Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roaming Monsters

Hybrid View

Roaming Monsters

Heya,

Didn't see a thread on this yet. I know there will be some in the game, and I am hopeful we reach the 40k stretch goal. So, let's compile a list of monsters we wwould like to see for Aaron and co.

Here are mine:

Owlbears
    Bandits
    Zombies
    Ghosts
    Wyverns
    Great Wyrms
    Giant Spider
    Dire Wolves
    Giant Oozes
    Fire Drakes
    Doom Bats
    Wild Boars
    Djinns
    Efreets
    Elementals
    Giant Scorpions

Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Heya,

Didn't see a thread on this yet. I know there will be some in the game, and I am hopeful we reach the 40k stretch goal. So, let's compile a list of monsters we wwould like to see for Aaron and co.

Here are mine:

Owlbears
    Bandits
    Zombies
    Ghosts
    Wyverns
    Great Wyrms
    Giant Spider
    Dire Wolves
    Giant Oozes
    Fire Drakes
    Doom Bats
    Wild Boars
    Djinns
    Efreets
    Elementals
    Giant Scorpions
    Hi Troy,

I like your list very much but IMO Drakes and Great Wyrms are too powerful to be roaming monsters unless you link these creatures to the current level of your mage. Could fit well if they appear near the end of the game.

My list :-

Owlbears
    Cockertrice
    Manticore
    Wyvern
    flightless terror bird
    cyclops
    etin
    goblinoid/snotling swarm
    Chimera
    Last edited by zdsdead; 04-29-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Sorcerer
    Just some ideas for roaming monsters:

Deserters - If there has been a battle, the nearest city has a lot of chances to fight them
    Phantom calvary - An improved phantom warrior
    Dark Wisp - Magic inmunity.
    Ice Giant - Ice bolt inmunity. Fire bolt sensitive.
    Dreadful grim - Death inmunity. All units killed by DG become zombies three turns after.
    Locusts-men - Never enter a city. Food-shortage while outside the city.
    Savage Marauders - Never enter a city. Gold-shortage while outside the city.

Band Of Imps
    Centaurs
    Shambling Hulk
    Werewolf

Some poor soul brought up Nomads in another board. No one replied, of course. But to create another connection to Master of Magic, how would people feel about Nomads being a "wandering monster" in WoM?

Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Some poor soul brought up Nomads in another board. No one replied, of course. But to create another connection to Master of Magic, how would people feel about Nomads being a "wandering monster" in WoM?
    That "poor soul" certainly wouldn't like it, though he would still be inclined to agree - even if grudgingly, but still - that the "nomad" as such, fits the "wandering" concept quite well.

Hmm... Wandering griffin riders... which might, under the right circumstances, either offer their services on their own or be persuaded to join either a player or an independent empire... There certainly are possibilities in this as well. So even though I'd like to see Nomads as a playable faction, but I could support this option as well.

Maybe, a reference to the primal MoM could be a good thing, with unit that will not be in the factions.

We may have
    Stag Beetle
    Javeliners
    Dragon turtle
    Wivern riders
    Doom drakes
    War mammoth

I don't know about D20 rules about those, but that would be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Trudd View Post
    Maybe, a reference to the primal MoM could be a good thing, with unit that will not be in the factions.

We may have
    Stag Beetle
    Javeliners
    Dragon turtle
    Wivern riders
    Doom drakes
    War mammoth

I don't know about D20 rules about those, but that would be fun!
    I agree on this.Roaming monsters could be the perfect "ground" to give tribute and revive some of the old school Master of Magic Monsters.I think this would be epic.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Hope we get to 40,000 as 20 more monsters will really vary the game world and make it more alive. It's kinda tricky to know what units are penciled in for future factions so I guess the devs already know what roamers are in I guess I'd want something like-

Undead:

Wights- Heavily armed and armoured warriors risen from tombs permeated with negative magic to do battle once more. Their second existence, however, knows only one enemy- the living!

Vampires- Reviled by their former people these parasitic individuals feed on the blood and fear of others outside of the watchful and unforgiving eyes of 'civilization'. Though primarily opportunists, Vampires are not unknown to attack small settlements and possess a high skill at arms.

Ghouls- Famine and pestilence are feared by all as war and winter take their toll. Those that feast on the corpses of their neighbors to survive bring a terrible curse onto themselves eventually. Ghouls attack with clubs of bone or sharp talons.

Mundane creatures:

Rogue Knights- Noble heritage and fancy titles mean little if you don't have the coin to back them up. Eskewing honour for banditry these heavy horsemen are often found in the company of brigands and sellswords and provide an invaluable arm of heavy cavalry.

Mountain Lions- Large predatory cats that attack with razor-sharp tooth and claw.

Fantastic beasts:

Minotaurs- The Legendary Minotaurs are savage creatures that hunt and devour flesh of any kind (including that of their own kin). Armed with large axes or clubs these brutes are often found banding together with other like-minded creatures, constantly on the look-out for poory defended settlements andthe food within...

Roc- Giant birds famed for their deadly dive attack, sinking claws into opponents or lifting them off the ground before dropping them in a bone-breaking maneuver.

Titanoboa- Giant snakes from the extensive southern marshlands, these creatures travel down rivers when food is scarce, often bringing them into contact with humanoids. Their crushing attack spells death for those not blessed with allies to save them.

Plane-specific:

Leviathan: The King of the water-plane oceans, these gigantic creatures do not allow the wooden craft of humanoids to traverse their realm.

That's all I can think of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast