View Poll Results: Which Orcish Culture Do You Prefer?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honorable Horde

4 25.00%
  • Barbarian Horde

6 37.50%
  • Noble Tribes

7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Great Orc Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Yeah, I gotta say, I didn't see the golem thing coming. Maybe Eberon has more influence out there than I realized.
    Yeah the fanbase is golem crazy. Here in the forums I got the sense that people liked the idea of Dwarves having a golem unit just like in MoM. There seems to be a large faction of the kickstarter commenters who want Gnomes to have golems and the entire faction based around golems is coming in second in the poll. I like golems and all but this seems to be getting a bit nuts... perhaps we should have them change the name of the game to Worlds of Golems.

Are golems really that popular? I had no idea.

RE: Alderon- that's a good mechanic for infighting too.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Eh, gnomes were always the tinkers, and if we don't want to give them gunpowder and such, clockwork constructs are a natural. And dwarves did have Golems in MoM, so that gets the traditionalist's support.

As for the voting for Golems as a faction, as the person who wrote up the Golem Guild list, I can't really claim to be unbiased there....

Golem as a faction are, for sure, my preference. I'm not against the gnome faction but golems are much of flavor than the gnomes, which are too close to the dwarves IMO.

Apprentice
    Hi guys,

I’ve read through this thread all the way. I have to say that the idea of making the orcs into great plains Native Americans or Aztecs is pretty offensive. I really can’t believe that didn’t cause more of a stir.

Let me break this down for you. The Euro-races of the humans, dwarves, and elves are portrayed as beautiful, intelligent, and master craftsmen. They are erudite, in touch with nature, and very cultured. However, the Native American faction is what? Green-skinned and brutal. Instead of the beautiful angular features of the elves, the Native Americans are given the porcine facial features of the orcs. Instead of the enlightened culture of the High Men, the Native Americans are portrayed as primitive and animalistic. Instead of the wealth and opulence of the dwarves, the Native Americans are described as half-naked cannibals. Does no one see a problem here?

Look. I’m going to come right out and say it: that’s racist. That’s right, it is. If you are European descent, look at what describes you: High Men, Sylvan Elves, Dwarves. If you are Native American descent, look at what describes you: f’in orcs! What you’re saying to someone who is Native American is, “Here’s what we think of your culture: ugly, brutal, cannibalistic, reviled by all, unsophisticated.” It’s deplorable that this was even considered from the beginning.

I’m not accusing any individual in this thread of being a racist. Who knows what really in your heart? But the imagery here is very racist. Someone said in the thread that, “I’m no expert in Indian culture but…” It’s clear that NO ONE in this thread is an expert. Why don’t you guys get to know someone from that culture before trying to exploit that culture in your game? The ideas here are plainly offensive, and I will not be downloading this game or buying any future DLC if this is treatment of Native American cultures makes it into the final version. I find it quite disgusting.

-Marcos
    Last edited by MarcosP.; 05-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    [QUOTE=MarcosP.;53105]Hi guys,

I’ve read through this thread all the way. I have to say that the idea of making the orcs into great plains Native Americans or Aztecs is pretty offensive. I really can’t believe that didn’t cause more of a stir.

Hi Marcos,

I respectfully suggest that you have misinterpreted the suggestion of some people. I don't think for one milisecond people were suggesting that Native Americans or Aztecs would be represented as Orcs. What was being suggested was that Orcs should have a Nomadic type backstory and culture which was similar to that of that adopted by some Native Americans.

As it happens I go much more for the traditional Tolkein view but I am sure no offence was intended. If it makes you feel more comfortable I am happy for the Nomadic tribe culture to be based on Celtic tribes of Ancient Britain as that is where I am from. I won't be offended at all by this.

Best wishes

Ian
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Wait, Dwarves are in touch with nature now? When did that happen? I thought they were busy strip mining stuff. I haven't heard anything about the humans being in touch with nature or master craftsmen either. You seem to be assigning values to the other factions that don't actually exist without actually knowing how WoM is planning on showing any native american influences on the orcs, and speaking for myself, I kinda find that racist in a strange reverse way.

This isn't even getting into the fact that back in Master of Magic, Orcs special thingy was that they were the master craftsmen, who were the only race that could access the entire tech tree. Please wait until we actually see what is being done, much less if the orcs will actually be in the game, before you start throwing accusations around.
    Last edited by Happerry; 05-04-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Apprentice
    That's the very type of response I was expecting. I noticed you didn't actually address any of the points I made about the orcs, but instead convoluted what I said about the other races and turned my accusation back on me in a non-sensical way. Typical fallacious internet arguments. If you didn't understand the reference to craftsmen as being a reference to the dwarves, the lovers of nature as reference to the elves, and the high inteligence to the high men, then I don't expect you to understand anything I say.

I think everything that can be said about this has been said. It's Wasteland's game. They'll make the final call.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I note you failed to define what you actually meant in your complaint, expecting us to read your mind to properly parse it, and then failed to actually reply to my counter points. Until you are willing to actually respond to countering view points, I think we're done here.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast