Thread: Emerald of Brilliance

Emerald of Brilliance

Emerald of Brilliance
    Circles: Earth, Mentalism
    Description: The caster divines the most perfect jewel from the depths of the earth and digs it out with magic. Henceforth the jewel is placed in one of his cities, causing the unrest in the city to plummet as the inhabintants are awed by its splendor.

I like the basic idea of this spell, but from the description it seems like it could only be cast once. I think we need a more general pitch where it could be cast on any number of cities. As it effects unrest there might even be a “stacking” mechanic where the more cities you have that have an “Emerald of Brilliance” or whatever the better the unrest bonus. (I'm talking a small stacking effect here guys, nothing way too major.)

Thoughts?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    One alternate pitch is to make it an Illusion/Summoning spell Bauble of Splendor which would work the same way, only have an upkeep and take less to cast.

The Emerald would be a real thing that does not need maintenance. That's a slippery slope to add a magical permanent thing. Unless...
    The Emerald could be a target for Rogues to steal if Rogues get interesting things to do somewhere down the line.

The description just needs minor alteration...
    The caster divines a magnificently brilliant jewel from the depths of the earth and transports it out with magic. Henceforth the jewel is placed in one of his cities, causing the unrest in the city to plummet as the inhabitants are awed by its splendor.

It could remain Mentalism I suppose, but maybe should change to whatever circle Teleport would be in.

The name could remain Emerald, but maybe change to a more generic Jewel.

I like the summoning idea. An "Emerald of Brilliance" could still be a craftable/purchasable item that would work like a Bauble but with no upkeep.

I think the Bauble shift is a good one. For the moment we'll shelve the permanent item idea. It will need more background mechanics to make work right

This has been renamed Bauble of Brilliance. You can find a short description here: Tentative Spells

We need to decide on a tier so we can start roughing out the balance. Thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

When will unrest be a problem? I'd say Tier 3 or 4 as a start.

You make a good point there ampoliros. We need to flesh out unrest before we can really really give this a tier. (I'll try to make a post about it soon.)

OK, now we have some solid ideas on unrest: http://wastelands-interactive.com/me...dex.php/Unrest

Say we make it tier three. What should the effect on unrest be?

Well, plummeting unrest sounds like -50% or greater. I think Tier 3 for a single city spell is fine.

We'll try it with those numbers