Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resurgence

Hybrid View

Resurgence

Resurgence
    Circles: Death, Biomancy
    Description: Target destroyed Zombie or Skeleton unit is brought back to life (or undeath!) at 70% health.

This one probably doesn't need a great deal of debate. It's simply a negative energy “raise dead” spell.

At first it may not seem super useful, but keep in mind that The Unhallowed aren't mindless undead. They gain experience and levels. Bringing back an elite unit of Skeletal Archers is going to be a lot better than just making new one. Because of this I think it's a good fit.

Thoughts?

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Initially I had a one Resurgence per unit per battle restriction to stop prevent exploiting but I reckon the 70% health thing balances that out. I think I'd still give it a highish mana cost to prevent exploiting in the early game as you are essentially resurrecting units.

Besides, I really like the word 'Resurgence'. I can't stop saying it now. People in the office think I'm a crazy person.

i like it.Mechanics look nice, mana cost will do the balancing.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    One thing that frustrates me in such games (it did a lot in HOMM3 for example) is when such tactical spells to bring back your units can only be cast during the battle, so if you want to save your troops, you actually have to make the last unit of the ennemy to survive so you can cast your resurrect/resurgence spells.

So while I like the concept, I hope you'll have a way to cast it after the battle is over, either just let the winner of the battle cast spells in the tactical screen once the battle is over, or allowing to cast those spells from the overland map too.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    One thing that frustrates me in such games (it did a lot in HOMM3 for example) is when such tactical spells to bring back your units can only be cast during the battle, so if you want to save your troops, you actually have to make the last unit of the ennemy to survive so you can cast your resurrect/resurgence spells.
    All 4X games with tactical battles have this 'feature.' I happen to have grown to like this feature as it adds another element to the strategy involved. Remember that resurrection spells are extremely powerful because if you can win every battle with taking little to no attrition loss, then before long you can steamroll because you will be the only one with veteran units.

If there is a Strategic spell to resurrect units (for both living/unliving) then it needs to be in a higher Rank in the Circle than the Tactical version and cost more mana.

I agree. Strategic level resurrection spells should be harder to cast if we even allow it. Clerics that just finished off an army of undead are going to do what it takes to make sure they don't come back. After undead defeat a group of paladins there's not going to be a lot left to bring back to life. At least, that's my opinion.

Post battle it should almost work like summoning and bring them back at your summoning circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Post battle it should almost work like summoning and bring them back at your summoning circle.
    Exactly. That is the exact mechanic.

Looks like we have a consensus

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I think Kilobug's point wasn't about when the enemy won, but when you are wining, but weirdly have to not kill the last enemy to be able to use your tactical Resurrection spell, whether it is this one or some other one, because once you do the fight is over and you can't bring those elite skeleton archers back anymore.

I understood that point which is why I said it adds to the strategy of the combat...
    Do you risk possibly losing another unit delaying the killing blow one turn so you can resurrect a unit???
    Which is why the Strategic version needs to be more costly, if it exists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast