Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit Abilities and Units twisted by Planes.

Unit Abilities and Units twisted by Planes.

If it is not difficult (i hope it is not) can you add more flavor and uniqueness to normal units born on Outer or Elemental planes? So swordsman who born on this plane will still be swordsman but regularly or randomly will get some special abilities depending on plane type.
    Ideally this might work different way for good and evil races (who might resist or embrace powers of plane).
    Lower planes might give demonic abilities and resistance to them, same for upper planes - anti-undead and anti-demonic powers, healing, resistance.
    I'm not sure about Negative energy plane, since surviving there should definitely give some benefits, but I can not imagine anything but some resistance to death magic and fear (since I do not expect living to get undead traits).

This boost is better be random, so each touched unit be unique. Also this would encourage colonization of planes and also I strongly hope that:
    - heroes born from units might retain this abilities (small but nice benefit)
    - necromancers will hunt for such units to create better undead servants.

Thanks and again hope that would not be difficult to implement (no game breaking so far).
    Last edited by Aleksey; 04-30-2013 at 04:39 PM.

I like it but it presents a big problem for the game balance if some factions are allowed to start in those kind of planes. But if they were like the other planes in Elemental:WoA then it could work. And it would be another benefit of sacrificing a lot to conquer one of those planes.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    I like it but it presents a big problem for the game balance if some factions are allowed to start in those kind of planes.
    Sure, but Myrran was also costly in MoM days. So ability to start on other plane should not come free of charge. Or in case if race can start only on specific plane (not sure if it was intended, but let's imagine the Undead can only start on Negative Energy) then this specific race will not have this type of benefit.
    I mean these are humans and elves twisted by the planes, not planar creatures and undead (the latter might be plane touched BEFORE they died, and retain their abilities in undeath that's what I hope)

I think you'll see shades of what you're looking for in the native creatures but I don't think the races will alter that much. You'd essentially be creating tons of new races and it could be problematic.
    For native creatures though I suspect you'll see like wolves on the prime material plane, and celestial wolves on the life plane, and fiendish wolves on the death plane, etc.
    In D20 "celestial" and "fiendish" are what they call templates and they can be added to many base creature types so while I used wolf in that example it could be true for most of the creatures on those planes.
    I doubt it will be the case though that you send a settler through a gate to the life plane and build a city and all of a sudden all the units produced in that city acquire the "celestial" template... that's way too powerful in my opinion and really just being there shouldn't change you that drastically. The planes will have general buffs and debuffs though so you can sort of consider that as how the plane is twisting your units.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    ...and all of a sudden all the units produced in that city acquire the "celestial" template
    Then it could be not all of them but just some (you can always play with random chance).
    However I understand what are you talking about. I still think that living on some other plane for prime creature would result in some change. Alternatively you can see this as increased chance of getting unit with fiendish blood (but well on Negative energy plane people just can not interbreed with locals).

Well anyways I made my post assuming that units might have traits (fire breath 2 say hello to "Chaos channels") or that there is possibility to randomly add stats (+2 resistance) to base template.
    This might not be the case.

I'm sorry for being persistent, but well in MoM you could built a unit with adamantium weapons and armor, then add demon skin or wings with chaos channels and then even turn it into undead. Was it game breaking? Nope, even though MoM was never about balance. It was not even efficient, cause this abomination could deal with several normal units, but against dragon would be almost the same as ordinary swordsman. But it was fun for sure.

I'm almost positive adamantium weapons and armor are in. As well as Mithril and possibly cold iron, darkwood, alchemical silver, and maybe even more. These are resource based and there may even be plane specific resources that alter your units. Turning units undead is also in I believe, including different spells for different kinds of undead. I don't know about Chaos Channel specifically but with they've talked about mutations for wings and such so spells that do that are likely in as well. The balance there comes from the fact that these spells I believe will effect only 1 unit per cast and on top of that will add mana upkeep to the to maintain the effect. If every unit a city produces has such mana upkeep then it will likely deplete your mana very quickly and if it is random people may get very frustrated that they keep getting it on units they don't want and none that they do.
    You don't need to apologize for being persistent though. If you feel passionate about something by all means defend it, I know I do when my ideas are shot down by the community. Plus I'm just saying it's not my thing, many others and indeed the devs may love the idea. My views seem to be out of sync with the masses just as much (if not more) than they are in sync.

I'm almost positive adamantium weapons and armor are in. As well as Mithril and possibly cold iron, darkwood, alchemical silver, and maybe even more.
    That would be really cool. I hope you're right!

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I find it an interesting idea, but it honestly doesn't sound like a fun idea to me. Better to save the templates for spells or some races (Like the Righteous Ghosts), and have planes take effect in a more environmentally way. Like, say, every battle in the Positive Plane has True Light enchantment cast on it for free because, well, it's the Positive Plane.

In my opinion at least.

Maybe the changes could be small. So instead of applying a template you only give units build on the plane of Fire a DR 5/Fire or something like that. It's not gamebreaking nor it takes anything to implement. Even better, you could give them vulnerabilities as well as benefits. So it could be something like this:

Water: Resistance to Cold 5
    Fire: Resistance to Fire 5
    Earth: +1 Natural Armor (unlike d&d natural armor it would stack with common armor).
    Air: +10 ft movement
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast