Thread: Custom Spell Creation

Arcane Candidate

Custom Spell Creation

Hi there,

I'm starting this topic to suggest the implementation of custom spells in WoM, which means you can create your own spells (ingame not with a spell creator) if you reach a certain amount of spell research or some other conditions.

So how should system work? Maybe some of you played two worlds 2 which also had a system where you could create your own spells which I really liked. I'm thinking of a similar system where you can just choose which base element the spell should use or even 2 or more elements then which effect it should have like positive, negative, AoE, single target, EoT (effect over time), and so on.

- elements (fire, water, death...)
    - target (single, multi, aoe, nova)
    - effect (direct, EoT, summon)

I just thought when we're playing an arch-mage or wizard we should have the possibility to create our own spells or atleast one
    So what you guys think about this idea?
    Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

It's a cool idea but I think it's really hard to pull it off in the game. You would have to balance each component really well. The roleplaying game Ars Magica has a sistem like that.

Arcane Candidate
    I don't think that it would be so hard to balance. I would think they already used some formulas to determine the mana / to effect (damage) ratio it should be possible to apply such kind of formula to a custom made spell.
    Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

It is an interesting idea to be sure. We'll have to consider it. The magic system is going to have to be a little further down the road before we start looking into things like this.

Either way, it is possible. We just have to see how it goes

Acolyte
    awhile ago I did a system to help dungeon masters to approve-not approve spells for my D&D multi DM campaign, if I find it out I will post it out.

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahn_Bloodbane View Post
    awhile ago I did a system to help dungeon masters to approve-not approve spells for my D&D multi DM campaign, if I find it out I will post it out.
    Hope you'll find. I would be interested to see it

That would be interesting.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I think, as a DLC add-on, that a Spell Forge Fortress upgrade would be a wonderful idea where the player could create their own spells from spell effects they already have researched. The combined effect would take say 20% more mana to cast than either spell separately (for balance). This way if you have a ton of excess mana or really need the extra speed of the spell effects in a very important battle you can choose to use these double-spells.

I also find this an interesting DLC concept.