Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fey: A Conglomerate Faction for WoM

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    I wasn't sure if it was unicorns or treants on the elf list. Definitely do not want duplicate units.
    I'm almost certain Unicorns are in the Elf list be it generic elf or the sylvan/wood variety. Treants were suggested for the Sylvan/wood elf list if we decided to separate high and sylvan/wood elf lists, which Aaron indicated he was leaning toward, but there was really no solid definition of what those separate lists would be. Treants have also been suggested for the Halfling faction. That's another of the problems with the "conglomerate" factions, their individual units often make nice power units to add flavor to some of the other factions instead of making an entire faction out them.

Apprentice
    I like the idea of the Fey faction being an Unseelie Faerie faction. But I also like the idea of Satyrs and Centaurs being in the mix. This is a situation where there's so many good potential ideas, that I don't know how you cram them all into one faction. Asmodai makes a good point about why conglomerate factions are hard. But it wouldn't hurt to try, IME. But by the time The Fey make it to the game, surely the Wood Elves and Hobbits would be in, right?

Elves are in the base game, they were originally going to be a conglomerate race of wood/wild/gray/high elves but Aaron has indicated an interest to possibly split them into a Wood/Wild elf faction that releases with the game and then a Gray/High elf faction that comes along later in DLC. Either way Unicorns seem to be in. It's not clear what the split lists may be though so other "fey" races might be added to the Wood Elves if the High Elves are pulled out. Hobbits don't seem to be getting much love in the current race polls and it's clear that what the community wants doesn't match my opinions so have no idea how a Fey faction would fare in the faction votes.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Centaurs broken out into their own faction. I see a centaur faction being somewhat similar to the Nomad faction from MoM. Their archers would effectively be horse archers, their spearmen would effectively be lancers, they'd have rangers, and their priest unit would be either shaman if they'd deemed primitive or druids if more advanced (I think either works so I'd just go with whatever was more balanced). They'd be tribal and nomadic similar to my suggestion for the Orcs so they'd be able to move their cities, wouldn't use money, etc.

Anyway just as another example. That faction would be rather low on my list (I'd much rather have orcs, gnomes, etc. first) but again I'd prefer not to release a composite faction that is made up of races that may make good factions later on there own. Other people may have similar feelings about other fey races as well.

I think centaurs as a stand alone faction would score lower than Twilight Vampire. I am pretty sure gnomes, minotaurs, faeries, high elves, and halflings would be voted in way before horse people.

I think centaurs as a stand alone faction would score lower than Twilight Vampire.
    Wow that's pretty brutal.
    I am pretty sure gnomes, minotaurs, faeries, high elves, and halflings would be voted in way before horse people.
    I too would prefer high elves, gnomes, and halflings before a centaur faction as I said it's pretty low on my list as well.
    That said I would prefer a Centaur faction more than minotaurs or faeries.
    I don't assume my opinions match the general public though and I'm sorry but I don't buy that you have your finger on the pulse of the largely silent masses. Unfortunately most of the people who are going to play this game don't even come to these forums and even those that do many just lurk and don't actually contribute to the discussion so the "silent majority" often does something entirely different from the what consensus between the active forum participants seems to be.

Currently 897 people vote in the poll. Way more than the people adding into the discussion. If it would be my choice.

I would go. But I am a little odd, so take if for what it is worth.

Minotuar,
    Insect
    Centaur
    Faeries,
    Halfing
    Gnome.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Honestly, I'd prefer to move Centaurs and Saytrs into their own Animal People Faction, on further thought. (Though I like the Minotaurs as their own factions, so..)

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Honestly, I'd prefer to move Centaurs and Saytrs into their own Animal People Faction, on further thought. (Though I like the Minotaurs as their own factions, so..)
    I'm surprised at how interesting the beastmen thread became. Putting the Satyrs and Centaurs in that faction does make sense. Perhaps Beastmen will make a better conglomerate faction that The Fey?

Apprentice
    I'm not sure this faction turned out all that well. Faeries don't seem to have a lot of depth to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcosP. View Post
    I'm not sure this faction turned out all that well. Faeries don't seem to have a lot of depth to mine.
    I'm not upset at how this faction turned out. It was a good thought experiment. I wanted to see where the bleeding edges lie as far as workable factions, and I think I found one of them. I love the idea of dark faeries, so there's still some hope for the future. It will just take a lot more thought and development. Because I definately think it would be fun to play something like this:

faeire.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast