View Poll Results: Should there be a male and female version of every humanoid unit?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 38.96%
  • Optional, And Default

7 9.09%
  • Optional, Not Default

9 11.69%
  • No

31 40.26%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Female Units in Worlds of Magic

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar

Female Units in Worlds of Magic

This thread was created to finish the discussion about whether to add female units to Worlds of Magic, as the cleric thread was getting off topic. Please keep all discussion of this topic here and not in the cleric thread. Link to the previous thread here: http://forum.wastelands-interactive....eric#post55756

I don't believe non-backers will be able to follow the link to the cleric thread as it is in a backers only forum.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Female Characters yes. Certain female units in certain factions...yes.

Male and female versions of EVERY humanoid unit....Not for me. Sorry.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by devoncop View Post
    Female Characters yes. Certain female units in certain factions...yes.

Male and female versions of EVERY humanoid unit....Not for me. Sorry.
    You do realize that if it is optional, you won't have to use the feature at all, right? This way I will be able to rule my egalitarian utopia, while you can still make your empire basically Medieval Europe with spellcasters. Answers two and three are a win-win for everyone, except maybe the artists.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Its the artists (and development time) I'm thinking of !

In reality its likely to be an option. I just voted this way to give the devs some feedback on how many people think its a worthwhile use of time.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

I voted no for art/development time reasons as well so I put a footnote on mine that is "for initial release".

If they want to go back after release and add a bunch of variations for each unit type (different sexes, skin colors, heights, weights, etc.) then great but I'd actually prefer that for the initial release they focus on one character model per unit type (so all 4 characters in a high men spearmen unit look EXACTLY the same for example.)

If they have more resources (time, money, etc.) to make more models before launch, like if they're waiting for some programming stuff or music or something before release anyway, then I'd rather them focus those on making models for more unit types, heroes, champions, and main wizards over adding purely cosmetic variation to the city produced units.

Precisely. Political correctness in a 4X game isn't very important in light of limited resources.

For EVERY kind? No. Won't work for some races. If you had said, "for some units", then i'd be more tempted to say yes. it might work for some as later DLC, but not all units should be mixed gender because i can't see it working for some factions.

Actually, thanks to Asmodai for bringing it up, on the skin colour aspect, do you think it would be possible for thier to be a 'slider' for skin colours? Y'know, set the slider to the skin tone you want at the start and boof, all your faction are that colour skin wise. (not carried over to other factions if you take over cities). I mean we have something like that for 'faction' colours havn't we? Can that be done easily enough or is my lack of know-how showing? (humans get tannnish colours, dwarfs get... beard colours XD, darkelves are shades of blue-green, Elves shades of red-yellow, that type of thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirno9destiny View Post
    For EVERY kind? No. Won't work for some races. If you had said, "for some units", then i'd be more tempted to say yes. it might work for some as later DLC, but not all units should be mixed gender because i can't see it working for some factions.
    I said all Humanoid units. I am pretty sure this does not include Insectoids, Draconians, Golems, or most of the Undead, except for stuff like zombies that can be easily identified as male or female.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror

As there is unlikely to be a unit editor as there is in the Elemental games where you can create your own units I don't think it would really be a constructive use of time to create female versions of units (and it sure as hell isn't a half-day doddle as some are making it out to be). One or two female units maximum for the High Men faction with perhaps the Dark Elves maintaining the matriarchy theme of D&D would be my preference. The problem with gender equality in games is that everything ends up being the same. A unit of (for examples sake) Healers or Archers could be female, but that should be a something that gives them a uniqueness rather than just a 'huh'. There is also the counter-argument to 'it's a fantasy anything can happen', that being all of it is in some way based on human history. Human societies have been predominantly patriarchal and war the preserve of men, and we don't know if this is going to be the basis for, say, High Men society. In fantasy such as LoTR Tolkien has a plot point that Eowyn dresses as a man to go to war, so gender equality is based on what particular fantasy world the author intended.

I really don't want the forced gender equality in WoM that was so prevalent in the cringe-worthy HoMM6. I mean, there's even a female support unit that criticals by levitating above ground and firing light magic from her boobs. I'm not even kidding. It's like when men go out on the town dressed as school-girls; they always try to look as slutty as possible as though that's the only interpretation there is. It's even more pronounced in the fantasy genre it's either sexy witch-elves, thigh-booted Succubi or light-boobing nuns. I suspect this is more to do with the male-orientated world of game development, but it's been like that since I stated gaming in 92' and hasn't changed that much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast