Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: The Fey: A Conglomerate Faction for WoM

  1. #11
    Mage of the Lesser Tower Rybon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Hum, Minotaurs... They have +2 level adjustment, so they'd be stronger then most units of the same slot, but that can be countered with a combination of costing more and, being large creatures, having less people in a unit. Well, here it goes!

    Minotaur Brawler : The basic milita unit. Four or three Minotaur warriors with clubs and no armor.

    Minotaur Tracker : Ranged unit. Minotaur warriors with heavy crossbows. Two or three of them.

    War Bull : Tier two melee unit. Armored Minotaur fighters with sword and shield. Two or Three of them.

    Labyrinth Lord : Tier three melee unit. Armored Minotaur barbarians with a greataxe. Comes in groups of two.

    Minotaur Slayer : Minotaur barbarians with both a battleaxe and throwing axes. Tier two ranged unit. Two or three of them.

    Gorgon : The kind that looks like a bull. Ultimate unit and big monster. Only one per unit.

    Herd-Shaman : Arcane unit. Minotaur adept with a hand axe. Two or three of them.

    Labyrinth Queen : Divine caster. High level, carried a staff. Only two per unit.

    Not sure about their siege weapon, leaning towards either a crude catapult (To shoot cows at enemies with), or a hand carried Battering Ram. Like the trolls and other thug nations of MoM, limited unit list but have some nicely heavy hitting murder machines, if low on other factions utility units.

    (Suggestions welcome, this was just a bare bones five minute list because I was asked.)

    Thank you, I like list. Shooting, cows, so getting rid of thing we want to forget eh.

  2. #12
    Heya,

    Sprite Raiders : The basic militia unit, Sprite warriors with javelins that come in groups of five.

    Sprite Hunters : The basic ranged unit, Sprite warriors with shortbows and daggers. Also comes in groups of five.

    Sprite Lancers : The second level melee unit, Sprite fighters with light armor and short spears.

    Wasp Knights : Sprite Fighters mounted on Giant Wasps. Armed with swords. Tier I 'Cavalry' unit. (No Unicorns because the elves already have that in their army list)

    Centaur Maruaders : Centaur fighters with javelins and battleaxes. Second tier cavalry unit with some ranged.

    Will-O’-Wisp : Flying spirits with electric attacks. Second tier flying unit and monster. Lacks the natural invisibility ability.

    Sprite Tricksters : Sprite sorcerers who have started taking arcane trickster levels, armed with sleep poisoned daggers. Arcane caster unit.

    Nymph : Mid-high tier Clerical unit, lacks normal special abilities except for Unearthly Grace. Magic attacks are weaker then normal but have a low chance of stunning units they hit in reference to Stunning Glance ability.

    Treant : Large monster unit. Big stick to hit things with and faction's top tier unit. Looses the Animate Trees ability.

    Your unit list is pretty nice, Happery. Here’s a couple other potential units for people to consider:

    Fey Planter: the settler unit. Since this faction, if it ever sees the light of play, will probably be a DLC faction, why not make their cities look like giant trees? The settler unit would plant the magic trees and the “buildings” would grow from it. That would separate them from the Sylvan Elves some more.

    Satyr Rogues: Satyrs would be hard to hit, suffer no movement penalties in forests (if there are any), and be able to get past walls. However, they wouldn’t hit as hard compared to other comparable units.

    Giant Turtle: naval unit.

    Unicorns: Were the Treants being considered for the Sylvan Elves? That’s what I thought, perhaps I’m wrong. The MoM unicorns were really powerful. This faction might need a very powerful top unit since the others might be kind of weak. Unicorns as fast moving, hard to kill units would fit that bill. Unlike some other factions whose top units fly, The Fey’s top unit wouldn’t have to. They have 3 other units that fly (faeries, sprites, wisps). So, I think we’re covered there.

    As far as faction lore goes, I picture The Fey as a dark and angry faction. They are especially enraged with the undead since they are the antithesis of nature. The Fey would probably not like the Dwarves, Golems, or Gnomes either.

    One thing that could make them very different from the other races is to make increase their movement rate. Instead of the default 1 tile per turn (or whatever WI decides will be the base rate), the Fey units would more at least 2 tiles per turn. Centaurs, Turtles, and Unicorns could move 3. This would make them a very fast moving faction, which means that opponents would have less time to prepare for an attack. The Fey would be more like shocktroopers. I imagine the Undead faction will move pretty slowly, so there is some nice symmetry here. If we want to provide a different play experience with each race (and I definitely do), then making these guys weak on the hit point side but fast on the movement side would accomplish that goal IMO.

    Peace,

    -Troy
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 05-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.

  3. #13
    I like the idea of city-trees. That would be a nice visual effect in-game.

  4. #14
    Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by NaytchSG View Post
    Why wouldn't or couldn't the Fey have more than one caster unit? (and mind you I am asking not to be difficult, but recalling MOM and AOW:SM and several races having priest and mage units). Thanks for the link to the SRD, I was a 1st edition player, so I am quite out of date
    They may or may not need or get a second caster unit, but they wouldn't try stuffing two monsters with different purposes into one unit. Treants are big and hit things. Dryads would want to stay out of melee and cast magic. If they make it into a list, they wouldn't make it by being shoved into another unit that wants to do the exact reverse of what they want to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Fey Planter: the settler unit. Since this faction, if it ever sees the light of play, will probably be a DLC faction, why not make their cities look like giant trees? The settler unit would plant the magic trees and the “buildings” would grow from it. That would separate them from the Sylvan Elves some more.
    Honestly, I've given up making settler units unless I have some special planned for them, like being able to fight. This looks as good as any other I've seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Satyr Rogues: Satyrs would be hard to hit, suffer no movement penalties in forests (if there are any), and be able to get past walls. However, they wouldn’t hit as hard compared to other comparable units.
    Sprites are already hard to hit, would probably, this being a fey faction, have foresting movement, and can fly/hover, so can get past walls. Come to think of it, flying/hovering movement would probably be better then foresting movement anyway, as it also lets you go over other stuff.... As well, I was trying to limit the random 'oh this is cool and iconic lets throw it in' feeling for the faction. We already have a Rogue unit in the Trickster, and you haven't given any equipment details that would make this be something else. If Satyrs make it in, they'd probably be the second tier infantry ranged unit, which the faction currently lacks as centaurs are being horsebowmen for them. Maybe with a army wide morale buff ability or something. (Hum, Saytr Bagpippers, killing you with bad music..)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Giant Turtle: naval unit.
    Not touching Navies until the nice game people actually tell us something about what they have planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Unicorns: Were the Treants being considered for the Sylvan Elves? That’s what I thought, perhaps I’m wrong. The MoM unicorns were really powerful. This faction might need a very powerful top unit since the others might be kind of weak. Unicorns as fast moving, hard to kill units would fit that bill. Unlike some other factions whose top units fly, The Fey’s top unit wouldn’t have to. They have 3 other units that fly (faeries, sprites, wisps). So, I think we’re covered there.
    As I have stated before, the Elves currently have the Unicorns in their army list. No doubles, please. (And unicorns aren't powerful enough to be a top tier unit anyway, they're only CR 3. They weren't that hot stuff back in MoM either.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    As far as faction lore goes, I picture The Fey as a dark and angry faction. They are especially enraged with the undead since they are the antithesis of nature. The Fey would probably not like the Dwarves, Golems, or Gnomes either.

    One thing that could make them very different from the other races is to make increase their movement rate. Instead of the default 1 tile per turn (or whatever WI decides will be the base rate), the Fey units would more at least 2 tiles per turn. Centaurs, Turtles, and Unicorns could move 3. This would make them a very fast moving faction, which means that opponents would have less time to prepare for an attack. The Fey would be more like shocktroopers. I imagine the Undead faction will move pretty slowly, so there is some nice symmetry here. If we want to provide a different play experience with each race (and I definitely do), then making these guys weak on the hit point side but fast on the movement side would accomplish that goal IMO.

    Peace,

    -Troy
    If Sprites can fly, they'd already naturally be a fast moving faction. Somewhat amused by how you are trying to make turtles move faster then the flying faeries though.

    And do we have to do the stereotypical hippy rage faction again?

  5. #15
    As opposed to what, stereotypical happy hippies?

  6. #16
    Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,770
    How about not being hippies at all? Just because you live in the country/forest doesn't mean you are a nature fanatic.

  7. #17
    Mage of the Lesser Tower Rybon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    289
    As I have stated before, the Elves currently have the Unicorns in their army list. No doubles, please. (And unicorns aren't powerful enough to be a top tier unit anyway, they're only CR 3. They weren't that hot stuff back in MoM either.)

    What you need here is a Quadacorn. Four times more powerful.


    That being said, none of the races are completely nailed down. You could certain switch out, now. Or if you decide the Fey are dark in nature it could be a black Unicorn. I think people get to stuck on the D20 rules. Aaron has already state they will be use as a reference, but if something makes better game play sense the rules are meant to be adaptable.
    Last edited by Rybon; 05-03-2013 at 10:23 PM.

  8. #18
    Moderator Asmodai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA (USA)
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    How about not being hippies at all? Just because you live in the country/forest doesn't mean you are a nature fanatic.
    I totally agree about the living in the country/forest part but I do believe both "fey" and "hippy" denote "nature fanatic" to many. I really don't think calling things "hippy" (be it the happy or rage variety) is the way to go but I at least understand the point.

    ---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

    I also would prefer not to have two factions with unicorns and I like them being with the elves.

    That being said though people seem to take issue about things like saying you can't use something because "they're only CR 3". So in defense of D20, Unicorns can advance like most other creatures and their advancement lists 5-8 so a 8 hit die unicorn would be a significantly more powerful foe. Also if you want even stronger ones the SRD has the Celestial Charger which is a 8 hit die unicorn PLUS a 7th level cleric and can continue to advance as a cleric if you like. It's easy to make things STRONGER in D20 so if people REALLY want to move Unicorn from Elves to Fey or don't mind the duplicates it can be easily done.

    Again though I'd prefer to keep just regular unicorns in the Elf list... but then again I still think a lot of these units would be better serving as additional units for Sylvan Elves instead of making a Fey faction at all so take what I say with a grain of salt, rofl.

  9. #19
    Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,770
    Well, I did point out they weren't very hot stuff in MoM either. I was more afraid of MoM sprites then unicorns.

  10. #20
    I wasn't sure if it was unicorns or treants on the elf list. Definitely do not want duplicate units.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
footer