Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Men CA -> Cleric

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    it also really breaks the immersion for me.
    How often do you hear about medieval era female warriors? In ancient times there were the amazons, but even they have been called into question.

Immersion aside, I agree there could be some female units, I just don't know about 50%.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    How often do you hear about medieval era female warriors? In ancient times there were the amazons, but even they have been called into question.
    Worlds of Magic has a fantasy setting, not a historical setting. It usually doesn't break the immersion for me in games that focus on historical accuracy like the total war series, but it does break the immersion for me in most other genres when there are only male units.

cleric_revised.jpg

I aim to please

Sorcerer
    +1000 Much better now. I really love the new female design

Looks great, I like the one on the left the best but I'd prefer a mace for the weapon. To me the staff is a weapon for one unskilled in melee combat such as a mage/druid or peasant (except in Asian cultures although even there the weapons tended to be improvised from common items). To me at least clerics in a fantasy setting are skilled warriors cleansing the world of undead, demons, and acting as combat medics.

That's actually a good point about the mace. I keep looking at these images merely from an "art" point of view. I get sucked in by the fact that I like how they look and forget to mention technical details.

Yes, the clerics need a mace and shield. They are combat priests, not lay healers

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    When are you going to make some female units? All of the units so far have been male. I would really like it if each humanoid unit you train would randomly be either gender. If you don't have the resources to do so, could you please make around half of the humanoid units female. It's really sexist when all the units are men, and it also really breaks the immersion for me. If you don't have the resources to make male and female models for all the units, I would like to suggest that the cleric, the engineer, and the spearman, should be switched to be women instead of men.
    I really hope they don't do this, tbh. HoMM6 had a large number of female units and it looked really forced like Germain Greer was looking over the artist's shoulder. This is fantasy but it will always be based on Human History that has traditionally had men in the roles of war. Only if the faction was, say, a matriarchy (like Dark elves in D&D) would it make sense.

As for the staff/mace debate, certainly Clerics have wielded maces to avoid the profusion of blood (such as Odo of Boulogne at the Battle of Hastings), and it also makes sense for battling the brittle bones of the Undead. To avoid them being a generic warrior-type perhaps some sort of long-handled two-handed mace?

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    (Please ignore the first paragraph written by War Troll in the post above mine)

Wojciech, will you be creating male and female versions of all the units like you are for the cleric. If so THANK YOU!!! I would also like to thank you for not sexualizing the art for the female cleric. It's sad that art like this is the exception, not the norm.

On to the cleric equipment changes. I think that if the clerics are combat priests as Aaron said instead of pure healers, they should definitely wear armor. I would give the cleric a mace, a shield with a holy symbol painted on it, and chainmail.
    Last edited by Endless Rain; 05-29-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Removed "name calling" at the request of Krakizbad and War Troll.

Acolyte
    Will you create unique holy symbols for each race's clerics? Or will there be "alignments" based on what magic schools/race combo you choose?

The revised clerics look good. Have you thought about using a rod of Asclepius? (I guess that has a connection to an ancient religion...)

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    (Please ignore the first paragraph written by the sexist troll above me)
    I don't appreciate name calling and certainly not when I've earnestly stated my position without having to result to it myself. Perhaps you would do well to follow my example.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast