Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit&Run Combat

Acolyte

Hit&Run Combat

One thing I haven't seen before in a game is rules for allowing hit and run tactics. If your faction didn't have the means for defending cities very well (no walls, for example), you would want to set up distant warning towers and units, and then try to wear down invading armies before they reached your city. Throwing fast-but-weak units at them is one possibility. Placing slower, tougher units in their path is another (unless they're fast enough to just run around your units).

Instead, what if you had units with hit&run (skirmish?) ability? This might allow tactical combat for 3 turns or whatever works in playtesting. Horsebowmen could get off three volleys and retreat (without the regular retreat losses rules). An obvious counter is ranged units. Cavalry with the charge ability would get their devastating charge, and then retreat. Pikemen might discourage that. Both sides, of course, would have the chance for wizard spells or hero spells, or if that is too powerful, you can simply say that: "It happens too quickly for your wizard to react".

The skirmish ability would require the whole army to have movement faster than the defending army. If WoM's movement rules have a wider range than MoM's, there could be several possibilities:

Hit and run, with the defender not catching up the next round.
    The defender does catch up next round, but only triggers another skirmish.
    Full tactical combat the next round.

I think this fits as something that could have been in MoM, and would be a nice option for differentiating units available to factions.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    In MoM combat ended movement for that stack.

WoM certainly doesn't have to follow suit, but initiating combat should definitely use at least one movement point.

I know Aaron is playing with the idea to allow retreat (and also reinforcements). I'm not even sure a new special ability needs to be invented. Just make your one quick hit and withdraw.

For the sake of argument lets say that infantry move 2 on the strategic map and light cav or horse archers move 4. If the cav started in the next square to the infantry, initiating combat takes their first move. The cav/archers make their opening charge/salvo and withdraw, the cav can then retreat 3 spaces and be safe.

The scenario above can be done if Aaron puts in the retreat mechanic. Having +2 moves above your enemy is the only way I can see it working though without opening the huge can of worms to invent skirmish/guerilla warfare rules.

I think we should be careful here, Nomad horde type warfare while great for the person using it, can be utterly frustrating boring for the other player, having said that it is a viable tactic, that was used throughout history, to great effect, but in many games I have played it can make for a boring game, if your opponent never closes for combat until you have one man left standing, and his only participation in the game is rolling armour saves. I know there will be magic thrown into the mix, but there should be a chance to get to grips with the dodgy buggers!. I think it will need playtesting ;-)

Civilization had something like this. Shore bombardment with naval units and air raids with bombers are sort of like hit and run attacks. Perhaps units like catapults, rune cannons, balistas, frigates, etc. would be able to bombard units in an adjacent zone. Maybe spell casters too.

Additionally, maybe certain faction units never suffer losses on a retreat. Archery units perhaps?

Sorcerer
    I'd also support some kind of a hit&run mechanic. The simplest I think would be something like what was already described above: those units that are faster than the ones they are attacking should be able to withdraw from combat without (any significant) losses.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by zdsdead View Post
    I think we should be careful here, Nomad horde type warfare while great for the person using it, can be utterly frustrating boring for the other player,
    Perhaps counter this by making it dependent on who initiates the combat? e.g., When skirmishers attack an enemy stack, they can withdraw without penalty/losses, but, when another stack attacks the skirmishers, they're "caught off-guard" and suffer the same consequences from withdrawing as any other unit would.

yes that could work,but you will have to catch the buggers first!!, they will be on horses. Its going to need playtesting thats all. Im sure it will be, if it gets into the game. Like I said its certainly a valid tactic, we just have to be careful to make sure that it does not result in being too good, and the only involvement an opposing player has is watching armour saves etc.
    Last edited by zdsdead; 05-20-2013 at 11:22 AM.

The most simple solution would imo be, that retreating works by simply stepping over the edge of the screen. Thus, fast units can flee without losses, given that they reach the borders without being killed.
    Also, I would find it quite interesting to be able to hide units on the map, so that an opponent does not know that you have hidden, say, raiders somewhere in the woods, before he steps on them.

I'm not sure how it could work in a game like WoM. Even if you have a fast unit the opponent wizard could kill it himself or with ranged units. The problem is that this isn't Civ V, you have a separate screen of tactical combat. Hit & Run could work inside tactical combat (with a unit that attacks and retreats after attacking) but I don't see how it could work in the strategic map.
    “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

George Bernard Shaw

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by VolkervonAlzey View Post
    Also, I would find it quite interesting to be able to hide units on the map, so that an opponent does not know that you have hidden, say, raiders somewhere in the woods, before he steps on them.
    ++

I definitely like the tactical concealment idea. I'd also say to allow units with the appropriate ability to gain concealment during the course of the battle (e.g., the opponent sees you move into the woods, but then doesn't know where in those woods you are).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast