Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnomes: Adding Steampunk Themes to Worlds of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    Yep, but you could have steampunk without gunpowder. And we were few back then, a new poll could go the other way, who knows!
    And it's being used in a limited way by a wacky race with a wacky weapon. I am totally on board with gun powder not having much if any role in WoM, but the blunderbuss is very flavorful and uses gunpowder in only the loosest sense hehe

For the record, while I do love steampunk, I'm not big on gunpowder weapons. If a very limited and flavorful example of a gunpowder unit can be used by the designers, I'm cool with that. But a single blunderbuss-style unit (or maybe goblin sappers) would be about it. I like the idea of high fantasy that touches on the steampunk themes, but I don't want to go full-on Victorian style here.

Instead of a blunderbuss they could use some kind of tesla coil type weapon or even something that just shoots potions or magic.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

It looks like each faction will only have 8 units, so I wouldn't know what to cut. Strange, because I thought wiki listed 11-12 for each race.

Everything on the wiki is not set in stone, not the units nor spells, etc. Aaron already said that making each faction takes a lot of resources so maybe they thought it was better to start with fewer units. It's a pity but the don't have so much money to work with.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Better something than nothing!

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnReeve View Post
    You know, Happerry, I'm new to the forums, but I did go back and read all your posts. I don't think you've liked a single idea that wasn't yours to begin with. It's hard to take your criticisms seriousl (even when they're right) when they are so consistently negative and you toss around words like stupid and childish in your posts (not this particular one, but plenty of others).
    Plenty of others? Really? I only recall using them once in this forum, and I'm pretty sure that was quoting from someone else. And as for things I've liked.. I've liked the draconian suggestions, I've found some of the discipline ideas interesting, I liked the arguments about the dark elves we had, I liked what the biomancy argument ended up as, I like the undead, I like the new magic system...

But lately it does feel like people are going "ooh shiny feature! Lets shove it in even if it doesn't have anything to do with MOM!" So yes, a decent chunk of my latest posts have been negative because I want this to be a MoM game, not 'stupid generic Fantasy Civ rip off number X' game, but if you don't like my view, talk me out of it, don't go 'I'ma ignoring you because you don't agree at me.' (And I might be over sensitive on that, but I'm more used to the argument atmosphere over on spacebattles where that gets done way to often..)

Really, if I found the idea of Gnomes utterly distasteful, would I have bothered to write up a whole army list for them? I just don't like gunpower in my magic. (Also, Frederic_Hugger, while it's nice to see someone else who likes this enough to make an army list, I do suggest if you want them to be taken seriously you make less typos.)

I also would prefer steampunk without gunpowder. I actually like the steampunk INFLUENCE but I don't want it to be full on hard core steampunk. I'd like the art style to include brass, gears, pipes, and such and maybe have a steam tank, steam flying unit, gnomish engineers with goggles and big brass wrenches but I wouldn't want to take it too far. I mean if we only have 8 units I don't want 7 clockwork units and only one with actual gnomes. I'd also still like to retain the old gnome illusionists and bards if possible and work to integrate it all into a coherent culture. I like a lot of the ideas that have been thrown out so it would be interesting to try to cull it down to 8 units. I suspect the 8 units though is not counting engineers, settlers, ships, or siege equipment though I could be wrong there.

Let's assume, for the moment, that the 8 unit limit does include settlers, engineers, etc. What about an 8 unit lineup that is something like this:

Units:
    Settler
    Bard (was Spearman)
    Engineer (can heal clockwork units)
    Illusionist (was Magician)
    Clockwork Soldier
    Gnomish Spitfire (was Steam Cannon)
    Gnomish Airship (was Clockwork Avian)
    Clockwork Dragon

If the 8 unit does not include settlers and engineers, we can always go back and add in two of the missing units. What do your think?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    The Stretch Goals mention 9th and 10th units for the factions. I think future DLC will provide at least to the 10th unit per faction. If WoM becomes hugely popular, I think there will be years of DLC and perhaps up to 12 units per faction.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast