Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Infuse Sun

Battlemage
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm really not sure what to do with this one. We could add protection for the caster's cities. That would help a bit. I wonder how much love this spell is getting anyway. It's alright, but it's not my favorite. I may shelve it.

Does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other on this one?
    I absolutely love big terraforming spells like this so it gets +1 from me. I'd add the caster city protection though. However do we have a desert race? If not we could save it for desert expansion (like my endless ocean/great flood). It's a nice thematic spell but even so it isn't quite tier 9.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I like this one a lot. It's a good screw the world spell that doesn't just go 'everything explodes!' and can't be used as free sources of exp.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    So is the change going to be permanent? or when dispelled will the land change back at the same rate?
    If it is a permanent change, then we also need an opposite spell to move the environment towards Gaia status.
    Both spells need an upkeep of around 10 per turn.

It would be permanent.

I suggest we only have it effect the prime material plane (at least until we see how the other planes actually take shape).

Can we come up with a new name and lore pitch?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Scorched Earth?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm not sure about the name, but for lore I'd suggest having the spell move Elannra (I'm pretty sure this is the right name for WoM's world.) closer to the Sun.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

We could call it Second Sun because the caster has suspended a giant fireball in the sky..

Endless Rain's idea sounds fun too though. Maybe call that version "Orbital Drift"? Or perhaps Solar Lens for the giant magnifying glass in the sky version

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    +1 Solar Lens

So what about the opposite spell? I don't like having such a destructive element in the game without a way to reverse it.

So a Solar Shade?

Mage’s Assistant
    Perhaps the lore should be based less on fire and heat, and more on "anti-water" or dryness. Rather than making stuff hot, it basically annihilates moisture. Would make it both less of a Dominions ripoff, and also less "scientific". Solar Lens sounds, well, not particularly fantastic.(not that Infuse Sun is a great name ).
    Thus it would be sort of the opposite of "The Great Flooding" by Beregar. Perhaps it might turn sea tiles into land as well. Would also make it much more reasonable as a spell. IMO, apocalypse spells are generally "bad design" in that they're of very limited use to anyone. If the spell created more colonizable land from water, however, I could see someone casting it out of need, rather than out of spite. Thus it might have a real use rather than an obscure niche "entertainment" use.
    A trade-off between ruining existing land vs gaining new land mass from the sea. How would it affect tundra or the like?

From a fluff point of view, how about:
    "The spell creates an irresistible lure for the waters of the world, drawing them deep, deep beneath the surface, to the realm of the underground waters. Where rain once hit the ground and rose again as mist, no longer, now it sinks deeper to the earth, never to come back. Once-lush grasslands have withered, jungles lack the water to thrive, swamps have dried up. The seas too wish to join the underground waters, but not even Land Below has room for the entire ocean. The lowering waters have forced earth up from the depths, creating new islands and peninsulas where there once was only sea."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast