Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resurgence

Oh, well, I missed the point, but my point still stands, lol. Of course, I admit it does kind of kick it back in the "I'll think about it" category. (For later anyway, for now it needs to be a tactical only spell.)

Caster of the Inner Tower
    A way to keep it "tactical only" and yet mitigate the problem I was speaking about is allowing the winner of a battle to have "n" (like, 1 or 2) free rounds of tactical spell casting after the end of a battle.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Another idea related to my previous post : maybe the "resurgence" (and similar, like "raise dead"/"resurrection"/...) spells could work only just after the killing blow. You can only raise a dead unit just the tactical combat round after the killing, or maybe in the next two. So you can't just wait for near the end of the battle to raise your dead troops, mitigating the "I let the last ennemy unit alive so I can cast my resurgence spells on all the units I lost before" problem.

Could even be a difference between undead an living : undead can be raised with "resurgence" in the 3 tactical combat rounds after their death, but living units with "raise dead" only in the combat round just after their death.

Allowing you to keep the battle board open after the battle ends is a good suggestion. It solves a number of the "I won, but I lost..." issues. I like it.

If we run with that I don't think we need to put a time limit on the spells. I'm afraid that will just annoy people. I do see the tactical decisions it could force you to make, but I think the main feeling it would stir up would be "annoyed", lol.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I'm not in favor of keeping the combat going. It sounds like both sides will be able to retreat. If I realize that I cannot win the battle, but I can kill something, I'm going to want to inflict attrition to my enemy before I retreat. If the unit or two that I killed can just be resurrected after I'm done retreating, no attrition.

At it's heart WoM is a wargame. We're all going to lose units. Get over it.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Well, it's not a matter of "losing units", it's a matter of being frustrated by something which feels like a technical limitation and has no verisimilitude. If by keeping an ennemy unit alive (like, trapped in a web, or alseep, or whatever) you can keep casting resurgence spells again and again and then give the final blow, but if the last ennemy unit is killed earlier, you can't raise back your troops, it's frustrating and doesn't feel natural at all.

If you want some units to be killed, you should find other ways that have verisimilitude. Like my previous idea of "you can only raise units just after their death", or maybe you can raise a given unit only once per battle, or maybe there is a roll to make for the resurgence/resurection to succeed, or the resurgence/resurection has a permanent cost in XP or HP for the target, or... dunno, but not a "well, combat is over, so tactical screen goes away and you can't cast the spell anymore".

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    It's all part of the strategy and balancing of the spell cost. It's also a game with limited realism. Not every mechanic used in the game is going to be realistic.

Yes, it is frustrating to not be able to resurrect your unit. I've run into this issue plenty of times myself. I simply shrug my shoulders and get on with the game. The only time perma-death is a deal breaker is in a game like Fire Emblem where there is also a finite amount of experience.

Play testing

any thought about an exp penalty for the unit dying but then is resurged?

I hadn't considered it yet. We could do it if people like the idea

What would be the point of resurrecting a unit then rather than just building a new one?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast