Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tweak on randomness from MoM Summon Hero

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    @SuperKali - That is a very interesting concept - a Hero Beacon. I do like it. It's like a Tavern, but mana is the currency instead of gold. Maybe the Hero Beacon is a building that's powered by mana (instead of gold upkeep). Heck, maybe the Hero Bacon is even a summoned building so it doesn't chew up time in the build queue.

Some factions could have a Hero Beacon (or whatever it might be called for that race) and some might have a Tavern type building that does need gold to summon heroes.

This hero summoning building would obviously need to be restricted to the Fortress/Capital City.

Then we might still have an actual Summon Champion spell (for each circle maybe too) which specifically calls a magical type of being (kind of like summoning a demon with a pentagram).

I would be happy with that, but the methods of obtaining heroes would be up to consensus, primarily among the developers, of course. I was thinking more of the mechanics of how the heroes respond, to avoid the need to fish by multiple reloads to get someone you really want. For example, you want to obtain a fighter. You do whatever is required to get the ability to beacon them and you get a list of potential employees (attributes available by clicking on each), e.g.

The Dwarf sign-on cost 50gp upkeep 2 gp available in about 7 turns gp will wait for 5 turns (as in Moo2 and may come back later with a promo or two; he’s desperate!)

The Orc cost 100 upkeep 2 gp available in about 10 turns will wait for 5 turns

The Draconian has politely declined (he is interested, but you need to do more before he even offers his services)

The Assassin has ignored your beacon (meaning you need to do a lot more to hook him)

The Rogue has ignored your beacon (meaning you need to do a lot more to hook him).

Etc.

You would be able to adjust the sign-on fee from time to time, according to need. This would balance against your fame and how much they like your kind of magic, to speed up or slow down recruitment. So, if you increased the gold offered to 2* (you just got lucky in a dungeon, you’re prepared to rack up your taxes or you’re gambling you can get the money in time), you would get this effect:

The Dwarf sign-on cost 100gp upkeep 2 gp available in about 3 turns will wait for 10 turns

The Orc cost 200 upkeep 2 gp available in about 5 turns will wait for 10 turns

The Draconian cost 400 upkeep 4 gp available in about 10 turns will wait for 10 turns

The Assassin has ignored your beacon (he really doesn’t think you’re a worthy boss)

The Rogue has politely declined (he is interested, but you need to do more before he offers his services).

All this time, you would be paying heavily in gp or mana, as appropriate, to maintain your beacon, so it would be feasible even in early game, but challenging...
    Last edited by SuperKali; 05-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.

BTW, before thinking of reloading, you should know which hero could be available.
    The percentage is equal for all heros?, Is there a level (of fame?) in the hero list?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudd View Post
    Is there a level (of fame?) in the hero list?
    MoM placed a level of fame required depending on the quality of the Hero. I would expect WoM to follow suit.

And yes, I am in the camp of "Hey, all heroes are buff so I don't really care what hero I get, I'm gonna go stomping with him just the same." And the lower quality heros I wasn't so sad if they died because I'd end up dismissing them when I was full up.

Also in MoM because there weren't so many heroes, each player could get their own copy of each hero.
    Last edited by ampoliros; 05-04-2013 at 10:38 PM.

i really dont like this hero beacon thing. The way MoM did it, randomness and all, was and is the best way to do this. depending on how many heroes there are, i can see wanting to choose which hero you want to summon. Might save time, but the feeling of getting Malleus after 20 reloads was nice to me (not that i miss the wasted time doing so), so my vote is for one of those 2
    Malleus the Magician + Fang the Draconian = OP

Arcane Candidate
    For the ruins and loot issue, it might be neat to implements some time of "rumors" function. You could go to the tavern and buy a traveler a round or two and get hints as to what items are hidden where.

Could be a similar thing to the heroes... Buy the right information and you get a list of maybe 5 heroes that could be up for summoning at that time...

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    That rumor thing sounds fun.

It is a good alternative to have a preview of which hero(es) can come.
    Rumors have my favor. The tavern must be a building. The more tavern you earn, the more precise is the list (from five heroes with one tavern to two heroes with ten tavern for example)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12