Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Infuse Sun

Well I don't want to scratch this one off the books just yet. We'll hang onto it for now and see what happens in "phase 2", lol.

Mage’s Assistant
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    I've never been a fan of global terrain changing mechanics. I never liked the flooding in the Civ series due to pollution. (They don't do it anymore. ) Mass "climate" change is another one of those frustrating game mechanics that (possibly only one person) thought was a good idea that wind up being taken out in the end.
    I really liked the climate change in Alpha Centauri, where you would have to convert your cities with Pressure Domes if the water level was about to rise and your cities were on lowlands. It was glorious. You could also make mountains and such with terraformers in it.
    It was cool in Civ2 as well. Might not want to use nukes or pollute if you're, say, the Netherlands.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Terraforming is really fun when done right, and really bad when done wrong. I'm confident it can be done right here.
    Last edited by Happerry; 07-20-2013 at 04:04 AM.

OK, so I'm considering moving this to the spell list. You can see the tentative version here: http://wastelands-interactive.com/me...ntative_spells

It is certainly tier 9. Should it be Fire or Destruction? I think this should only affect the prime material plane. Thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Tier 9 sounds a bit too much for a spell that harms/benefits you as much as others... not sure what we should do.

Hmmm... That's a good counter-point actually.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Battlemage
    It's missing the part where it turns forests to plains so they in turn can turn to deserts. Shouldn't this also convert tundras if the idea is to turn world into a big desert? This doesn't feel like destruction spell to me though. I mean what exactly is destroyed? Does it raze plains and forests in wildfires leaving only ash and dust or merely augments potency of sun drying up water sources? I guess it would affect seas too?

I'd prefer some different name for the spell too like "Eternal Sands", "Desertification" (which is a real term) or even "Sand Generator" or "Great Wasting" as a homage to MoM even if there the great wasting created corrupted tiles. Infuse Sun is so open ended that it could mean anything.

Anyhow if the function was expanded I'd see this as tier 9 fire terraform. Even if it hinders you as well. Albeit perhaps this could be like my suggested Endless Ocean where it can't affect tiles within a zone of influence of an existing city but with only *your* cities being protected.
    Last edited by Beregar; 11-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Beregar, the idea is that the spell is persistent and, given time, would destroy all normal life in the world. It would burn the prime material plane down to desert. And yes, it would need to affect the seas as well.

I'm not a big fan of the name myself. "Desertification" is probably the most accurate, but I don't like it. We need to save Great Wasting for corruption. Maybe we'll get some other suggestions.

I'm really not sure what to do with this one. We could add protection for the caster's cities. That would help a bit.

I wonder how much love this spell is getting anyway. It's alright, but it's not my favorite. I may shelve it.

Does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other on this one?

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Personnally I would only cast this spell if the race composing most of cities had significant bonus on desert titles. I don't think there is one scheduled in the core game, is there ?

Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    Personnally I would only cast this spell if the race composing most of cities had significant bonus on desert titles.
    Which was well performed in Fall from Heaven for Illians and their ice theme. And yes, such spells should be useful for some races only. Unless however you give it ability to improve tiles which can't be improved otherwise (like ice and tundra, changing into plains).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast