View Poll Results: Which Orcish Culture Do You Prefer?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honorable Horde

4 25.00%
  • Barbarian Horde

6 37.50%
  • Noble Tribes

7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Orc Debate

Sorcerer
    Just registered so I could vote :-)

Don't know which games you guys all played before, but from my experience, a Barbarian Orc has indeed been portrayed many times, but not with distinct game mechanics like suggested above.

Re-locating cities??? Imagine this as your last measure of defense?! Only one city left -> you go running! Or you hoard all of your cities together or you start settling like crazy, building up your defenses and then when you've found a stretch of land that's REALLY easy to defend, or has extremely good resources in the vicinity, you move your cities there...

How can this NOT be decided easily? ;-)

Anyway, keep up the great work guys! And let's find a way to add the DRACONIANS (I loved those guys when the breathed fire as they attacked :-D

greets,

A tie.... OK *sigh*... I'll open the poll again.

Also guys, I thought this would be a simple little "Hey, let's have a vote!" without thinking about everything else that would be going on at the time. We plan to get the race vote setup soon, but it's taking longer to get together than I thought. I'm going to leave the poll open for a couple more days.

Hah, and you thought it would be simple, after all the debate.

i did vote for honorable horde.
    But after playing mom just today i did change my mind.
    I did forget that the Orcs in mom have been pretty poorly done imo.
    And since i dont think the mom barbarian race needs to be in this game as a distinct race,i really would prefer now that orcs fill this role

So,consider my vote for barbarian horde now,if we still have a tie in some days...

Arcane Candidate
    Missed the vote but I would say barbarian horde considering who is in the game already. I feel that there needs to be some kind of barbarian race and they fit the role well, but it doesn't have to be orcs if you can find other races to fill the role (like centaurs).

PaladinJB, sorry you missed it... We'll try to do the next one for a while longer. Keep in mind this is just for the first culture we present for the vote. Which is slowly getting closer... As I said before, in my imagination I had more time during the KS campaign, lol.

So, Noble Tribes brought home the bacon, but if I'm reading things right it get Asmodai's movable cities tacked onto it. So, guys, we've got a few more days. Write up a few pitches for the Noble Tribes idea. I plan to go through and write it up and let you guys look at it before the vote. I also have to try to do that for the draconians....

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    I like my orcs destructive, stupid and brutal. I prefer to have recognizable stereotypes as I feel they are more conducive to immersion rather than have them become noble savages. In the HoMM5 cut-scenes they were god-awful (mostly due to the appalling script-writing). Having them as a recognizable evil race I feel would give them more flavour rather than have them 'misunderstood'.

Dark Elves- Cunning, refined evil
    Undead- Mindless, unrelenting evil
    Orcs- Destructive, brutal evil

All different types of evil, but each still distinctive.

The idea was to not have any "good" or "evil" races, just because of the type game WoM is. I mean, the player takes on the role of a Sorcerer Lord and he can make High Men act like genocidal maniacs or Orcs be diplomatic pacifists. Of course, this isn't true with the Undead, but they are supposed to really stand out. Anyway, the thought was to pitch each of the non-Undead cultures from such an angle that it would make sense for them to be at war or peace with any of the other factions.

Still, I understand how the stereotypes fit right in your comfort zones. Without a rule there can be no exceptions and exceptions are often the most interesting bits.

Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    I like my orcs destructive, stupid and brutal. I prefer to have recognizable stereotypes as I feel they are more conducive to immersion rather than have them become noble savages. In the HoMM5 cut-scenes they were god-awful (mostly due to the appalling script-writing). Having them as a recognizable evil race I feel would give them more flavour rather than have them 'misunderstood'.

Dark Elves- Cunning, refined evil
    Undead- Mindless, unrelenting evil
    Orcs- Destructive, brutal evil

All different types of evil, but each still distinctive.
    I know it's been a week since someone replied to this thread, so I'll have to beg your forgiveness for resurrecting it. I have to say, I am really with War Troll on this. His breakdown of the darker races (if we want to avoid "evil" as a loaded term) is perfect. The orcs, IMHO, should brutality in the game. If they don't, what race will? Aaron's point about the players is well taken, but the point of flavor in games like this is to point new players in a direction that immerses them in the game and provides them a play style that works. If everyone is noble and egalitarian, where does the conflict really come from?

The orcs should be the most vicious and unforgiving of all the races. They should be so merciless that I think the orcs should never capture a city, they should always raze the city. This might be challenging for an orc player, but think about it from the other end. You're the player and the AI is the orcs. How scary would an orc army heading to one of your cities be? You can't recapture it later. You have to beat them. It's urgent. This would inspire genuine fear in the player, a real emotional reaction to in-game events! It's rare for a 4x strategy game to have such a visceral effect on the people playing it. I think it's something WoM could take advantage of. Of course, this would necessarily mean that the orc player would not lose fame for razing (if fame is even a thing in WoM).

I know there was a poll in this thread, but 17 votes is hardly enough (IMO) to settle where orcs should be for this game. I definitely want orcs in. I think they should be a base race. But I don't like how one vote out of 17 might change the way they are implemented. The best part of fantasy literature is that bad guys are bad and good guys are good. Leave all the neo-post modern moral ambiguity to science fiction and angst vampires. Let's celebrate what makes this genre our favorite!

I have some other ideas for orcs, but I think that's enough for one post.

Peace,

-Troy

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    What, you don't think the Aztecs and Mayans were 'vicious and unforgiving'? Utterly disagreed on the raze thing, too. That's not interesting, that's just unfun, and means you can't expand by any way besides settlers, which would suck.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast