Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle Luck

Battle Luck

Battle Luck
    Circles: Water, Mentalism
    Description: Waves of luck wash over your own troops. Henceforth, each round three units are selected at random from your side, and for that round they roll two attack rolls for every attack, keeping the better one, making it much more easier to hit. The same units can be chosen on another round.

This is an interesting concept. It will take some additional mechanics to add it as written, but it could be done. (Making two rolls and taking the high one is kind of a semi-standard thing.) We could also make it some flat “luck” bonus to attack and armor class. I think Water is a good fit because Water is tied to divination and the “luck” could be seen as sort of “Jedi Reflexes”.

Anyone have anything to add?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    The flat bonus is what made Halflings so dangerous in MoM. I suppose since this is tempered by being a spell it's not so OP.
    I would suggest that the random 3 units NOT change from round to round, or just make it global for all friendly units in that battle.

I think the "better of 2 rolls" mechanic was an attempt to temper the flat +1 bonus.

It just occurred to me that the MoM Lucky trait was +1 to ALL rolls, which was the OP thing. Your Jedi Reflexes suggestion made me think that this Luck maybe ought to be Attack, Defense and whatever saving throws are physical, like Reflex.

I'd personally rather see this be an "all units" or "specific unit" spell rather than random units.

To reduce the OP-ness of it, it could be restricted to "Non-veteran" units. (kindof like Heroism was).

Say we made it effect all units on the battlefield and added +1 to attack, defense, and all savings throws.

We can tweak the cost to balance it out.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Say we made it effect all units on the battlefield and added +1 to attack, defense, and all savings throws.
    All friendly units? or ALL units?

As stated it is straightforward and a good place to start.

I'd expect All Friendly Units, otherwise, the battle becomes "lucky" for everyone. And when everyone's lucky, no one's lucky.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

That said, the +1 to all is basically Prayer from MoM. If we have a Prayer spell, I'd like to see Battle Luck be a bit different (I actually liked the best-of-two-rolls.

Also, I like ampoliros' suggestion of only affecting physical saving throws rather than all saving throws.

I meant friendly units, lol.

I see that point about Prayer really. We're going to end up with something like that and we don't need more than one...

We'll go back to the original two roll idea. I can work it into the mechanics soon.

That being the case "all friendly units" is probably too powerful. So, I think the best thing is to go back to the original suggestion for the spell.

Rather than "random units", how about 4 units (rather than 3) in a 2x2 area? I'd even except 2 units in a 2x1 area. (or if we're able to multi-select units, let us select any 2 units as targets)

(I'm not a huge fan of "randomness", especially when I'm paying mana for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    That being the case "all friendly units" is probably too powerful. So, I think the best thing is to go back to the original suggestion for the spell.
    How about rolling snake eyes being a super fumble as the balance instead of limiting the number of units?
    Luck does swing both ways.

I like the idea of "random" with this spell (and any spell that involves 'luck'). It's all about chance after all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast