Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And where are the Nomads?

Culture DLC. The nomads are clearly a human culture. I feel certain they'll make it in WoM in time. They probably just aren't going to make it into the starting lineup.

(Sylvan?) Elves have high mobility, rangers, and I could certainly see mounted archers with them as well so I'm not sure what distinct "flavor" the nomads would bring. I didn't typically play them though in MoM so perhaps someone who did could explain their appeal and what they offered that isn't already being offered by another current or proposed faction in WoM.

Sorcerer
    Aaron: Thanks, that's good to know; Nomads as a DLC is still better than no nomads at all.

Asmodai: Sylvan elves are a quite different culture. Even if they are highly mobile, they are still elves; bound to the woods, with mystical ties to nature, etc. Nomads on the other hand are humans and at home just about everywhere, but still favoring the wide, open areas above anything else. Despite being "nomads", they are still humans and as such much closer to the concept of cities and civilization in the classic sense than elves - even though they too have a degree of affinity to nature. They are also into trade, science (lively exchange of ideas, related to trade) and even some mysticism. Perhaps you might think of them as an intriguing mix of half-elves and the idealized Arabians from the old tales, back from the times when the Islamic world still was a true Culture in the best sense of the word and when they also were champions of science and keepers of knowledge... all the while still also preserving their tribal/nomadic roots. Also add a bit of Hunnic/Mongolian legacy to the mix (horse archers) and of course my personal favorites, the Griffon Riders, and there you have the Nomads: a proud and majestic people on the verge between a wandering, tribal people and a settled civilization, uniting the best of both worlds.

At least that's how I view and think of them.

On a more pragmatic level, what I also liked about them in terms of technicalities was that they had that sort of universality that I'm always looking for in strategy games: factions and units that, when applied correctly, are good against just about anything. When I played with Nomads in MoM (as I did most of the time), once I was able to train Griffin Riders, I pretty much didn't need anything else. Augmented with the right the spells, both Arcanus and Myrror were mine to take with them.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    In my view the nomads are to the deserts what the Sylvan Elves are to the woods. Camel riding raiders, stealthy bandits, master traders, the lords of the burning sands.

If you don't mind, I even wrote up yet another army list. ^^ (Really people, go make your own. It's pretty fun and the more ideas we have to draw from the better.)

Caravan : The mobile caravans are the heart of the desert people's tribes, moving from oasis to oasis as the water supplies surge and dry up.

Settlers! Yay! Nothing new here..

Glassblower : With a terminal lack of wood to be found in the desert, here artisans have turned to the sand as building materials, weaving flame and sand into elaborate and beautiful structures of glass.

Engineer unit. Immune to any normal penalties for building things in deserts.

Sentry : The desert is a harsh and cruel land, which tends to destroy those that let their guards down. The Sentry guards the city he hails from with bravery, keen sight, and a sharp pointy stick verses all who would invade it, whither the enemies are mortal or the products of the landscape. Like sandstorms.

The basic militia type unit. Light armor and a short spear. Maybe has Vision I? Uses the Warrior NPC class.

Noble Warrior : Metal is an expensive substance to acquire in the desert, much less the services of a smith to shape it into armor and weapons, and only the nobles of a tribe may afford to outfit themselves in it. While not as rich as the greater clans, Noble Warriors are well motivated and trained for a lifetime of combat.

The swordsman unit, with a sword, light armor, and a metal shield. Class is fighter.

Javelineer : In the harsh lands of the desert, a well crafted bow is an expensive object. Many of the poorer folk of the tribes instead satisfy themselves with Javelins, far cheaper weapons that can still kill a man dead. As well, they tend to be far more useful when an enemy makes it to melee.

Warriors with light armor and a brace of Javelins. Basic ranged unit.

Camel Rider : Horses do not do well in the desert, dealing poorly with the lack of water and intense heat. Instead, Camels are used as riding beasts in this hot land, and you find not noble knights, but cunning mounted raiders from the Bedouin Tribes. Armed with sword and bow, these fierce and swift raiders strike like the wind and are gone again just as soon.

Camel mounted fighters with light armor, swords, and compound shortbows. Light cavalry units.

Manticore : Horrible monsters with the body of a lion, the wings of a bat, the head of a man with the teeth of a shark, and a long spiked tail, the Manticores are the terrifying apex predators of the desert realms, able to decimate whole tribes. However, they are smart enough to be bribed with much food and drink, and when appropriately placated will sometimes fight for the tribes of men.

Powerful large flying monster and pesudo heavy cavalry, the Manticore is a single large monster able to fight in both melee combat with its claws and jaws, and to fire barbed spikes at enemies while they are still at range.

Ifrit : Spirits of fire that stalk the deep deserts, the Magicans of the Nomad tribes have long known how to summon them and bind them to magical lamps, forcing them to serve the magicians.. at least, until the lamps break. They possess powerful magic and are skilled warriors, so desprite or brave tribes will sometimes command their sorcerers to bind them for war.

More commonly known to players of DnD as the efreeti, the Ifrit is the Apex unit of the nomad tribes. They are powerful fighters, possessing flaming swords, and can cast spells as a wizard does. And of course they can fly.

Chanter : The priests of the desert tribes are famous for their magical chants to ward off evil. While not as powerful as some of their learned brethern from other lands, only a fool spurns the power of the priesthood in a land as full as evil spirits and powerful monsters as the deserts the Nomads hail from.

Adepts with divine magic and staffs. Low tier but proficient priest unit.

Summoner : Nomad sorcerers, unlike magic users from other lands, are often less famous for their own power, and more legendary for their skills and binding and commanding the numerous spirits of the deserts. While weaker in direct combat then other races wizards, only a fool would allow them time to call up an army.

Sorcerers who specialize in summoning magic. Mid rank arcane caster. Instead of the normal fireball spell activated ability thingy can summon some weak monster. Like giant scorpions.

Hashashin : The Hashashin orders are feared throughout the deserts as ruthless killers for hire. In a land of monsters and myths, the Hashashins have staked out a reputation of fear as merely mortal men with mortal weapons. But even the great Jinn can fall prey to the knives in the dark..

Rogues, taking levels in the Assassin Prestige Class. Poisoned daggers and either throwing darts or slings combined with light armor. Can also climb enemy walls.

---

As well, like the Nomads of MoM, the Nomads of WoM should have bonus to trade. The lack of siege units is not an error, but a deliberate choice. Nomads are not good at siege. They also do not have city walls themselves. Instead they have buildings that serve to bind spirits to defend their cities, akin the the automatic milita suggestions, protective workings that strike those who attack their cities with sandstorms, (IE, attack spells that trigger for free when cities are attacked) and concealing mirages that make their cities invisible on the overmap. They also probably have an Assassin's Guild and Nomad Bazaar unique building.

Unit wise they have a sharp divide between their mortal units, lightly armored and armed, with only two units making it into mid tier (The Camel Riders and Summoners), and the powerful flying high tier monsters and spirits they can summon. All their mortal units use light armor, at the most, and are swift moving, but they lack any heavy armored brick to take damage until they get to their apex unit. As well, both their top tier units are single figure units, being large powerful monsters. Of course, they are large powerful monsters, so that's not all bad.

And if the Orcs don't end up using that 'can stick more then one population point into a settler to move entire cities worth of people around', or maybe even if they do, the Nomads should really be able to use that sort of large population settler.

(So is that different enough from the woodsy elves?)
    Last edited by Happerry; 05-16-2013 at 11:47 AM.

@Nephryte Sorry I wasn't more clear, I understand what nomads are thematically. What I was trying to ask was specifically what new and interesting game mechanics you see them as bringing to the table that aren't already in some other culture being suggested. Most of what they offered in MoM (mobility, rangers, etc) seems to already have been covered by existing factions and I think the idea is to try to avoid having additional factions be just thematic reskins of what are already in. The idea isn't to just bring the 14 races from MoM in over time, it's to keep adding new and substantially different cultures. I'm not even asking necessarily what they did different in MoM specifically. While that's a perfectly good example if it doesn't already fit well with an existing faction I'm also interested in any new ideas you might have for how they might work that would differentiate them further from what we already have.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    (So is that different enough from the woodsy elves?)
    That's exactly the type of thing I was trying to solicit from him, rofl. I know you can do that stuff all day Happerry, I was trying to get some new blood involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    That's exactly the type of thing I was trying to solicit from him, rofl. I know you can do that stuff all day Happerry, I was trying to get some new blood involved.
    Fair enough. More people trying that would be good. ^^

I like the idea of nomads, but not in the core game at the expense of something else, should be for a dlc later on IMHO.

Sorcerer
    Thanks Happerry. That's quite close what I've had in mind, too, with the only difference that I did not see them as a specifically desert-people, but that's also a nice angle with many possibilities. I especially like the Glassblower concept. But would not want to have Griffins left out either.

Also thanks to you, Asmodai.

zdsdead: DLC later is fine with me as well. I'm not insisting at all for them to be in the core game; that would be quite impossible, I guess. I'd just like to have them as well at some point in the future.

Griffins were, last I heard, under consideration as the mounts for high men paladins. So you might be getting some Griffin Riders sooner then you expect.. (And I find Manticores more interesting and underused. We don't have enough real desert nations around in these kind of games..)

Oy I want those Manticores for the beastmen! Ill set asmodai onto you (he suggested them)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast