Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Men CA -> Cleric

Keep it friendly or be moderated.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I don't like female units being common myself. It's something that just bugs me and my immersion. The biological and evolutionary facts that historically created the tendency for males to do all the fighting are rarely touched in any games...

I think having two sets of models for every race is really not worth the effort. I would rather them spend that modeling time making new units instead of graphical variations of the same unit.

That said I hope there is a good number of female wizards to pick from when you start the game, I've stated before that I think ideally there would be on of each sex for each race but as that's more wizards than we are going to get at launch I guess we won't get that. Wizards aren't units in the game though and each is a distinct model anyway so it's no extra work to make female ones in addition to male ones.

I hope there is also a good number of female heroes and champions, again heroes and champions are unique models already so making some female isn't any extra work.

For base, city produced, units having the vast majority male I really don't see as a problem as it is more historically accurate and doing double the models for no function difference really seems a waste.

One of the appeals of the Drow flavor of Dark Elves though is that Drow are a matriarchal theocracy and while we certainly aren't bound to that in the WoM interpretation it's a nice bit of flavor for them to make all their priest type units (and possibly others?) female instead male. Even if the Drow variation of Dark Elves isn't taken the female-only units could potentially be applied to another faction in a similar manner as a flavor element. This wouldn't be as redundant as making both sexes for every single unit, you would just pick some units to make only female just as most units are only male, no duplication needed.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    +1 for Asmodai comment.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Personally I don't see the big deal about the high men faction being heavy/all on male units. You could just call it thier thing from a lore/flavour viewpoint and allow the other races to have more an even mix... aside from Dwarfs who I hope will be like Discworld dwarfs, the dark elves who I assume will be female heavy if drow focused and insectoids who I assume a concept such a gender won't really matter because weird bug people. And I assume you won't be able to tell via conventional means with the draconian race unless you want to take the 'non-mammal mammaries' route, which... well considering the internet, that might be a bad idea. ... hmm using that train of thougt it'd mean that only the elves would obviously be equal gender wise, unless you want to stick tits on an otherwise fleshless skeleton. Which would be pretty funny.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I think having two sets of models for every race is really not worth the effort. I would rather them spend that modeling time making new units instead of graphical variations of the same unit.
    It doesn't seem like much effort to me. All the artists have to do is edit the face and chest, like the female version of the cleric we saw. The artists would have to do even less work for heavily armored units. It's not like the artists are going to start from scratch whenever they make a female unit. You won't be able to tell the difference between male and female Draconians, Insectoids, and most Undead, and Golems are genderless, leaving only four to six factions of units to add units of both genders for, depending on if Golems or Insectoids make it into the game. I am pretty sure that the artists can do that in a week or two. (Wojciech, if you have a better estimate, please let us know.) Also, adding female units will greatly improve sales among female gamers, which will result in the funding of more DLC containing new units.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    It doesn't seem like much effort to me. All the artists have to do is edit the face and chest, like the female version of the cleric we saw. The artists would have to do even less work for heavily armored units. It's not like the artists are going to start from scratch whenever they make a female unit. You won't be able to tell the difference between male and female Draconians, Insectoids, and most Undead, and Golems are genderless, leaving only four to six factions of units to add units of both genders for, depending on if Golems or Insectoids make it into the game. I am pretty sure that the artists can do that in a week or two. (Wojciech, if you have a better estimate, please let us know.)
    As a programmer myself I love it when people who know nothing about programming tell me something seems like it would be easy. It's easy to say "all you have to do is X, Y, and Z but that doesn't make it easy to actually do it. I honestly don't know one way or the other, not being an artist myself, but I doubt it's as easy as you imply.

Also, adding female units will greatly improve sales among female gamers, which will result in the funding of more DLC containing new units.
    I don't buy that for one second. Companies have been trying to capture more female gamers for quite some time and if it was as easy as throwing in some female models then they wouldn't be doing so poorly at it. Either female gamers like games like this or they don't. The notion that having female models for units "will greatly improve sales among female gamers" is frankly absurd.

Actually it would be quite lot of work to do. Firstly females usually have different physiques than male. I mean hips, waist, the whole silhouette, not only chest + face and hair. So it means some modelling, and then painting textures. What is more it means twice as much animation as animation for man are completely different than ones for female. I don't say it's impossible, I just think it would be really hard on that stage of development to add so much work.
    On the other hand it could be interesting to have male and female units randomly generated in one squad.

Y'know, all this talk of gendery stuff has reminded me of another fun topic. What skin colour are the high men going to be?

(also can't you just... idk, make a bunch of units in heavy plate armour that show no skin or body shape and claim them to be a multi-gendered group of knights that were handselected for the task due to thier skill with a blade or something like that?)

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Also, adding female units will greatly improve sales among female gamers, which will result in the funding of more DLC containing new units.
    I find that very hard to believe. If I played a FIFA game I wouldn't expect half the players to be female, and I doubt it would improve sales that much to be worth the bother (It would probably kill sales. I mean, like, Julius Caesar levels of dead).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast