Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Men CA -> Spearman

Abecedarian Mage
    The version without the "ears" looks better! I like the style, it's very distinctive.

I think the shoulder plates look good. Personally, I dislike the exaggerated ones you see in so many games, like Warhammer or Dragon Age. This one is more realistic and functional.

Oh that's a lot better, great stuff. What software do you use to draw your images with?

I use Photoshop.

My only other thought is that again while artistically it looks great conceptually I just thought the spearmen, being a pre-smithy unit for high men would be less well armored. This guy looks great but it also looks like he's wearing very nice metal armor and my impression (which could be totally wrong anyway) was that high men spearmen would be wearing more light armor like leather or other non-metal until the player could build a smithy and build more advanced units with metal armor like swordsmen and pikemen.

There's mostly leather there Asmodai. Maybe with the exception of his helmet. Of course it's hard to gauge from b&w sketch. We'll be doing colour passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech View Post
    There's mostly leather there Asmodai. Maybe with the exception of his helmet. Of course it's hard to gauge from b&w sketch. We'll be doing colour passes.
    Thanks for the clarification, it really does look great. Please don't take my comments as negative.

That's ok, we appreciate any kind of feedback

Plus I want them to look like the men of Gondor. If they don't have a smithy yet they forge weapons and armor around a camp fire! How do they get it hot enough? One of them stands there blowing on the coals! That's how tough they are!!!

Apprentice
    I like the revised version!

I don't know if it's possible but since units level it would be kind of neat if there were small changes signifying rank.

For example level 1 and 2 spearmen could look just like this.
    level 3 and 4 could add like a crest on their helmets
    level 5 could have wings on the sides

This wouldn't be unique to spearmen though, other units could use a similar system.

Anyway just an idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast