Thread: Engineeers and building beyond Cities

Hybrid View

Acolyte

Engineeers and building beyond Cities

I thought it might be interesting if Engineers had the ability to build forts / defensive fortifications beyond cities.
    Also where ruins and old castles are liberated of their hosts - the ability to rebuild them and turn them into hamlets or new Castles, which would act like outposts. These places would provide 1 free movement point through them, and various defensive and offensive bonuses. Thoughts?

Yeah, that would be good

Sorcerer
    I've already described a few ideas about engineers - and I like this one as well.

Generally, my full support usually goes to all ideas related to building, construction and creation.

Arcane Candidate
    I've always wanted the ability to do a sort of Hadrians Wall in MoM games. Though I'd like external structures limited via resource access e.g. quarry tile or something similar.

Acolyte
    Should engineering tasks really be done by an actual unit? Is it really fun to build each engineer, move him, and maybe check on him or have to see and skip him each turn? I don't recall that having engineers engaged in tactical combat in MOM was a big thrill.

As a powerful evil/good overlord of the realm, I really should be saying "build a road from here to there" or "turn that forest into farmland" and let my officers deal with the details. I could decide to assign some soldiers to guard the engineering project, and let them find their own way there (maybe just magically appear there x turns later, just to save AI pathfinding time). Roads would extend gradually, with a goldcost per turn. I could make a decision to suspend the project to save gold (maybe not all the way to zero cost?) or to speed construction (more gold, but without the micromanagement of building and moving another engineer unit).

To me, the fun part is deciding where/when to build a project, and seeing it grow and finally be completed. Moving the engineering unit is just tedium.

Mage’s Assistant
    An even more pertinent question: are engineers any use at all? Sure they can build roads but roads seem to be brown lines across tiles that generate no benefits at all. I assume (hope) that is just something people haven't gotten around to yet. Not the only use for engineers, but the only one that is relevant to me.

I have always enjoyed the micromanaging aspects of engineers - but they do need to be doing something useful or it is just a waste of time (and food for those always hungry engineers)

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    connecting cities will give gold due to trade, not sure if the details are finalized yet though.