Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foul Air

Foul Air

Foul Air
    Circles: Death, Destruction
    Description: Each turn, all units in the universe roll a fort save or take minor ability damage from poison fumes.

OK, this is crazy, end of the world, Armageddon type magic. People have said they wanted it. Well, here it is. It's going to have to be late game, high maintenance cost, etc. It can be dispelled, cities can be defended against it, etc. Anyways, it pretty much writes itself.

Thoughts?

Also, we might want to put this in Air, not Death.
    Last edited by Aaron; 06-27-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Quick Thought

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I tend not to like Armageddon type spells. The Dawn of the Dead spell was one thing - it isn't too terribly difficult to wipe out some low level undead. In my mind Armageddon spells are un-fun, too easy to exploit, etc...

Also, the name Foul Air sound like a lower level Tactical area effect spell.

A)I don't like how it hits the caster's units as well as everyone else's.

B)The word "universe" should be changed to "multiverse" since these are different planes of existence, not different worlds.

C)If the element of Air lacks enough spells, definitely put this there. It's not actually a death spell as much as it is a harm spell.

D)"Foul Air" is not a very menacing name. "Noxious Cloud" or "Corrupt Atmosphere" or "Acid Fumes" are more evocative IMO.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    A)I don't like how it hits the caster's units as well as everyone else's.
    Well, that's how Armageddon spells always have worked. Otherwise it needs to target just a small area on the Strategic map.

Abecedarian Mage
    Sounds good. I like having powerful magic in a MOM kind of game. And it doesn't have to turn into some kind of an easy exploit if you design it properly and make it a difficult spell to research, cast and maintain.

IMO, Death-Destruction spell should not affect undeads.
    Could be an undead vulnerable to poison?

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    B)The word "universe" should be changed to "multiverse" since these are different planes of existence, not different worlds.
    What if it hits only one plane, of your choosing? Too abuseable, perhaps?

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Unhallowed are poison immune I believe.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

I like the idea for this spell. Maybe it could come in two flavours - one a true global, and one that affects just a single plane? The latter is probably more useful even tho its less powerful.

A few things to consider:

Armageddon hits everyone. Think about it before you push the “End of the World Button”. I mean, that's why it's Armageddon man!

Multiverse is a fine term. You have an excellent hair-splitter there, lol.

I think putting it in Air is a good move. Let's go with it.

It does need a new name. I like “Corrupt Atmosphere “ alright. Do we have more suggestions?

One plane isn't the Multiverse. Strategic spells only effect a specific area. Can this be considered an argument for “Planar Spells”?

Also, poison doesn't effect undead. So, there's a little strategy there. Use the undead, destroy the atmosphere, and win the game.

One last note: We can make the Armageddon spells optional (like so much else). A lot of people want them. Some people don't. They're easy to turn on and off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast