Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Things I Disliked about MoM

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower bloss's Avatar
    Thanks - I never knew that!

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    try hitting the 'n' key. it makes the mouse jump over to the next button and clicks it. still clunky, but slightly more convenient than having to move the mouse over there manually every time
    AFAIK this feature is only in the insecticide patch.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Shortcuts such as 'N' for next turn exist in original v. 1.31 as well. Other useful shortcuts are 'D' for unit done, 'W' for unit wait, 'P' for plane switch, 'G' for game window, 'C' for center on active unit, 'S' for spells window, 'M' for magic window. I am sure there is more.

More thorough list copy pasted from here:
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrub
    There are a lot of hotkeys. The most important are those already mentioned.
    Most notably F1..F9 because they are inaccessible directly from the main screen.
    I also use M --> A combination to go directly to Alchemy tool on the Magic screen.
    Q is quite important, because it lets you see the small income window before you reach the end of the turn.
    Then there are the cheats - on Magic screen you press ALT + RVL which auto-casts Nature Awarness, or ALT + PWR which gives you and any opponent 10.000 mana and 100 skill and the knowledge of all the spells from the spellbooks. This is useful for studying spells and their effects (but opponents will start to cast Spell of Mastery immediately).
    Most useful hotkeys
    -------------------------
    main
    W...wait
    D....done
    C...center on active unit
    P...change plane
    M...Magic screen (to change powerbase distribution and to communicate with AIs)
    S...cast a spell
    M -> A ... Alchemy
    F1...surveyor
    F9...you see your wizard overview
    (F2...minimap or F5...power comparison)

city screen
    C...change
    B...buy
    combat
    D...done
    W..wait
    S...cast a spell

Escape
    The most important hotkey, it can get you out of most screen without commiting. Notably, you may even take back a spell you almost casted in combat, but then you decided not to. Caution: Escape does NOT work during item creation, the item will be generated. You have to go manually to the Spells screen, click on the spell and disable it.
    Last edited by Jtm; 12-07-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: More shortcuts

Arcane Candidate
    Hi,

One thing I noticed is that game has a lot of things that "looks" weak, OP, unbalanced etc. where it is not.
    For instance, crack call, which was mentioned many times here. This spell has 25% chances to destroy a non flying corporal unit. Which mean an average of 80 mana per kill. I don't think many creature would resist to any 80 mana offensive spell. It is just that when it succeed on your favorite hero on first try, it looks OP.
    Same for paladins. Yes it is powerfull unit, but gnoll first units will crush the tiny human swordsman way before the paladins are out.

I really like this game and encourage to try out what you consider (or read) as weak or OP...

Now: one think I dislike: fleeing unit are still able to move (attack ?) at their turn. I d like to see them stuck the next turn and allow only one escape per turn ...

Apprentice
    The Merciless Deserts of the American Southwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Cast and Flee - when confronting an enemy, or when confronted, fleeing should only be your first option. Not an option available until each of your units has acted.
    +1. Hate it when I'm trying to pin down single units like a settler and the AI just throws spells at me before running away. You know, for that matter I think MoM's implementation of fleeing was rather annoying. 50/50 shot of making it or not?? lame.
    "It matters not, how straight the gate, how charged with punishment the scroll. I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." -Invictus.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    It was really annoying having to spend five+ turns to kill one settler with two or three cavalry units.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I would much prefer a AoW style fleeing : you can only flee by moving units to a specific cell(s) in the board. So chances of fleeing depend on tactical skill and units actual features. If your unit is fast, it can easily flee. If the ennemy has ranged unit, fleeing is harder. And so on.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    I would much prefer a AoW style fleeing : you can only flee by moving units to a specific cell(s) in the board. So chances of fleeing depend on tactical skill and units actual features. If your unit is fast, it can easily flee. If the ennemy has ranged unit, fleeing is harder. And so on.
    throw in having fleeing cost world map movement points + direction of fleeing matters for where you end up fleeing to and you have the my suggestion from the fleeing units thread way back when. easily the best of the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    It was really annoying having to spend five+ turns to kill one settler with two or three cavalry units.
    +1 to that for sure. You'd almost have to surround that one unit with either units of your own or trap them against the sea. I hated that.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I actually liked the cast & flee - it was an aspect of the AI I could exploit. All I have to do is split off one or two units to hound the unit I'm chasing (not a big deal) and I'm whittling down the enemy's mana reserves, preventing him from being able to cast spells in the big battles when tactical spells are what decide the outcome.

Having said that, I hope the AI in WoM will be intelligent enough not to waste mana on insignificant battles.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast