Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Things I Disliked about MoM

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

The Things I Disliked about MoM

In trying to keep the threads in this forum on-topic I felt obliged to create this one so as not to stray in the "Liked" thread.

I suggest keeping things upbeat and offer a why the feature was disliked.
    ------------
    1. UI did not have next/prev city buttons. Made managing cities cumbersome. (at least there was a way to select next unit )
    2. Some races were way better than others. I seldom used the weak ones.
    3. AI was limited. Made conquering them easy unless all 4 were only at war with you and not each other.
    4. I personally didn't care for Cracks Call because it was an inexpensive insta-death spell. It either needed to cost way more to cast or have an easier resist roll. When I played life and had Torin at Demigod Cracks Call would still kill him over half the time.

1. No production queue. I think this is already planned on being put in but it would make managing cities easier

2. Grand Vizier: I tried using it a few times and hated it. I would love a customizable "Grand Vizier" or a by city basis.
    For Example: I could set up my grand vizier to when activated in a new colony to build in order Smithy-granary-marketplace-farmers market-sawmill-forester's guild-notify me.
    I have played several games that allowed a queue but not a customizable auto queue and I think it would be a neat addition.

3. Crack's Call. I also hates this spell. mainly because the ai spammed it till it was successful. maybe just an increased cost would be sufficient.

I'll try to think of more. It's hard to think of a feature I didn't like, most things I think of are features left out.

Many of the worst parts of that genre in general went away with time. I can't think of a serious 4x in years without things like production queues, better AI than MoM or other little annoying things. One of the greatest weaknesses - you release a game and that's it - is long since gone.

That being said, the endgame of MoM was usually pretty dull. I'd usually call it a win after I knew I could.

Acolyte
    Black Sleep was a tough spell to fight against. I wish there had been a counter to it.

Cracks Call was tough, and if I recall correctly it also prevented Resurrection! I remember rage reloading (tm) several times after a favorite hero or unit was thus consumed.

Just wanted to jump in real quick and say I also hate Cracks Call. It is way too cheap for an instant death spell, especially considering how hard it is to resist. I suppose that was suppose to be offset by the fact that flight defeated it completely, but I still feel it was more agitating than fun. (Maybe I shouldn't say that as a Dev, but I had Torin killed just last night... very annoying...)

I also want to say that I'm going to be taking notes here, so carry on

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I liked the idea of Crack's Call, but the implantation was.. questionable.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by baenre View Post
    I would love a customizable "Grand Vizier" or a by city basis.
    For Example: I could set up my grand vizier to when activated in a new colony to build in order Smithy-granary-marketplace-farmers market-sawmill-forester's guild-notify me.
    +1
    Thank you for posting this! I can't think of any feature I would rather see added to MoM than this.
    In fact I'd like to be able to create a set of build orders, give each one a friendly name, and then select the desired build order for each town.
    I lose interest in MoM once I've secured an island/continent and start sending out a Settler every few turns from my hometown. I love the idea of sending out this diaspora, but I hate the tediousness of having to step each town through the first 5 or 6 buildings.

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

I don't like the near-useless warning you get before entering Ruins or Nodes etc: "Your scouts have spotted Earth Elementals inside".
    Is it 1 Elemental? Or is it 5 plus a bunch of supporting troops? I hate risking a rookie hero and a few veteran soldiers early in the game on such unhelpful information.

Eador has done a good job of this: your units tell you something like, "If you send me in there, I'm dead meat!" which is a great feature.

Crack's Call was a spell I used when all else failed. For some reason, when I cast it it seemed to have about a 33% to 50% success rate. To be honest, I don't recall the AI ever casting it successfully against me; but then he wasn't persistent about casting it and if it failed the first time he tried something else. Perhaps my magical resistance to his spells was greater than his to mine.

Something that I found annoying was how Lizardmen (who could walk on water) and Draconians (who could fly) were able to expand much faster than I because they were able to cross bodies of water without constructing a Shipwrights Guild or a Shipyard and building ships. Of course the easy way around this was to play as the Lizardmen or Draconians, so I really couldn't complain.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    +1 also for the new colony default build queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Go-Time View Post

I don't like the near-useless warning you get before entering Ruins or Nodes etc: "Your scouts have spotted Earth Elementals inside".

Eador has done a good job of this: your units tell you something like, "If you send me in there, I'm dead meat!" which is a great feature.
    I wouldn't call it useless information. It was vague on purpose, at least you could scout the ruin and not have to battle it. However, I like the Eador system with one modification for WoM. Eador only allowed troop movement with heroes. I think the "I'll win/I'll lose" guess should be limited to if you have a hero along. And maybe the guess gets more accurate the higher level the hero is.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower bloss's Avatar
    I agree with many who dislike cracks call - it was definitely chaotic, but too easy. Should be a much higher order spell. I must confess that I always found starting on the difficult level of MOM nearly impossible, but maybe that's just me. The chaos enemies and their global spells were too strong.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast