Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnomes: Adding Steampunk Themes to Worlds of Magic

So I am stealing Happerys list and changing it a bit to how I see a gnome army >_< I wanted to see a mad scientist and I moved the flying unit and changed it a bit.

Clockwork units don't get xp and can only be healed by engineers.

Migrants:
    As above

Tinkers:
    As above

Hillguards:
    As above

Steamguard:
    Gnomes armed with steampowered repeatercrosbows. Able to fire a deadly hail of bolts at the enemy and when they get close they can mount bayonets and use the crosbows as spears. Only problem is that gnome sized spear and bolts deal very little damagde. If you enchant it it can become a really heavy hitter though.

Clockwork swordsman:
    Slow swordman unit with low initiativ and low to hit. They have higher armor, more hp and hit harder than other swordsmen.

Clockwork Gunner:
    The tier 2 shooting unit. Slow and heavly armored they use steampowered heavy crossbows to throw down some seriuce fire support.

Clockwork Gliders
    Gnomes flying with clockwork gliders! They have no armor as that would be to heavy and no meele weapon. Instead the fight with speed and handrepeater crossbows. The idea is to give the gnomes a very early, but very weak flying unit. Good for scouting and taking out small armies with no fliers or ranged units, but they die as soon as they see any real opposition.

Clockwork tiger
    As above

Illusionist
    As above

Trickster
    As above

Gnomish Spitfire
    As above

Clockwork Dragon
    As the clockwork dragon above. Just a tier under.

Brilliant Scientist
    Top tier unit. Can build rail road/lighting roads/what ever you will call them. Works like roads. Just better.
    In combat he have a large, but random arsenal of deathrays, freezerays, glue guns, bobbytraps and other crazy inventions.
    He is also able to repair clockwork units and even improve upon them after combat. I had a complicated system in my mind for this ability, but then realised it would be much easier if he just enabled clockwork units to get xp.

Following the whole steampunk theme I'll change the clockwork avian for some kind of small airship.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    Following the whole steampunk theme I'll change the clockwork avian for some kind of small airship.
    That's a good idea. That wouldn't be borrowing too much from Warcraft, would it?

I'm not much of a Warcraft fan (at least not after Warcraft 2) but I think that the idea of gnome tinkerers was way older than Blizzards game. Anyway, I don't think that can complain, they borrowed a lot from other games as well :P
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    I'm not much of a Warcraft fan (at least not after Warcraft 2) but I think that the idea of gnome tinkerers was way older than Blizzards game. Anyway, I don't think that can complain, they borrowed a lot from other games as well :P
    Fair point!

I've updated my OP with all the ideas I felt were the best in this thread. I'm reposting it here our of consideration for those who join the thread late:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gnomes

Race-unique Buildings:
    Steam Mill- industrializes food production, helping population growth.
    Clocktower- improves production by increasing worker efficiency.
    Workshop- allows production of clockwork units.
    Advanced Workshop- allows production of advanced clockwork units.
    Steel Wall- upgrades stone walls.
    Scrapyard- allows a sorcerer lord to recycle a clockwork unit to recover gold/boost production of a unit
    Alchemist Shop- use unknown at this point.

Units:
    Settler
    Blunderbuss Brigade (was Swordsman)
    Bard (was Spearman)
    Engineer (can heal clockwork units)
    Illusionist (was Magician)
    Clockwork Soldier
    Clockwork Beast (cavalry unit)
    Gnomish Spitfire (was Steam Cannon)
    Gnomish Airship (was Clockwork Avian)
    Steamship
    Steamrod (steam powered battering ram for attacking walls)
    Clockwork Dragon

Racial Bonuses:
    Fast population growth (with steam mill)
    Fast production (with clocktower)
    Clockwork units start out at a higher level than other races' equivilent units.
    Increased resistance to Poison and Disease attacks

Racial Drawbacks:
    Lower defense in fleshy units like bards and illusionists (was fewer hit points)
    Clockwork units have high gold upkeep.
    Clockwork units do not gain XP.
    Buildings have high gold upkeep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love steampunk, so all the ideas in this thread suit me! I especially like the suggesstions about airships.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    The Forum still did a pretty consistent vote against gunpowder awhile back, in the dwarf thread, so don't get your hopes up. I'm still of the opinion that while gearpunk fits the setting, steampunk doesn't myself..

I think Happerry's list is the best so far. As cool as a blunderbuss would be i just don't think it fits in this setting.
    Malleus the Magician + Fang the Draconian = OP

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    The Forum still did a pretty consistent vote against gunpowder awhile back, in the dwarf thread, so don't get your hopes up. I'm still of the opinion that while gearpunk fits the setting, steampunk doesn't myself..
    You know, Happerry, I'm new to the forums, but I did go back and read all your posts. I don't think you've liked a single idea that wasn't yours to begin with. It's hard to take your criticisms seriousl (even when they're right) when they are so consistently negative and you toss around words like stupid and childish in your posts (not this particular one, but plenty of others).

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Yep, but you could have steampunk without gunpowder. And we were few back then, a new poll could go the other way, who knows!

George Bernard Shaw

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast