Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summon Spells

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by Rybon View Post
    I think summoning spells should have a chance to misfire. Instead of get what you want you unleash a monster, or get something completely unexpected.
    I was just watching a Let's Play of MoM and the guy pretty much just spammed Hell Hounds and steam-rolled his way through the nearest enemy in like twenty turns. A chance of misfire is interesting but also perhaps add availability- every new summon of a specific creature increases in mana cost due to their scarcity (they have to come from somewhere I guess!).

War Troll, I could see that maybe your will can only control so many creatures before you lose control of them. Maybe you keep summoning them but the more you summon the greater the chance they become wondering monsters.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Quote Originally Posted by Rybon View Post
    War Troll, I could see that maybe your will can only control so many creatures before you lose control of them. Maybe you keep summoning them but the more you summon the greater the chance they become wondering monsters.
    Yeah I like that. You could have it based on every 5 points of spell skill maybe? So Hellhounds are 5 points, Fire elementals are 10 etc. Go over that and they have a chance every turn to break free of your control, so it's a gamble. So 15 spell skill you can safely have three hellhounds or one hellhound and one Fire elemental but over is a risk. That way you can have many summons but it means your research and mana income suffer. Balance ftw!

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Will there be phantasmal summons/creeps? One of my love/hate relationships in MoM was the Phantom Warriors/Beasts. These would own on heroes, Torin included. But a stack of inexpensive swordsmen could take the phantasmal units down fairly easily.

I always liked the phantasmal units.

i really did like the summoning system in MoM and i really hope they don't change it that much. Having a new focus on it as a magic circle is enough, but adding the worry that they might turn on you? what a pain.
    Malleus the Magician + Fang the Draconian = OP

Acolyte
    Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    Yeah I like that. You could have it based on every 5 points of spell skill maybe? So Hellhounds are 5 points, Fire elementals are 10 etc. Go over that and they have a chance every turn to break free of your control, so it's a gamble. So 15 spell skill you can safely have three hellhounds or one hellhound and one Fire elemental but over is a risk. That way you can have many summons but it means your research and mana income suffer. Balance ftw!
    That is awesome! It would be scary fun to lose control in the middle of a tactical battle, or have an enemy mage/hero steal the summoned creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgariad87 View Post
    i really did like the summoning system in MoM and i really hope they don't change it that much. Having a new focus on it as a magic circle is enough, but adding the worry that they might turn on you? what a pain.
    I'm not a big fan of that as well. I could only see it working for a few monsters (such a needing a Protection against Evil spell to control a Demon or something like that). But not for every single monster.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

i agree,should be only for the real bad guys,like Demons and not for your "everyday" summons like Spiders,Bears or Skeletons.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Agreed that that system doesn't sound fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast