Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Gnomes: Adding Steampunk Themes to Worlds of Magic

Steampunk games/books/art have plenty of automotons in them. Is there a specific steampunk source you are drawing inspiration from, Asmodai?

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Steampunk games/books/art have plenty of automotons in them. Is there a specific steampunk source you are drawing inspiration from, Asmodai?
    Did I say steampunk doesn't have automatons? If I did I apologize as it is not what I meant. Let me try to be more clear. If we are making a steampunk faction then by all means fill it with automatons. I thought we were making a gnome faction. As such it is my preference, and you are free to disagree, that we have gnome units with actual gnomes in them using steampunk influenced clothing, equipment, and possibly even piloted walkers and tanks. So again, gnomes with steampunk influence as opposed to steampunk made by gnomes. Hopefully that clears up what I meant.

Ah, ok. I just misunderstood you. My appologies

I see where you are coming from, and I respectfully hold a different point of view. And that's okay! I envision that the gnomes would get the machines to do their melee fighting for them while they hang back and sling spells. I guess there's always going to be 2 different views on what the faction cultures should be like. Thankfully, I don't think we have to make a final decision just yet

Peace,

-Troy

Apprentice
    I like the idea of automoton minions taking the hits while gnome arcane casters lob bombs on the enemy from a distance, but all the ideas in this thread are great. It would be hard to narrow it down, IME. I think that the gnomish faction is a little under appreciated right now. I'd rather have this idea in the game rather than the golems, for the record anyway.

Here's a picture from an old MMORPG that featured clockwork units. This is what I envision with the gnomes' clockwork units:

innovate.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosP. View Post
    I think that the gnomish faction is a little under appreciated right now. I'd rather have this idea in the game rather than the golems, for the record anyway.
    I would too, I like golems but I like them as power units for existing factions such as rune based stone/metal golems, maybe even the base for the stats for powerful clockwork gnomish automotons, or guardians of ancient ruins not so much a faction unto themselves. I also like the idea of anyone being able to find tomes to create golems (single use) as treasure in ruins and such. That said we are apparently not in the majority. My list would be:

Orcs (traditional tribal -not stupid- warlike... maybe even Klingon-like)
    Dark Elves (Drow, Demon/Spider themed with female priestesses and male wizards featuring lots of summoning and poison)
    High Elves (assuming the Elves that come in the game are turned from generic to Wood/Sylvan Elves - focus on arcane magic)
    Gnomes (steampunk inspired - as discussed here)
    Insect (not sure about specific implementation but I like the idea of a Klackon inspired Insect race)
    Halflings (hobbit-like with large numbers maybe 3x3 figures in a unit so 9 instead of 4 to balance things)
    Golems (these are way down AS A FACTION but I want them in the core game in the roles described above)

I'd actually also put some of the other factions discussed here that didn't make the vote between insect and halflings as well. (Note neither High Elves or Insect are currently in the vote either)
    I assume the Twilight Vampire option was just a joke. If only the twilight part was a joke and a vampire faction is a real option then it might be fairly high in the list (maybe between the two elf types) depending on how it was implemented. (living races as "food" for vampire overloards for example)

another good clockwork spider:

342091yegd_w.jpg

RE: Asmodai- I like your list, but I'd put gnomes ahead of high elves. Not that I don't love high elves, I do, but we already have two elvish factions in the game. I'd like to see them explore design space in other areas before returning to the elf motif.

So it seems we've got the gnomes boiled down to two ideas:

A) Mad Scientists and Spell Slingers with automonous clockwork units that are very strong, immune to fear, and don't level. The oddball/pushing the envelope unit: blunderbuss infantry.

vs.

B) Madscientists and Spell Slingers riding in what are essentially clockwork/steampowered mecha suits that are not immune to fear but do level. The oddball/pushing the envelope unit: a tank.

Areas of agreement on both: the clocktower is pretty cool, there needs to be a workshop of some kind, and steampunk (whatever form it takes) is definately the way to go with gnomes.

I think those would be two very good cultures to vote on if the gnomes ever make it into the game. Nice work all

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Actually, the trend has been for gearpunk, not steampunk.

I would vote for the mad scientist/Magician approach. I think the gnomes need to drive their equipment, not just sling spells. There equipment should have the chance to break down during combat. This would allow for powerful units because there is always the chance of the equipment failing at the wrong moment.

Stole a couple of ideas from Troy.

Settler
    Swordsman Brigade (These guys have swords of pure energy, think Jedi.)
    Wandmen(Think of them as a Blunderbuss unit but with magic wands. I don’t like gunpowder in a Fantasy game.
    Mechanic (can heal Mech a units, serves as a engineer)
    Illusionist
    Mechagnome, (Think of a wood and metal mini mechwarrior
    Spider Gnomebot (cavalry unit, several pictures in this thread.)
    Gnomish Arcanite Beamer (Magic is focused into a battery cell to be unleashed in a devastating beam. )
    Gnomish Airship
    Steamship
    Gnome a stomper( A bigger version of the Mechagnome, but with piston arms to batter walls.
    Rolling Death,(Think of a steam tank with multiple turrets.)
    Last edited by Rybon; 05-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast