Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Front Runners

Assumption: Settlers from other races can only be built if a city has 2 or more population. When built the decrease the population of the city that built them by one (that population unit IS the settler). Settlers can create a new city (starting with 1 population) or join an existing city of the same race (increasing the population by 1).

Goblin Horde:
    Option 1: The Horde unit REPLACES the Settler. It can be built even when the population of the city is only 1. When the player chooses to build the unit they are prompted with a dialog that allows them to select the size of the Horde from 1 to City Size. So for example if the city is size 10 then the player can select from 1 to 10. If they choose the full size of the city a warning text appears letting them know that it will consume the city. The size of the horde also effects the production cost so a size 10 horde would take 10x the production to produce over a size 1 horde.
    Option 2: The Goblins have a "normal" settler unit but have an additional Horde unit that is always the full size of the city and thus consumes the city.

Either option allows the Goblins to effectively MOVE cities. The Disadvantages of doing so are:
    1.) If you have a population size 10 horde unit walking across the map it's just as vulnerable as a regular settler. Losing this unit could be a devastating loss.
    2.) Your structures are consumed. If you have a size 12 city with a bunch of structures in it and then you make a size 12 horde and march it to a new location when you build the new city while you have an instant size 12 city (don't have to wait to grow it) you have to rebuild all of the structures from scratch. Because of this your capital cannot move (The players Tower anchors the city.) Optionally there could be a build project that allows you to move your tower to another city (at huge cost) which consumes your original tower enabling the original city to then move and the new tower location to be anchored instead.
    3.) Because they are temporary structures Goblin buildings are more likely to be damage/destroyed when the city is attacked. Similarly if the suggestion is taken for walls to be built via engineers since they have no engineers Goblin cities have no walls. However in this case they could get city walls by founding a city in a tile with an abandoned fortress built by other races. If city walls are still a build project for the city then stone walls should not even be an option, however if the city has access to forest tiles then I could see wooden walls as a possibility. Of course city walls made by global magic spells such as "Wall of Stone" and such would still work. If a Goblin city with a stone wall is moved the stone wall remains leaving a "fort"... I would suggest abandoned forts (built by any race and not inside any city limits) have a small chance of generating a monster spawn... why leave such a wonderful home unoccupied.
    4.) Goblins structures have requirements based on population size. So more advanced buildings require higher city population. This means if the population goes down for any reason then they could lose more advanced buildings. This also means if the first option is taken for the horde and a city is "split" (entire population isn't taken) the origin city could still lose more advanced buildings because of the population loss in creating the horde. Also I would not allow goblins to build a grainery to store food as that's a more permanent structure which leads to a greater risk of a population decrease.
    5.) I assume that you can't build a city inside a rival factions borders. If this is the case then it would still apply to Goblins so I imagine in the late game most of the world will be in the hands of the various factions leaving little, if any, place open for the Goblin faction to relocate their cities too. This is really only an advantage in the early game when much of the world is still unclaimed but that also means more baddies roaming to kill your horde unit and if you keep having to rebuild your structures it's going to take forever to get the most advanced units.

This means the goblin faction will have to be aggressive. It's cities are weak so they can't play a defensive game and with limited buildings they will spend most of their time producing housing (growing faster), military units, or food. They also need to be aggressive to capture cities of other races who DO pay taxes so that they have some gold income to hire heroes, bribe other factions, etc.

It seems to me that being able to move cities has sufficient disadvantages but it's hard to tell by just making a list. Really you'll just have to implement it all and let me playtest it for a bit to see if more needs to be done Seriously though does it really seem to you that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages?

I like your thoughts on the subject. Now, should you be able to split the hoard once it's on the march? Say you had a population of 12 and made it into a hoard so you could move the city. Then you decided you would rather have two smaller cities. Should you be able to split it like any other army? If it's attacked should it be a single "horde" unit or a number of "settlers" equal to the population of the horde? Thoughts?

I hadn't thought of splitting a horde on the move. If the UI isn't too complex then why not? Besides splitting though a horde would be one unit. A size 12 horde would still look like one goblin settler unit in tactical combat. That's a big part of the disadvantage of moving them, the extreme vulnerability. Plus if there are stack size limits (hope not, but they seem common in these type games) then they will probably be smaller than the max horde size. For example I think the max city size in MoM is like 25 but the max stack size was like 8 or so.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    The size of the city might be represented easily by the level of the Horde.
    Also I think that if the City will grow too much it just won't be able to pack itself in a single unit.
    Also this kind of unit should be very vulnerable to the attrition.

Maybe if they Split on the move there is a chance of in fighting, and you lose population.
    Last edited by Rybon; 04-04-2013 at 11:09 PM.

The more I think about the horde being able to split after it is produced, the less I like it. I'm leaning against it now but if it is in then I think there should be a cost associated with the split, like maybe 1 population is lost. So a size 6 horde could split into a 2 and a 3 with one lost from infighting as Rybon suggested. Also, although the horde is one unit, the units health could depend on it's size. So a size 10 horde would still be one unit but it would have 10 times the hit points of a size 1 horde.

It's going to come down to play testing, like so much else

I'm divided right now. I can see both sides really...

Arcane Candidate
    The nice thing about the Orc race, was that they were the "can do everything" race. I find it useful to reacquaint myself with the game after periods of being gone with the Orcs.

I also thought it was novel that the Orcs (rather than Humans) were the "can do everything" race.

Yea, it was an interesting take on it. I can't think of another game where orcs were almost "low men".

Mage’s Assistant
    Here's a variant for a more civilized orc society:

The Neo-Orcish Empire was formed after orcs realized they could accomplish little in their normal primitive state. The new order focuses on extreme hierarchy, with the king on top. Ordinary citizens are limited in everything compared to other races, as the resources are funneled to serve the king and the military. Where other races use iron, orcs use bronze precisely because it is more difficult to use, to ensure that only the king has the ability to produce weapons and arm troops, meaning the conflict among the orcs themselves is limited as there are no weapons to rebel and war with, except if you are in the military. Where other races use paper in writing, orcs use clay tablets so writing cannot be hidden from the government and is harder to transport, preventing popular movements, but also resulting in worse spell research.

Kings use the wealth gained from extreme taxation for massive building projects, building huge palaces, great walls and grand temples. Small building projects are non-existent, so all buildings require vast amounts of production to make, but also have huge effects. This means that the capital of the orc empire is by far the most important, as other cities cannot spare the production to make buildings nearly as much. Also, all conquered cities get 10% of their production removed and transported to the capital, meaning the capital has a huge production rate compared to every other city.

Orcs use slavery and deportation of peoples to control the regions they conquer. When the orcs conquer a city of another race, they can choose to turn it into an orc city. This will change the city into an orcish one but only so long as the orcs hold it, if someone else conquers it, it reverts to the original race type. Each orc assimilated city gives a free "levy" unit without needing for it to be produced, as the former citizens are pressed into military slavery(only orc cities contribute to the capitals production rate). If the free unit is destroyed in combat, it will automatically reform in the city in 10 turns.

Orcish roads are better than other roads, giving armies a faster movement speed, as the orcs need the ability to move their troops quickly to both conquer new outer regions and to crush any rebellions.

Troops:

Orcish troops come in roughly three varieties. The slave troops, the noble troops and mythical creatures.

Slave troops compromise most of the armies, as they are cheap to produce and are needed to support the better troops. Slaves are often armed with light weapons and armor such as bows/slings, spears and bucklers.

The noble troops on the other hand are very expensive and powerful. Orcish chariots hold the best warriors of the nation, equipped with masterwork or magical weapons and armor(often scalemail and battleaxes), who charge into opponents weakened by archers and trample them with their horses and skill, or use magical ranged weapons and the mobility of the chariots to keep away from the enemy while peppering them with deadly arrows.
    Clerics are also an important part of the army, often using their magic to enhance the ability of the chariot troops or keep up the morale of the slaves. Clerics can also use chariots, leading to highly mobile clerics that can go cast their buffs where they are needed the most.
    Possible armaments of nobles and clerics:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d/PLATE3BX.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e/PLATE2AX.jpg

The mythical beasts are creatures such as Lamassus, who represent the kings power and have the face of the king. Lamassus can cast clerical spells(and are more or less as the D&D equivalent except not good aligned). Other creatures include(also in D&D), Lamia, Manticores, Sphinxes and Wemics. The special and unique powers the mythical beasts bring to the army provide the orcs with many abilities other races lack.
    Lamassu:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ll_profile.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast