Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stereotypical Factions (long rant)

Sorry War Troll, I like Warcraft Orc and Trolls better. They make more sense to me then stupid mindless beast. I am going to have to say I humble disagree with you. I think this is a prefect reason why we need subcultures.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    I think everyone is looking at the problem the wrong way. The diffrences in races should not only be in the types of units but how they are managed as well. Take Orcs for example, they should rule through power and intimadation. If the Orc leader loses too many battles then another orc should try and overthow him. Orcs should get bonuses for recruiting based on victories and the number of sacked cities. Orc armies not used for a long time should dwindle because they are boared. I have more ideas but my spelling sucks and my spell checker is not working on this computer. Also, if anyof this has been covered before I sorry, I'm new here.
    USN Ret.

i agree with kid, to an extent. id really like to see some of the less cliche races make it in. lizardmen and klackons being the coolest from MoM that i can think of. if u look at orcs from there u see orcs were in many senses the tofu of the races. they werent dumb but not smart, they were just simple. that is how orcs should be, simple yet stubborn n driven.

A lot of these cultural ideas will be explorable as we add more and more cultures to the game. War Troll, I imagine "noble orcs" as something in between the vicious savage horde and the peace loving Quakers. I mean, take a look at Klingons. Noble? Yes. Honorable? Yes. Vicious? Absolutely! That is how I see our "noble orcs" taking shape. The suggestion was made to base them on the South American Indians. These were people with a very intricate social organization. They controlled huge unified empires and had very definite social codes. However, they were also brutal in war and massed into huge armies to slaughter one another. You can have nobility without weakness. I don't think anyone every castrated a Klingon in the whole of history.

You can't really get a stereotypical race. Just look at the orcs. what does a warhammer, d20, lord of the rings and MoM orc all have in common?

A strange nose! Only one of them is green. Three of them live in tribes and are prone to infighting.

Now we could say we should just work with the stereotype within the system, but even within the d20 system we either have very diverse ideas about how a race should look (Dinasaure riding halflings *caugh* *caugh*, rapist dwarfs and facist assasin gnomes spring to my mind)

As an example lets just look at elfs. How many elf types are there in basic d20. I have no idea! And they have very little to do with the godlike creatures tolkien wrote. If this game was based on tolkien elfs, then the final tier unit would just be an elven lord. An I-fear-no-number-of-ringwraiths-so-I-was-taken-out-of-the-movie kind of eleven lord.

If we restrict ourself the core entries, then the designers have nothing to work on or with. I mean have you seen how little it says about orcs? They are large, have red eyes, like colours humans don't, live in tribes and are a dishonourble bunch who like ambushes.

As I see it, people in the threads are trying to find out what kind of stereo types we should put together and what that would mean for the faction.

Should gnomes be about illusions, clockwork or an combination? Should their inventions be silly or more seriuce.

I haven't seen anything taken completly out of context. Even dinosaure riding halflings are taken from d20 and my own xenophobic halflings where more less build on the stereotype of halflings as farmers that dislike anything new. It is a large and ongoing project, but hopefully this will lead to rich, deep and consistent factions.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Warning rant inc:
    Because I hate inconsistency like dwarf berserkers!

Many games use the dwarf suicide berserker from warhammer. An extremly cool unit in warhammer, because he explains so much about dwarfs, their psychologi, cultur and the current state of the race. In age of wonders it is a great unit for killing swordsmen, but they make very little sense from a cultural point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederik Hugger View Post
    Warning rant inc:
    Because I hate inconsistency like dwarf berserkers!

Many games use the dwarf suicide berserker from warhammer. An extremly cool unit in warhammer, because he explains so much about dwarfs, their psychologi, cultur and the current state of the race. In age of wonders it is a great unit for killing swordsmen, but they make very little sense from a cultural point of view.
    I have to disagree. I think Dwarf culture is heavily influenced by Norse culture (not identical mind you, but there is a strong influence) and Berserkers are from the Norse culture. It also makes sense to because in my mind at least Dwarves have a rigid/ordered society and it makes sense that there would be small faction of the society that would "rebel" against it. Not "rebel" as in take up arms against their fellow dwarves but "rebel" as in do the opposite of what is deemed as social norms. So Dwarves all wear metal armor, fine we'll wear hide (important also because berserker means bear skin). Dwarves all use shields, fine we'll use two handed weapons or dual wield. Dwarves are kings of defense, fine we'll be offense. I like them specifically because they are inconsistent, that's exactly what they are trying to do, I do think it fits in from a cultural point of view and I don't think the idea originated with Warhammer (though they are probably the most well known example).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123