Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestor Spirits

Ancestor Spirits

Ancestor Spirits
    Circles: Death, Summoning
    Description: So long as the spell is maintained, all of your cities will have a special ancestor spirit unit to defend them from attacks. Either the unit is a generic one, or is the highest level unit that has ever been produced by that city and died(their ghosts defend the inhabitants. So if you built an elf archer unit in the city, it gained Elite level but died later, it would serve as the defender).

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure about the Death Circle. Believe it or not I think I would put it in Life. It strikes me as calling up “noble” undead protectors.

Thoughts?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I agree on it not being Death. Would it be Summoning or Biomancy? (Maybe I'm still unclear on Biomancy )

I think this spell is DLC material because I think each race should have a specific ancestral spirit unit of mid to top tier. In this case it's definitely Summoning.
    If it's raising the dead, then it's Biomancy and needs a new name. (And it's back to Death.)
    Last edited by ampoliros; 02-10-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo

Actually, I think it's perfectly reasonable to be considered Death magic. It's power over the dead, where Life magic (IMO) is about the vitality of the living.

It's kind of an odd bird if it relies on a unit having been produced by the city and then died (or died while defending the city). In most of my play-throughs, a good many of my cities didn't do much army-wise; just produce a few spearmen. Meanwhile, I had <5 main cities that produced my best units.

An alternate view (or different spell) would be that the ancestral ghosts aren't physical units, but protect the city from bad magics (a la Counter Magic) or giving defending units bonuses (True Light).

Abecedarian Mage
    I can see why it could be considered a Life circle spell. Many real life cultures have worshipped the spirits of the ancestors, so calling on the help of such beings in a fantasy setting wouldn't necessarily be the same thing as resorting to the dark and evil powers of necromancy.

But it all depends on how you've defined the Death circle in WOM. (I haven't read through the walls of text in the philosophy of magic threads, sorry!)

"Ancestor" and "Spirit" are both nouns, and that makes reading this spell's name a bit jarring. How about "Ancestral Spirits" instead? That gives you an adjective and noun that is much more natural.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    "Ancestor" and "Spirit" are both nouns, and that makes reading this spell's name a bit jarring. How about "Ancestral Spirits" instead? That gives you an adjective and noun that is much more natural.
    +1
    I guess my brain did the translation for me without my noticing it. Good Catch.

I like Ancestral too

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for life.

Good name modification. Also, I think we would need to kick the "produced in the city" angle in the head and give each race its own ghostly guardians. Which does push this idea into DLC content IMO.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I like the idea, but I wouldn't put it in "death", at least, not with this name. Life does sound good. I'm fine for it being for DLC because I took the "future content" add-on But if you want it in the "main game", it could be "the most powerful unit that died under caster's command", regardless of in which city it was built in ? Considering that spirits can travel "instantly". It's a bit weird if the same spirit fights several battle at once, but not enough to be a blocker to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast