Thread: Endonyms vs. Exonyms

Endonyms vs. Exonyms

So, like, "insectoid" is hopefully just a descriptive placeholder name for the race, not what it'll actually be called... right?

Because when we're talking about intelligent, language-using races, let's please use endonyms -- what the race in question calls itself -- rather than exonyms like "insectoid" or "lizardman". That is to say, external, generally less than exactly respectful descriptions that, we have to imagine, are what the setting's obligatory Racist British Empire Standin faction calls them when they're talking about how awful furriners are down at the pub.

Encoding that kind of casual disregard of other thinking beings into the actual guts of our game systems seems like something we can get past by 2013 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosprime View Post
    So, like, "insectoid" is hopefully just a descriptive placeholder name for the race, not what it'll actually be called... right?
    I believe that to be correct. What we voted on what an insect based concept race with no specific culture and such attached (that will come later) so "insectoid" is just a descriptive placeholder.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosprime View Post
    Because when we're talking about intelligent, language-using races, let's please use endonyms -- what the race in question calls itself -- rather than exonyms like "insectoid" or "lizardman".
    I'm not sure that particularly applies. Again we don't have a specific culture for the "Insectiods" at this point but being insect based they don't necessarily have vocal cords. The sounds they produce may be entirely different or they may not even use sonic based communication at all, perhaps they telepathically communicate using mental pictures, who knows.

Even in the real world english speakers (at least Americans) don't call countries what they call themselves. For example German vs. Deutschland or Japan vs. Nippon. Are these offensive terms (I honestly don't know)?

Wait, does this mean the High men are calling themselves High men?
    Wow, that sounds arrogant. They are not the race of man, they are the HIGH MEN! Higher than all other men... I assume their cities are built close to herbs of questionable purpose.