Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summon Spells

Apprentice
    I really liked that the elemental spells each had an elemental you could summon. I hope that's in again, and I'd even be happy with some silly spells like "Death Elemental" and "Life Elemental."

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosP. View Post
    I really liked that the elemental spells each had an elemental you could summon. I hope that's in again, and I'd even be happy with some silly spells like "Death Elemental" and "Life Elemental."
    I'm not sure Life and Death are really "elements". I think of it as a 3D coordinate system and they seemed to like that idea. So you have an X axis that might be fire and water, and a Y axis that might be Air and Earth, the origin is "nature". This plane defined by the X and Y axis is the elemental plane. But since it's 3D there is also a Z axis. The Z axis is life and death and separate from the elemental plane, it only intersects at the origin which is neither life nor death but again "nature". For summoning, Death summoning doesn't need an elemental, I'm sure there will be multiple spells to summon various types of undead (skeletons, zombies, ghasts, etc.). For Life I imagine on the low end there will be celestial animal summons and perhaps at the high end you'll be able to summon Angels and Archons.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    For Life I imagine on the low end there will be celestial animal summons
    When I read this the image of a White Hart from Arthurian Legend instantly came to mind. I think this particular summon would be mid-end, not low-end though.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    When I read this the image of a White Hart from Arthurian Legend instantly came to mind. I think this particular summon would be mid-end, not low-end though.
    Personally I think of the White Hart as a symbol of the "nature" sense of life then of the "holy" one but perhaps that's just me. In D20 though celestial is a template that can be applied to any animal and as you can see here even the weakest monster summoning spell (usable by 1st level clerics and wizards) summons a selection of celestial creatures including dogs, owls, badgers, and giant fire beetles.

Note that I'm not suggesting we limit ourselves by that list, just using it as an example of the fact that celestial animals can be used on the low end of the "life" summoning scale.
    Last edited by Asmodai; 05-05-2013 at 07:21 PM.

so make enough summons to go around... i like that idea.
    Malleus the Magician + Fang the Draconian = OP

I didn't like in MoM that spells like Earth Gate are in nature (but because of name and concept its appropriate), but absolutely don't agree with planar lock, planar travel and astral gate going to life instead of arcane (it's not just because i like sorcery more).

Since sumoming can be just teleportng of creature, and universal arcane circle dont seem to be in WoM, add "reverse summoning" to summoning circle. Thats teleportation circles/portals between cities, plane travel (you get creatures from other planes, right? more research and you can sent anything anywhere with right coordinate/beacon, not just banish summond creature). maybe even making copies of creature from extoplasma (in dresden files when demon is summoned, it creates psychical vessel, "kill" demon and it's not killed for real except with special really powerful holy sword for example, so can be summond again).

so:

teleportation, planar transport, planar lock, banish, excorsism (if enemy creature posses your creature to control it, incarnate creature of dark elves in age of wonders shadow magic for example, kill possesed and incarnate is undamaged and cant posses again, but can also leave possesed when it wont to posses other creature, wait a sec), summon spirits in enemy creature to take control of them, duplicating creature (almost like illusions but immune on true sight for being real while ectoplasm is powered with magic, so no true sight, not dispel, but getting it in no mana place?)

Not not so boring now I hope, even if list of creature from D&D that be summoned is ;-) liuke this celestial creature, or just standard like hellhounds and angels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123