Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Goblins: the Zerg Force of WoM

Arcane Candidate
    Another common vision of goblin faction is an magic based empire as goblins are as much intelligent as any other and as they are small and agile they are pretty good on the battlefield as magi(as much efficients spells but really hard to hit) and as the spells does not depends of the size an spell for creating food or building seems pretty useful for an man sized creature but for an small creature it creates awesome banquets or builds colossal buildings in which they can fit all their family. Also goblins learns really fast (at least in dungeons and dragons where they finish their magic studies at 18 years) and they are really very numerous which allows to have an huge intellectual production.So I through to an magic and economics based race with rogues and scouts as low level units.As you can see in the text file the goblins lack an heavy fighter or an flier but can do nearly all their units with economics buildings have most of them and have fast reproduction rate but for compensating that you can make the goblins have extra unrest (they have so many thieves) and maybe bad diplomatic relations (who have not at least one time lost his gold because of the goblins deals or thieves) and even increased rate of negative events for your money (like you see that your goblins thieves have stolen your gold or that mercenary you tried to hire was an part of an fraud or that awesome magical item you bought was an false) and even from time to time one of your goblins will sell itself to an opponent.My carriage returns does not works when I post it works only in the display because of that I can not make something readable should I remove this post for this reason? There is an TXT attachment for those who want to loose their time who contains more than this post(for example the units I through to but they are all lame and unoriginal) and have working carriage returns
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Nulitor; 06-23-2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: I am infinitely and more angry because of the not working carriage returns I think to the possiblitity to destroy my computer and create potatoes and destroy again my computer in hell.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    from a lore point of view i always liked a short lived, biologically varied, omnivorous, selfish race for goblins. the average intelligence would be equal to humans, if they were all killed off at say 30 years old. so really smart people don't stand out due to having less time to learn and develop ideas, but the stupid ones would stand out due to the society operating off of a abbreviated system for things (like language), as well as there being much more of them (same with smart ones, but less noticeable due to short life span and a general lack of cooperation for big projects). the cowardice is purely from selfishness, as sacrificing oneself is generally a selfless act, and thus they tend not to do such things. they would do stupid and dangerous things if there was a big enough pay off (like banditry and raiding). caves and inhospitable regions generally would be where they are found, as they handle such areas better (able to eat less healthy stuff, and live off less), the demographics would shift to a more advantageous mix due to a higher biological diversity (short term evolution). the shorter life span means quicker life cycles, and thus faster population growth, and shorter racial memories, which leads to disharmonious relations with their environment (they don't remember how it used to be, and thus what could be). selfishness leads to poor relations, as well as mistrust, leading to generally having to learn and do things on their own (even amongst themselves, which keeps them from culturally evolving as a race).

any sort of empire or nation of goblins then needs a strong leader to keep them in line and working towards the common good (high unrest, and thus few super cities, yet many low end cities). in battle they would operate as low morale units, as they value their own lives more than some cause (and thus weaker units). they would have larger relation penalties for multi race empires. on the up side it would be easy to keep stupid goblins happy and under your thumb, and with a lot of them in the race that means low cost/upkeep low end units. they also would have the ability for most infrastructure, gaining (though weaker) high end units and good economic return. since low end units are dirt cheap it would be easy to blanket an area with them, with a fast pop growth that means quick expansion. late game they would have weak units, with the same upkeep, resulting in a weaker non magical late game (and a heavier reliance on non racial power, like magic and mercenaries, as the game goes on).

this would reinforce traditional goblin overlord stereotype play, while not having the goblins actually want such an overlord type. it would also not prevent inventive play styles that use them in interesting ways (via direct benefits for using them in a stereotypical manner).

Arcane Candidate
    You are right about the goblins showing no magi when left to their own device or when enslaved by tyrants but once an powerful Magic lord comes create discipline show his powers and explain the importance of knowledge and magic and give to anyone the opportunity to gain culture it is sure than in a few time many goblins will be initiated to the art of magic as mentalities evolve fast because goblins live fast there would be only some steps before having an empire full of goblins magi.The neutral goblins cities would probably have nearly no economics buildings and would be pretty primitive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I like this. Hordes of cheap goblins falling in droves to the white fire of the forces of Good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345