-Trading spells with other wizards
    -Alchemy
    -Melding a spirit with a node to get TONS of mana/power
    -Inspirations (town enchantment)

What are some of your favorite things?

Peace,

-Troy

Arcane Candidate
    Torin the Chosen and using 11 sorcery (blue) spell books to make Flying Invisible Warships. With spell lock of course. Dispel would really suck
    What I liked about my Warships is that it unlike most other op strategies this one takes quite some time to pull off. I will be a while before you have build a maritime guild to construct your warships.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Aside from raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, I liked that the world felt alive and for the most part out to get you. That and the huge variety of stuff to do. Was it balanced? no. Was the AI good? No. But it was entertaining and fun as hell, and that was the key to it's success.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    it was entertaining and fun as hell, and that was the key to it's success.
    Here, here!

MoM has nearly infinite replayability due to how you can customize your wizard. And even with the same wizard build, your starting race and other races you find can seriously alter how that game plays out as well. I like everything about MoM with the one exception of the out of date UI.

Apprentice
    - units rising from the dead after a battle to join my team
    - heroes with "Noble" (i.e. they give *you* money every turn)
    - building roads
    - taking over the last enemy city on my main island/continent
    - War Trolls in the front, halfling Slingers in the back (I almost never get there, but it's always my goal

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower bloss's Avatar
    Great lists! I agree with everything that Troy said. Making your own magic items was fab. Melding spirits to nodes was very satisfying. Life playing had that major reward of the Guardian spirit who was harder to dislodge. Maybe there could be an even higher level spirit, that you had to work to obtain, who could not be dislodged?

What i prefer was the power of high level spells (incarnation, crusade, skydrake, zombie master...) each time different because of the randomness of the spell pick

Apprentice
    I have one more. It might sound very stupid compare to other bombastic features... but I love it

The icons based look of the unit detail screen. many games use numbers for the stat, AOW:SM use the stacking icons which I found hard to count or read at one glance.

I like MOM's style. It even have different icons for different attack types like "fireballs" for magic ranged attack, bows for archery ranged attack.

and all the icons nicely design for every single unique ability my heroes has in the the 1 page detail screen. Sometimes, I pause the game in tactical battles then appreciate and count those icons one by one that appear in my Demigod ranked heroes and feel so happy and proud on my hard work bringing up them.

sounds stupid? yeah... but I can't help myself for not doing that.

Abecedarian Mage
    If I'd have to choose a couple of things that I really liked (and still like) about MOM...

Different schools of magic were, well, different. This is something that almost every attempt at replicating MOM has failed to realize with their boring and insignificant selection of spells.

An excellent selection of creatures and heroes with many skills and abilities.

General atmosphere of the game, music, graphics, special effects - all that stuff. It may be VGA and twenty years old, but I still like it!

Acolyte
    The ability to meld troops from different races into an army. Johnny Go-Time alluded to it above, but I wanted to mention it specifically. I loved mixing halfling slingers with war trolls as he mentioned or with human paladins and nomad griffins.

I also loved how Cracks Call could effect Paladins as it affected the world, not the magic immune unit.

And how Web and Cracks Call also worked together against flying units.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast