe very reason they win. Everyone underestimates them. (I disagreewith the idea that small = weak)

Yes they want peace but sometimes theonly way for them to have peace is to take over every other race andforce the peace.

There is a difference between not wanting to fight (peaceful) and unable to fight

I agree wholeheartedly. I can see them outwardly accepting a conquering faction... but then...

things always seem to come up missing... or the garrisoned troops get real sick, always running to the head... or the cavalry can't mount up because the corral gets left open... or 100 gp are missing from the vault... and that mercenary unit leaves in the middle of the night and winds up at the halfling capital...

A racial weakness: maybe they suffer massive penalties when not on the prime or positive planes?

Upon thinking about it more I believe that traditional halflings could be one of the most powerful factions in the game... bear with me here.

Based off screenshots and such it looks like high men spearmen for example with be a 4 man unit arranged in a 2x2 formation.
    Halflings being small however lets say that they are arranged in a 3x3 formation giving them 9 total warriors in a single unit.
    With their smaller spears and strength penalty each halfling unit may do only 1d6-1 damage compared to the high men 1d8 but their higher numbers means the halfling units would do a total of 0-45 damage compared to the 4-32 of the high men.

Their health would also be more than double the spearmen as halflings do not get a Con penalty so each halfling would have similar health to each human but they outnumber them 9 to 4. So halfling spearmen might have like 72 total health (9 halflings with 8 health each) while high men spearmen might have like 32 total health (4 high men with 8 health each)

In fact with the armor class bonus for their small size, saving throw bonus, and numbers advantage a halfling spearmen unit would likely give high men swordsmen a run for their money as well.

Halfling ranged units could be slingers with their racial bonus to hit, once again their lower damage per halfling could be largely offset by their greater numbers of warriors per unit. Additionally they could be given unlimited regular ammo (using stones they pick up from the ground) and with an Alchemists guild perhaps even upgraded to use (limited ammo) Thunderstones

Similarly I assume medium sized races cavalry units will be maybe one or two characters per unit so Halfling pony riders could be 2x2 again compensating for their lower per character damage with higher numbers.

So with just:
    Halfling Spearmen (3x3)
    Halfling Slingers (3x3)
    Halfling Pony Riders (2x2)

You end up with a rather formidable group of base combat units.

For spell casters they could have:
    Bards
    Arcane Tricksters (with Tanglefoot Bags?)
    Priests

Halflings farmers would produce a base 3 food instead of the base 2 of other (food eating) races but because of their larger numbers in units and halfling appetites their units would also require greater food upkeep. So other (food eating) races might be encouraged to conquer halfling cities instead of destroying them in order to produce greater food to feed their armies.

Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    So with just:
    Halfling Spearmen (3x3)
    Halfling Slingers (3x3)

Halfling Pony Riders (2x2)
    IMO "Halflings Outriders" sounds much more fierce than Halfling Pony Riders

http://aquerra.wikispaces.com/file/v...ngoutrider.jpg

LOVE the hafling race - my favorite from MoM! Will be seriously disappointed if the *Spiritual Successor* to MoM does not have halflings as a playable faction!!! (I can still hear the lovely WHOOP sound that the slingers made from MOM!)

Arcane Candidate
    Yeah I've always loved the Halflings as well. It was always my pick in Age of Wonders, and I really hope there is a place for them in Worlds of Magic.

As long as they are "real" halflings, I mean tolkien \ warhammer style. I do not like the short elven version we sometimes find in D&D. The lack charm and just doesn't feel unique at all.

These guys will get in at some stage if not the core game, an early DLC, too many people like them. I like the little bleeders, they have a certain charm to them ;-)
    Last edited by zdsdead; 05-16-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Some questions for those who quote the LOTR hobbits as an example for the halflings to not be included. How did the shire come to be? Tolkien's world is filled with vicious creatures at every turn. The humans build castles to keep them at bay. They need armies to fend them off. Yet, this shire had existed for who knows how long with no military, no walls, and no verified leader. Why?

You may think they were merely lucky. I say they fought for their right to live there. No other place in middle earth was devoid of evil. So, why was the shire? Because the ancient hobbits drove them all out. Its the only logical answer.

The hobbits grew complacent as the generations continued, resulting in the hobbits of the LOTR series. Even so, their inherent stealth and charm carried them through. I think that the halfling people should be more envisioned as the ancestors of the hobbits. The ones who earned the shire. The ones who, through expertise in stealth, charm, and wit, conquered the plains of the shire. Allied themselves with those who would, and routed those who would not.

In my mind, there is no reason why the halflings should not be included in this game as a playable race.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    At one point Gandalf says something along the lines of "The Shire has remained untouched because it is rather unremarkable."
    Basically because there is no military importance to it.

Having said that, Halflings need to be in the game because they were in MoM. And there is no reason to limit them to swordsmen and slingers. There can be wilderness allies as well as cavalry formed out of the tallest halflings.

And not all factions need to be created equal (militarily at least).
    Last edited by ampoliros; 05-21-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast