Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summon Spells

Arcane Candidate

Summon Spells

Would have to say my favorite part of MOM was the summoning spells. The sheer amount of them plus the fact that summon spells were very powerful. It was very rewarding to finally get that sky drake summoned then send it out to destroy whole armies. Hoping Worlds of Magic has a ton of summon spells also.

I'm sure it'll have several since one of the magic circles is the "summoning" effect. Basic d20 has a lot of them, from the classics "Summon Monster" and "Summon Nature Ally" to others like Planar Ally and Summon swarm.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that even then D20 "Summon Monster" and "Summon Nature Ally" is going to be split into a bunch of summon specific monster spells. Like "Summon Earth Elemental" for example instead of having one spell that can summon a bunch of different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I may be wrong but I have a feeling that even then D20 "Summon Monster" and "Summon Nature Ally" is going to be split into a bunch of summon specific monster spells. Like "Summon Earth Elemental" for example instead of having one spell that can summon a bunch of different things.
    Yes I think you're right. Individual summon spells like MoM are more likely than general level spells.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Yep, you're right! A lot of individual summoning spells. A lot of em... in fact the more monsters we put in the game the more summoning spells there will be. Why? It's the laziest of all spells to create from a technical point of view. They ALL just summon a BLANK. Replace the BLANK and POOF you summoned a DIFFERENT BLANK. I just have to be careful not to overpower it by telling the team "Oh, just cram it all in there. Surly you can summon High Men Spearmen from some place!" LOL

Of course, we'll want different cool visual effects. That will slow us down a little...

Mage’s Assistant
    Going with d20, they would be Celestial or Fiendish High Men Spearmen.

I think summoning spells should have a chance to misfire. Instead of get what you want you unleash a monster, or get something completely unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rybon View Post
    I think summoning spells should have a chance to misfire. Instead of get what you want you unleash a monster, or get something completely unexpected.
    Why give only summon spells a change to misfire? You need to take balance into account. What it could be done is to create the "Wild magic" ability for Wizards to pick. So if you choose it you spells could be unpredictable (weaker, stronger, with added effects, etc).

George Bernard Shaw

I could see that, you take a chance at greater power, but your results may not be what is expected. You need to add 'Wild Magic' to the list of possible powers.

pleaaaase let me summon a Great Wyrm! (or its equivalent)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast