Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Changing Of The Guard (Updating The Unit Lists)

Maybe the Dwarves even created the Golem faction. Kind of an "I Robot" like thing where they made Stone Golems, Improved on them for Iron Golems, then tried to improve on them again but the result became sentient. Not content with being a "slave race" to the Dwarves these new Golems rebelled forming their own faction (and further improving themselves) and so to prevent it from happening again the Dwarves restricted golem creation to the more primitive Stone Golems and all information on more advanced golem creation was purged and further research strictly forbidden.

If/When the Golem faction is added you can then use types of metal for different golem types. Copper Golems, Brass Golems, Bronze Golems, Steel Golems, maybe even Mithril and Adamantine Golems

I don't know Heralds for Undead sound wrong. I mean Heralds sounds like angels to me. To me a undead settler would be a Plaguebearer.

For the elves when I hear pioneers I think of 1840 and a covered wagon. Should they have a more magical fantasy name. Like Pathfinders, Greenhorns, Mavericks, Plantsteaders.
    Engineers could be Crystal weavers, Mana Weavers.

As far as dwarven golem are concerned I think I like "crafted" animated armor better. I need to give it a think. We may just vote on it and see which is the most popular, lol.

Rybon, I see your point. Still, I think Heralds for the undead could sound unholy. Maybe we need to convey that idea in there somehow. Unholy Heralds springs to mind.

With the elves we may need to give it more thought. We don't want 1840 imagery dragging us out of our fantasy world

I totaly agree with the animated armor. It is a very dwarvish way of crafting.

Ok then if the consensus is that a Golem is just an animated suit of armor (or statue) they already have that in D20. It's called Animated Object not Golem but you can call the ones the Dwarves make in WoM "Golems" if that's what you'd like. The power of these constructs depends on their size so their Challenge Rating ranges from 1/2 for Tiny (obviously you wouldn't want to use these as "golems") all the way up to 10 for Colossal (around 64 feet tall... taking up a 3x3 block of 10' squares!?!). Large Animated Armor/Statues would fill a 10' square and match the size of Stone and Iron Golems but would be CR 3 with 4d10 + 30 health. If you're looking for weak "golems" there you are.

For comparison a Stone Golem is Large with a CR of 11 an Iron Golem is also Large with a CR of 13 and a Greater Stone Golem is Huge with a CR of 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    As far as dwarven golem are concerned I think I like "crafted" animated armor better. I need to give it a think. We may just vote on it and see which is the most popular, lol.

Rybon, I see your point. Still, I think Heralds for the undead could sound unholy. Maybe we need to convey that idea in there somehow. Unholy Heralds springs to mind.

With the elves we may need to give it more thought. We don't want 1840 imagery dragging us out of our fantasy world
    That works, Doom Heralds or Dark Heralds would be good too.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

When I think about Golems I think about statues positioned about town, that get brought to life to protect the City.

There is nothing that says Stone Golems have to look rough. Stone Golems could be intricately carved and finely crafted, especially those made by dwarves, heck you could even throw some glowing runes on them to stick with the rune theme. I wouldn't want them to look like Earth Elementals but large finely crafted stone warrior statues.

In any event I really like the sound of Dark Heralds for undead. Maybe Elven Drove??? I like the sound of Pilgrims for High Men because the religious connotation fits well with Paladins. I prefer the term Priest for most of the factions over the class name Cleric also.

I'm not a fan of the term High Men though, maybe I'm just a huge perv but it sounds to me like hymen which isn't exactly something I'd name a faction after... though I guess it could underscore their puritanical beliefs, rofl. I'd strongly suggest you create your own backstory for the world. Your own gods, faiths, history, etc. Obviously you don't want to go into extreme detail but along those lines actually give the High Men faction a name. You know like The Great Kingdom of Fnord (only much, much, cooler sounding). Then when WoM takes off and is a huge success you'll have your own fantasy world you can have writers set novels in and have spin off RPGs etc. (please no First Person Shooters though!)

Asmodai, you clearly are a pervert, lol. <- JOKE

High Men goes back to Tolkien I think... It got in my head when I was very young and I've never gotten it out. Still, I'm open to naming suggestions.

Dark Heralds! I think that's the one

Drove... I'm afraid it reminds me of cattle...

Back to the Golem discussion: We can do either or both. I was looking at the animated armor from the Dread Guard point of view. (CR2 construct). We could use armor on the low end and glowing runes stone on the high end. What do you guys think?

Well High Men is what they were called in MoM too so I'm not saying it's unheard of but my friends and I made quite a few jokes about it back in the day. "Fool! My ork armies will break your High Men!" I am totally a perv though, and was worse at that age, rofl. Anyway another issue is if you do introduce Elven cultures later and split the Elven faction I would recommend having one called High Elf (High and Gray elves, always thought those two names were backwards in D20) and the other being Wood Elves (Wood and Wild Elves) or I've always been fond of the name Sylvan Elves instead of Wood. This would lead to there being both High Men and High Elves which seem too similar to me. Anyway, that's all I have on the naming topic.

I like High Men and High Elves. To me it relates the idea that their cultures are similar, which they are. Also, High Men and High Elves would probably get along better than High Men and Barbarians or High Elves and Wild Elves.

Broken High Men.... lol.... lol.... Ah, to be young again

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast