Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Gnomes: Adding Steampunk Themes to Worlds of Magic

  1. #51
    Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,770
    Asmodai, remember paragraphs, don't just do one giant block of words.

    And honestly, if we're limited to 8ish units including the settler and engineer, their won't be much room for clockworks at all. Looking at the official unit lists though, the elves have 9 units not counting the settler and engineer, the dwarves 10, also not counting settlers and engineers, the high men also have 10, and the undead.. Also have ten.

    So I'm pretty sure that the Settlers and Engineers don't count.

    So, to work off Asmodai's list and add the extra two units we probably have..

    Settler
    Engineer (steampunk looking with goggles and brass wrench)
    Warrior (wielding gnome hooked hammer)
    Crossbowman (ranged unit, make the crossbows look steampunky though)
    Priest (healing unit)
    Illusionist (mage unit)
    Steam Tank (quirky steampunk style)
    Airship (magic/steam powered balloon) (Was this or the steam tank supposed to be the top tier unit?)
    +
    Clockwork Giant (A giant clockwork statue with a giant hammer. Melee siege unit)
    Clockwork Harvester (Human sized clockwork construct with blades for arms, functions as a tier II melee unit)

    I left off the clockwork beast because, in all honesty, I don't see the gnomes as a fast moving faction, and they already have both a steam tank, which can presumably move at cavalry speeds, and an airship that flies and might be able to carry other units.

    As for why I chose the units I chose... The Steam Tank probably has a cannon in it, but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be the top tier unit or not, and if it was, the gnomes needed a second siege unit they could get before the end of the game. And smaller guys making up for lack of melee power with robots is very traditional for the Clockwork Harvesters, as well as giving the Gnomes some meat shields for the crossbow troops and illusionists.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    Well 8 really is a small number and I think it's important to get the actual gnomes into the gnome faction and not have their armies almost entirely made out of constructs. I think the construct idea is what people want with the golem faction. If I had a few more slots though I'd first add some sort of cavalry only I'd do a steampunk variation with some sort of walker with an exposed gnome riding on it, maybe something like this:

    Maybe make the walker itself more steampunk like and possibly less humanoid but the idea is a gnome riding some sort of steampunk contraption.
    Given 10 slots (or not counting settlers and engineers) I'd add the clockwork soldiers. Keep in mind that even 10 is still smaller then the list Aaron put out for High Men and Undead so I'm not sure why suddenly we're being limited to such a small number. It's when you start getting beyond these core units that you can really start to add flavor units but I think you need to cover the core first.
    Yeah, but see the clockwork part was one of their most intriguing cultural features. The gnomes are just little guys, not blessed with great strength or speed. They need the machines to be their muscle! The clockwork units (if they start out at a higher level but don't gain XP) are unique from other races' units. That broadens the game's play experience. Without lots of mechanical units, the gnomes don't seem all that special and the whole steampunk theme just fades into a thin venire that doesn't impact much of the game.

  3. #53
    On the bright side, the iOSBG interview stated that they might go above the 8 unit limit for flavor/story reasons. So, at least ther's hope

  4. #54
    Moderator Asmodai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA (USA)
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Asmodai, remember paragraphs, don't just do one giant block of words.
    Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    And honestly, if we're limited to 8ish units including the settler and engineer, their won't be much room for clockworks at all. Looking at the official unit lists though, the elves have 9 units not counting the settler and engineer, the dwarves 10, also not counting settlers and engineers, the high men also have 10, and the undead.. Also have ten.

    So I'm pretty sure that the Settlers and Engineers don't count.
    I agree, and those unit lists also lack ships so I thought we had a lot more room then people are saying now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Clockwork Giant (A giant clockwork statue with a giant hammer. Melee siege unit)
    Clockwork Harvester (Human sized clockwork construct with blades for arms, functions as a tier II melee unit)
    I agree that a clockwork tier II melee unit would be a good idea. They really need a tier II melee unit as the Gnomish warrior is intended just to be the base unit before you have the required buildings built for more advanced stuff.
    The Steam tank (or call it clockwork tank if you like) was supposed to be the siege unit with a cannon that takes down walls.
    That's why I went with a "mounted" gnome on a clockwork stead but I wanted it more contraption then just a clockwork horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    I left off the clockwork beast because, in all honesty, I don't see the gnomes as a fast moving faction, and they already have both a steam tank, which can presumably move at cavalry speeds, and an airship that flies and might be able to carry other units.
    I envisioned the steam tank as being relatively slow, like WWII tanks not modern ones and being quirky so it would occasionally "break down" and basically lose a turn to compensate for it's extreme firepower and armor... plus if animated right I just think it would be cute, rofl.

    The airship is intended to be their ship which again the existing unit lists don't have so it does transport them by air but both it and the steam tank are higher tier units so since gnomes move at only 20 which is slower then everyone else in the game I think it's important for them to have their mounted unit. Just my thoughts though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    As for why I chose the units I chose... The Steam Tank probably has a cannon in it, but I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be the top tier unit or not, and if it was, the gnomes needed a second siege unit they could get before the end of the game. And smaller guys making up for lack of melee power with robots is very traditional for the Clockwork Harvesters, as well as giving the Gnomes some meat shields for the crossbow troops and illusionists.
    The steam tank does have a cannon, it was supposed to be a siege engine. I didn't really have a top tier unit honestly as I figured the Airship and Steam Tank gave them superior enough assets in those categories (siege and ships) they didn't need a super conventional combat unit... and I ran out of slots, rofl.

    ---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

    Here's another walker idea for the mount, only not so humanoid:

    Maybe something like this for the tier II melee:

  5. #55
    Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,770
    Well, you have to remember that even World War II tanks were about as fast as Cavalry was, as long as they had fuel and roads. More advanced tanks wouldn't be as fast as cavalry, they'd be faster.

    I'm not going to touch the Boat issue until the nice game makers actually give us some hints on what they are planning there, but even without supreme power a flying ship could probably be a top tier unit, specially if it has a cannon mounted on it. Steam or Rune.

    Anyway, if people don't like the Clockwork giant, howabout...

    Clockwork Spider : This giant robotic spider serves as the gnomes cavalry unit by combining high speed with crushing fangs and a heavy blades mounted on it's front legs. Against enemy air units, it mounts a large heavy repeating crossbow on it's back to fill them with bolts.

  6. #56
    Clockwork spider?

    Clockwork Spider.jpg

  7. #57
    Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,770
    That's missing the back mounted crossbow stand and gunner though.

  8. #58
    Sorcerer AquaRegia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    52
    May I just say again - I'm lovin' me some steampunk gnomes, no matter which particular ideas make it in. I'm sad they are so far down in the latest vote. DLC, baby!

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    That's missing the back mounted crossbow stand and gunner though.
    I don't think clockwork units need drivers. That's something that could separate them from the steam units. Steam Power = needs a gnome to control it. Clockwork = autonomous.

  10. #60
    Moderator Asmodai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA (USA)
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnReeve View Post
    I don't think clockwork units need drivers. That's something that could separate them from the steam units. Steam Power = needs a gnome to control it. Clockwork = autonomous.
    That's kind of my issue. If there is no gnome and it's autonomous then it's really like a golem or animated object with steampunk art style. My personal preference is to have gnomes operating steampunk styled contraptions so they are different from the rune golems (and animated "cavalry" unit?) of the dwarves or the units autonomous units in the golem faction that is apparently coming. I'm not saying there can't be ANY put I'd prefer it kept to a minimum. If what people want is an army list full of autonomous steampunk units I would suggest the steam punk theme be pitched for the golem faction instead of gnomes (not my preference.). I don't buy the argument that gnomes are so weak and pathetic they have to use autonomous units to fight for them. I'd rather them find ways to make it so they can fight just fine.

    ---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

    I guess what I'm saying is I want steampunk themed gnomes... not a steampunk faction created by gnomes.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
footer