Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Infuse Sun

I think we should run with single cast, permanent effect. I think "Scorch Terrain" would be a good name. (Hammering together a few of those suggestions, lol.) Spending more mana to affect a larger area is a good idea. The costs should be exponential though. In theory you could do the same thing with the terrain changing spells. This one can be used as a weapon that can be hard to counter. The larger the area of the affect the more devastating it can be. Play testing

And, yes, it will need counter spells and it can be defended against. Any spell that affects terrain within a city's border will be subject to that city's spell resistance.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Any spell that affects terrain within a city's border will be subject to that city's spell resistance.
    If the area of effect chosen was 3x3 and only a 1x3 section of the effect area is within a city border and the city resists the spell, will the entire spell fizzle? or will the remaining 2x3 area get changed?

-----
    +1 to the permanent effect
    I do like the sound of Scorch Terrain, but Scorch sounds very drastic for leaving anything other than desert as the resultant terrain.

What about "Whither Terrain" as a name for the spell? Ampoliros is right that Scorched Terrain sounds more like a turn everything into a desert spell.

That's something that was missing from MoM... The idea that the city itself had a spell resistance. Would that resistance "border" be expandable, say.. through buildings? (Temple, Oracle, etc).

Also, is the idea that this can be reversed via units with Purify, or would it require the player to cast some other Life/Water/Augmentation spell (e.g. Change Terrain).

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I vote for the Name Second Sun.

The name may need some work. "Second Sun" is alright except that, in my mind, it conveys the idea of a persistent spell that could be dispelled.

I think having certain buildings increase and expand a city's spell resistance is a good idea. I say we run with it.

Also, "Wither Terrain" sounds like a great name for a mass terrain corruption spell.

ampoliros, that's a good question. Let me think about it...

I thought it could be dispelled, but that didn't change land back, it just kept other lands from being changes too? Because I thought this was a continual effect, scorching the world until it was all desert and wasteland.

Because, honestly, even if you get rid of that second sun floating around and scorching things, the deserts it made isn't just going to go away.

(And sorry for taking so long in responding.)

OK, I do see your point there. If we make it an Armageddon spell that shifts X randomly selected tiles one step toward desert it could be a real world ender for most races.

So, you cast the spell and each turn a group of random tiles get more deserty. If you leave it running eventually all you'll have is desert (maybe hills and mountains as well, we'll have to consider it, lol). Personally I like it.

Thoughts?

As said, that's how I thought it worked anyway with this statement in the first post.. "This is one of those out-there-super-powerul-world-changing spells"

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I've never been a fan of global terrain changing mechanics. I never liked the flooding in the Civ series due to pollution. (They don't do it anymore. ) Mass "climate" change is another one of those frustrating game mechanics that (possibly only one person) thought was a good idea that wind up being taken out in the end.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast