View Poll Results: Which Orcish Culture Do You Prefer?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honorable Horde

4 25.00%
  • Barbarian Horde

6 37.50%
  • Noble Tribes

7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Great Orc Debate

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar

Disorderly conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    The infighting idea got me thinking. How could you represent that in game without it being annoying? .
    I think the idea I was thinking of would be that certain categories of orc unit would have a % chance of going rogue during a battle , maybe if left inactive or for each move they did not advance.This would use the devil makes work for idle hands theory :-).To offset that maybe a particular more senior unit such as the Urak Hai´/ Hobgoblin or Orc Champion would have an ability to remove that threat if in the same force due to the respect/fear in which they were held by the more junior hot headed Orc bands.

Just an idea but it would help to make units/races more unique
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

I'm really not sure we are going down the right path here. Like it or not Noble Tribes won and I don't think it's productive to second guess the decisions the developers have made. I really wanted the barbarian horde myself, I fought to get orcs included in the game when the devs were dismissing them so I guess I can at least take solace in the fact that they now at least have a good chance of being the 6th or 7th race even if they aren't the particular spin I was hoping for. I'd ask people to refrain for questioning the validity of the poll due to it's sample size or saying negative things about the outcome or individuals whose preference differs from your own. That said I'm all for throwing out new ideas for the developers to pick and choose from and I never want to discourage creativity so by all means continue to throw out new ideas. Even if the initial form that Orcs take is set there has been a proposal for alternate cultures within races and heck new and interesting mechanics may even get picked up by other races.

That said as for at infighting here are my thoughts:
    On the city level a faction with high infighting could have this represented by unrest in cities when some condition is not much. For example if the faction is supposed to be aggressive and expansionist then unrest could slowly build if you just sit there but be reduced as you take cities (raze or capture). So your tribe is cohesive when you're conquering but gets restless if you're just sitting around growing and building.
    On the battlefield if there is a morale system then a faction with high infighting might have a greater chance of units breaking and fleeing as the number of basic units increases. So one unit is pretty darn stable but 6 base units may have a high degree of instability. This would be offset by more advanced units being able to boost morale of the lower units so you'd have to make sure to mix a fair amount of "officers" in with the base units to keep a large army together.

I think it's kind of crazy to stick to a vote that was taken before the community doubled or trippled in size and in which the winner got there by a single vote. Do you honestly think yhis vote still represents the will of the community? Is it even possible to know what that will is now, after the Kickstarter has brought in so many new fans?

I think any polls taken before the kickstarter were probably done prematurely.

I'm not sure my personal opinion is relevant and as I already said the outcome wasn't my preferred outcome but the devs decided to make this particular decision in this manner and it is their decision to make. Arguing about a decision they've already made isn't going to get us anywhere. As to if it represents the backers or not, maybe not, but it's also true that doing a new poll now might not represent the backers either. I suspect most backers don't even come to the forums, of those that do there are many that don't bother to post and may not even participate in a poll. So even a poll done now wouldn't necessarily represent the views of a majority of backers, that's a really tough thing to figure out. What a poll new poll would likely do is give a vocal minority a greater voice but in the process redoing a poll that's already been done invalidates the opinions of those who voted in the first one (some of your oldest backers) and gives the impression that we'll just keep voting until we get the specific outcome we like... if that's the case why even have a poll.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnReeve View Post
    Really? You didn't write this:

http://forum.wastelands-interactive....1514#post51514

It seems like you're taking full credit for the Aztec idea in that post. Anyway, changing orcs from South American "indians" to North American Great Plains "indians" doesn't eliminate the cultural insensitivity. The very things you mention in that post I quote above have been used for generations to denigrate and belittle Native American culture. Any association with 'cannibal orc shaman from the bear lodge' is just flat out insensitive to the history of Native Americans and the injustice they suffered. Cannibals are fine. Shaman are fine. But cannibals + shaman + orcs = "indians!" is totally not fine. I'm trying to be opposite of prickly. I'm trying to make sure that anyone who would like to play this game isn't put off by hurtful cultural stereotyps.
    Nah, that was seperate from my Great Plains indian orcs suggestion, which I actually wrote about in more then one post and was under the impression that people were actually using when we voted on it, as you'll note if you go back and see me posting stuff about how the great plains indians would work..

Well unless you go vote for orcs in the Faction Primary then the outcome of this debate doesn't mean much. Right now it looks like the 6th race will be Dark Elves and the 7th will be Golems. Not sure if we can catch Dark Elves but I'm pretty sure we can pull ahead of Golems so go vote!

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Oh huh we have a new vote. How did I not notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    Well unless you go vote for orcs in the Faction Primary then the outcome of this debate doesn't mean much. Right now it looks like the 6th race will be Dark Elves and the 7th will be Golems. Not sure if we can catch Dark Elves but I'm pretty sure we can pull ahead of Golems so go vote!
    Yeah, I gotta say, I didn't see the golem thing coming. Maybe Eberon has more influence out there than I realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I'm really not sure we are going down the right path here. Like it or not Noble Tribes won and I don't think it's productive to second guess the decisions the developers have made. I really wanted the barbarian horde myself, I fought to get orcs included in the game when the devs were dismissing them so I guess I can at least take solace in the fact that they now at least have a good chance of being the 6th or 7th race even if they aren't the particular spin I was hoping for. I'd ask people to refrain for questioning the validity of the poll due to it's sample size or saying negative things about the outcome or individuals whose preference differs from your own. That said I'm all for throwing out new ideas for the developers to pick and choose from and I never want to discourage creativity so by all means continue to throw out new ideas. Even if the initial form that Orcs take is set there has been a proposal for alternate cultures within races and heck new and interesting mechanics may even get picked up by other races.

That said as for at infighting here are my thoughts:
    On the city level a faction with high infighting could have this represented by unrest in cities when some condition is not much. For example if the faction is supposed to be aggressive and expansionist then unrest could slowly build if you just sit there but be reduced as you take cities (raze or capture). So your tribe is cohesive when you're conquering but gets restless if you're just sitting around growing and building.
    On the battlefield if there is a morale system then a faction with high infighting might have a greater chance of units breaking and fleeing as the number of basic units increases. So one unit is pretty darn stable but 6 base units may have a high degree of instability. This would be offset by more advanced units being able to boost morale of the lower units so you'd have to make sure to mix a fair amount of "officers" in with the base units to keep a large army together.
    I agree almost completely with everything Asmodai wrote up here. I would only change the mechanics for infighting. Making unrest grow in cities that aren't bullding settlers or units.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast