Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And where are the Nomads?

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    As well, like the Nomads of MoM, the Nomads of WoM should have bonus to trade.
    This is an interesting idea. What about you get a small gold bonus for each peace treaty/non-aggression pact you have with other wizards? And a big gold bonus for having an alliance/mutual defense pact? That would make for a different style of play.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Trade came from connecting cities with roads in MoM, not your treaties..

Trade came from connecting cities with roads in MoM, not your treaties..
    Yes, I know. But perhaps we could expand that idea for WoM. Having treaties with other wizards has got to be good for trade, right?

Sorcerer
    Griffins were, last I heard, under consideration as the mounts for high men paladins. So you might be getting some Griffin Riders sooner then you expect.. (And I find Manticores more interesting and underused. We don't have enough real desert nations around in these kind of games..)
    For Paladins...? Strange concept... trying to imagine a fully armor-clad knight on a griffin (which, at least according to my imagination is rather quick and agile than strong)... very strange.
    If we desperately want some exotic mount for Paladins, then I would rather recommend pegasi or unicorns for them. Would suit them much, much better.
    Keep Griffins Nomadic!

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    This is an interesting idea. What about you get a small gold bonus for each peace treaty/non-aggression pact you have with other wizards? And a big gold bonus for having an alliance/mutual defense pact? That would make for a different style of play.
    Good idea, agree. However, don't really see why this should be Nomad-specific. Traders in all factions should be able to benefit from such relations. If we would want to give Nomads an edge in this area, then they could simply be better at it than others and get more bonuses from these, but still, others should be able to benefit from such treaties and pacts to a degree as well, I think.

Quite a few games use griffons for armoured knights/ paladins, the griffons tend to be big and chunky, in these systems

Quote Originally Posted by zdsdead View Post
    Quite a few games use griffons for armoured knights/ paladins, the griffons tend to be big and chunky, in these systems
    Like this?

yep and like this griffon.jpg

Sorcerer
    On the second image, the rider seems like a mere afterthought; doesn't look like the griffin would need him at all. :P

Whereas on the first one, the warrior has an indeed very nomadic look... I like that one.
    Since the "armor" is quite rag-tag, just strapped on with strips of leather; also, the headpiece too is reminiscent of desert tribes' headwear, and the background itself is a desert as well.

So, as I said, just Keep Griffins Nomadic.
    Last edited by Nephryte; 05-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephryte View Post
    For Paladins...? Strange concept... trying to imagine a fully armor-clad knight on a griffin (which, at least according to my imagination is rather quick and agile than strong)... very strange.
    If we desperately want some exotic mount for Paladins, then I would rather recommend pegasi or unicorns for them. Would suit them much, much better.
    Keep Griffins Nomadic! .
    The picture was in regard to what you wrote here, many systems use fully armoured troops, paladin, knights, as griffin riders, not such a strange concept :-)

Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by zdsdead View Post
    The picture was in regard to what you wrote here, many systems use fully armoured troops, paladin, knights, as griffin riders, not such a strange concept :-)
    Well, imagination is free, of course.

I only find it strange because both "components" of a griffin (some kind of cat and some kind of bird of prey) are typically of the quick and agile rather than the big and bulky type. True, of course, an eagle, a lion or a tiger can be strong as well, but still, when you think of them, you see them as quickly swooping down (eagle) on or swiftly running to catch (lion, tiger) the prey.

Maybe - yes, surely, I know - it's just me, but I find it hard to reconcile this dominant attribute of general agility with fully armored knights, who are certainly not speedy types and are thus quite unlikely to be able to make any effective use of a griffin's abilities. (Especially since the heavy armor would only slow the griffin down.)

That's why I'm saying Keep Griffins Nomadic; nomads perfectly match the concept of swift and agile warriors with light armor at most, which does not inhibit speed and dexterity - and are thus also a perfect match for griffins as well.

As also mentioned before, I'd still say that if we are looking for some sufficiently imposing mounts for paladins, then pegasi or unicorns would be a much better choice. Though speed can also be associated with horse-type creatures, those can also be big and bulky - just imagine a general warhorse, which of course needs to be strong enough to be able to bear the weight of a fully armor-clad warrior -as well, and can stand for strength and endurance just as well. A much better match for paladins already.
    Last edited by Nephryte; 05-17-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast