Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beastmen

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    And if they win, we can start arguing over what the beastmen are.

Personally I was always a fan of the beastmen from Warhammer. They were part of the Chaos faction and not a stand alone nation. I would rather see them be more akin to that and be a more mutant race with beastman just being one of the lower mutations. They would be an otherworldy / demonic race and not a forest race as you are portraying them. That would be my perference.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Um, what? In warhammer, they were a stand alone faction. Yes, yes, A Chaos Faction, but the Beasts of Chaos was it's own army list, and you didn't need any other army book to play them. And they also lived in the forests. As primitive savage forest beastmen.

Most definitely they were, and still are, a standalone faction. They were in the 3rd edition, probably earlier, and that was over 23 years ago, showing my age now
    Last edited by zdsdead; 05-22-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Are they already gnolls in WOM? If not, they could be a hyena-hybrid or a wolf-hybrid.
    Beastmen could be very flexible, if you allow (for example)
    - small beastmen (e.g. ratmen)
    - flying beastmen (e.g. birdmen, harpyies)
    - water-beastmen (e.g. nagas)
    - "natural" heavy infantry (e.g. spider-man-hybrids; you'll find plenty of images)
    - special units (e.g. apemen)

I'd rather not take goat-headed beastmen as core, because that would be nothing but a Warhammer clone. Gors are so typically warhammer, I'd find it a pity, if WOM would just copy the concept. And there are SO MANY beasts out there, it needn't be a goat (gnolls or wolfmen would be much fancier)...

btw: are Klackons already somewhere in WOM? Ants are beasts, too...

Well I haven't played in probably 20+ years so my memory is off I guess. Seem to remember having them and chaos and demons at the same time but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackblade View Post
    Well I haven't played in probably 20+ years so my memory is off I guess. Seem to remember having them and chaos and demons at the same time but maybe I'm wrong.
    Yeah, Chaos used to be one faction in long-forgotten ages, when the world was still young. However, they split them in 6th or 7th edition into three parties (hordes of chaos, beastmen, and demons), though allowing each to choose from the other lists to a limited amount.

Still, I fi d it dangerous to borrow too much from wh. I made that mistake a while ago, and it cost me quite a lot of time to restore the amount of individuality I wanted to achieve. WH is good, and attractive. And too many will know where you got your ideas from.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123